Square Enix 2008 Private Party News Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wowwwww i'm so excited for these games. :33

Mhm, I agree about the costumes being more realistic in FFvXIII (from what we can see) although i must admit I kind of liked the whole "there-is-no-way-you-could-ever-pull-that-off-in-real-life"
thing that made it more fantasy-ish I guess.

AND YES JUMPING.
I like jumping x3

Am I the only person who thinks that these 'realistic' designs are incredibly boring? They just seem so dull and dreary to me. I mean, all of the guys were wearing grey, black or white. Not an ounce of colour whatsoever. I even find that the designs of FFXIII, which I'm not too fond of, are more exciting visually than the designs of Versus.

Am I the only person who thinks that these 'realistic' designs are incredibly boring? They just seem so dull and dreary to me. I mean, all of the guys were wearing grey, black or white. Not an ounce of colour whatsoever. I even find that the designs of FFXIII, which I'm not too fond of, are more exciting visually than the designs of Versus.

You should pay attention and do some research before ranting about irrelevant issues. It's a fantasy based on reality, and it's design is meant to be glum. It's not boring in the least. You're just not open-minded to a new concept. I personally love Versus' design, and I'm eager to see what Square has in store for us. The realistic design of these games is what helps its appeal because Square now has the capability of delivering what they've been attempting for YEARS. Just accept what they're offering and be happy.

*gawks at the FF Versus 13 scan*

O____O

The new female character for that one looks hawt XD

especially in that pic where she's looking at that picture frame XD

You should pay attention and do some research before ranting about irrelevant issues. It's a fantasy based on reality, and it's design is meant to be glum. It's not boring in the least. You're just not open-minded to a new concept. I personally love Versus' design, and I'm eager to see what Square has in store for us. The realistic design of these games is what helps its appeal because Square now has the capability of delivering what they've been attempting for YEARS. Just accept what they're offering and be happy.

Don't bother lecturing me because I have my own damn opinion. I merely said I found the designs boring. How does that make me closed-minded about the 'concept' of Versus? I already knew what the concept is, thanks. I just said it was boring in my opinion. Ranting? That was hardly a rant. I made a simple comment and you blew it up beyond all reasoning. I wasn't even commenting on the design of the game as a whole, I was commenting on the designs of the characters. I plan on playing the game whether I think the designs are boring or not (I mean, I've finished XII and X, so distaste towards designs doesn't hinder me in the least). Don't tell me what I should be happy about. I'll be happy if it's a good game, not because its realism meets the standards that SE want to dish out.

Anyway, on topic:
The only design I remotely like in Versus so far is the one of the girl. Possibly because she has the most colour in her design, and I like colour. Her sword design is such a relief. No more mahoosive anime swords pl0x.

In all fairness, the designs of the costumes are entirely going to be based around the mood and plot of Versus, and by the looks of it, it is going to be a more realistic (if not the most realistic) Final Fantasy to date with a seemingly serious theme, so it would look a bit random if you see some weird person running around in a yellow jacket like Tidus. :wacky:

Yeah, I like colour in my designs, but nothing random like Tidus' wardrobe. He was ridiculous. I just mean they could make it more ... visually exciting than just black, white or grey and still have a realistic theme. Even subtle uses of colour would appeal to me more than no colour at all. Yes, I know Versus is all *dark* and stuff, but the girl manages to wear a blue dress. Even though it's dark blue, I'm just saying *slight* variations in colour wouln't hurt.

It's just down to my personal taste.

Yeah, I like colour in my designs, but nothing random like Tidus' wardrobe. He was ridiculous. I just mean they could make it more ... visually exciting than just black, white or grey and still have a realistic theme. Even subtle uses of colour would appeal to me more than no colour at all. Yes, I know Versus is all *dark* and stuff, but the girl manages to wear a blue dress. Even though it's dark blue, I'm just saying *slight* variations in colour wouln't hurt.

It's just down to my personal taste.

I agree.. This look is incredibly boring. No colour at all, and nothing about them that stands out. Sure it might be what they are aiming for, in which case I am not too keen on this anymore..
Dark designs with bits of colour they could use.. Perhaps similar in style to Amano's designs of Locke or some other character would have been ok?
But alas, it appears it is not to be... Not too sure what to think of this game now. It already is one feature down. Good character design.

Don't bother lecturing me because I have my own damn opinion. I merely said I found the designs boring. How does that make me closed-minded about the 'concept' of Versus? I already knew what the concept is, thanks. I just said it was boring in my opinion. Ranting? That was hardly a rant. I made a simple comment and you blew it up beyond all reasoning. I wasn't even commenting on the design of the game as a whole, I was commenting on the designs of the characters. I plan on playing the game whether I think the designs are boring or not (I mean, I've finished XII and X, so distaste towards designs doesn't hinder me in the least). Don't tell me what I should be happy about. I'll be happy if it's a good game, not because its realism meets the standards that SE want to dish out.

Anyway, on topic:
The only design I remotely like in Versus so far is the one of the girl. Possibly because she has the most colour in her design, and I like colour. Her sword design is such a relief. No more mahoosive anime swords pl0x.

Don't you think that you're being hypocritical. You feel that there should be more color in the design, and that it's "too realistic". That's a classic graphics whore statement. You are being close-minded because had you been open-minded to the concept from the beginning you wouldn't be making such a fuss over color. Simply because Versus isn't flamboyant doesn't give you or anyone for that matter the right to bitch about COLOR. Find something better to bitch about instead of the lack of color. I understand it's your opinion, but it's my opinion you should get the hell over it. If you're going to play the game and enjoy it all the same then shut the hell up.

On another note. When is the new media being posted?

Don't you think that you're being hypocritical. You feel that there should be more color in the design, and that it's "too realistic". That's a classic graphics whore statement. You are being close-minded because had you been open-minded to the concept from the beginning you wouldn't be making such a fuss over color. Simply because Versus isn't flamboyant doesn't give you or anyone for that matter the right to bitch about COLOR. Find something better to bitch about instead of the lack of color. I understand it's your opinion, but it's my opinion you should get the hell over it. If you're going to play the game and enjoy it all the same then shut the hell up.

On another note. When is the new media being posted?

When have I ever said that Versus is "too realistic"? Please, do quote me. How am I being hypocritical just because I like colour? Liking colour makes me a graphics whore? A bit of colour in a game makes it flamboyant? That's a new one. This argument makes me laugh. LOL I'm a graphics whore and my favourite games are Vandal Hearts and FFIX, yeah, really great graphics whore material there. I've not even bitched about it. I made a simple damn comment and you make a mountain out of a freaking speck of dirt. I AM open minded to the fact that SE are trying something new. Hell, Square did that with FFVII and it worked well. I just made a simple comment. That is all. I'll shut up whenever I want to =]

------
It was kinda ironic when I saw the girl's design. I actually thought: "Nomura designed THAT? He's actually getting better." ... Then it turned out the designs are part of a fashion brand. Then I came to my senses and remembered that I still dislike 90% of his designs.

I really hope elements of the storyline are posted soon. I'd really, really like for this game to prove me wrong. My initial thoughts of the game aren't too hopeful, but I hope I'm blown away ... not that I'm expecting much.

Three posts within the same page contain the same damn content. You discussing color or the lack thereof.

The realistic designs are "boring"? So you're telling me that you're not being the least bit picky about the graphics? So if that were the case than why even bother pointing out that the design is too "boring"? It's all classic signs of a graphics whore. Perhaps I've misunderstood you, but at the moment it's obvious that you're making more of a fuss about the graphics than anyone else here.

Vandal Hearst and Final Fantasy IX, by first generation standards those games were amazing and the graphics blew our minds. Brilliantly colored, and might I add flamboyant.

Definition.

flam·boy·ant
thinsp.png
Pronunciation[flam-boi-uh
thinsp.png
nt]

–adjective

1.strikingly bold or brilliant; showy: flamboyant colors. 2.conspicuously dashing and colorful: the flamboyant idol of international society.

Prime example of flamboyant... Vandal Hearts and Final Fantasy IX.I don't know. Perhaps it would be different if you werer wanting just a dash of color, but it seems to me that you're making this big fuss over not having a gallon of color splashed on top. So if I've misunderstood then please make more sense of it, but until then you're being a graphics whore because you're too damn picky.

You don't agree with the design, it needs more color, and it's boring... Picky? Yeah. Graphics whore.

It's not that I'm blowing this out of context it's that you're making more of a fuss over something completely irrelevant. The reason I'm even pointing it out is because it pisses me off when people are being too damn picky about one little thing.

Last edited:
Three posts within the same page contain the same damn content. You discussing color or the lack thereof.

The realistic designs are "boring"? So you're telling me that you're not being the least bit picky about the graphics? So if that were the case than why even bother pointing out that the design is too "boring"? It's all classic signs of a graphics whore. Perhaps I've misunderstood you, but at the moment it's obvious that you're making more of a fuss about the graphics than anyone else here.

Vandal Hearst and Final Fantasy IX, by first generation standards those games were amazing and the graphics blew our minds. Brilliantly colored, and might I add flamboyant.

Definition.

flam·boy·ant
thinsp.png
Pronunciation[flam-boi-uh
thinsp.png
nt]

–adjective

1.strikingly bold or brilliant; showy: flamboyant colors. 2.conspicuously dashing and colorful: the flamboyant idol of international society.

Prime example of flamboyant... Vandal Hearts and Final Fantasy IX.I don't know. Perhaps it would be different if you werer wanting just a dash of color, but it seems to me that you're making this big fuss over not having a gallon of color splashed on top. So if I've misunderstood then please make more sense of it, but until then you're being a graphics whore because you're too damn picky.

You don't agree with the design, it needs more color, and it's boring... Picky? Yeah. Graphics whore.

It's not that I'm blowing this out of context it's that you're making more of a fuss over something completely irrelevant. The reason I'm even pointing it out is because it pisses me off when people are being too damn picky about one little thing.

Ok... Please guys cool it down. This is painful to watch.
I am in agreement with Grand Lethal here, and I beleive what he is trying to say is that the CHARACTER DESIGNS themselves are not up to standard... NOT graphics. He is NOT a "Graphics Whore". He just wants the characters to look more fantasy'ish like this series is supposed to be, or at least colourful enough to look at... and not wearing clothes that you could be forgiven for thinking were out of the GTA series... Apart from the girl mind...

Also.. ~Genesis~ please don't try to patronise other people, slapping up dictionary definitions to put others down. It isn't right, and is not helping this conversation at all.

EDIT - Also... I don't think people are being "picky" for disliking character design, or lack of... Character design is always a striking feature in the FF series, and that is one of the features that seperates it from some other RPG's. I personally like the designs of 1-6 and 9 alot, and like a selection of those from other games. I think sadly SE are trying too hard to push a FANTASY series into being realistic, to a whole new set of fans.. Why should it have to do that? FF was doing fine before, and still would now... To be honest, I'd have prefered them to make a new series for these changes in style. Final Fashion!

Last edited:
OK, I misinterpreted what you meant by 'flamboyant', Genesis. I think we have just misunderstood each other. By no means am I being 'picky' of the graphics. I think the graphics do look pretty amazing ... it's just the designs of the characters that irk me. I don't want masses of colour slopped on top of them (some of the 'colourful' designs in FFX were horrendous and gag-inducing), and I've said that even subtle uses of colour, like the girl's blue dress, make the characters look more unique and individual. To me, the designs of the characters within Final Fantasy have been a big part of the overall design in the game.

That's all that I was saying. I think the overall design on the game is ... very different. Personally, I'm not too thrilled by it simply because the theme, "Fantasy based on Reality" ... I see sky scrapers and limousines in real life. Just like those suits or every day clothes in the character designs. They just don't have the "Wow" factor that other FF designs had, in my opinion. I am open minded to it, though. Maybe it'll be totally different from what I expect.

That's all I was saying. I wasn't having a dig at the graphics at all. All I mentioned was a little more ... "ooumph!" in the character designs. I know it's a fantasy based on reality, but I know many people who can dress up in their every day clothes but be vastly more exciting than the designs of Versus. I don't expect everyone to be dressed like colourful hippies stoned out of their brains, but I just think a little more than black, grey or white would suffice.

Okay guys, I will ask that you calm down here. This isn't meant to become a debate. Opinions are opinions so please respect that. No name-callings or further consequences shall be issued. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back