'Proof' Souls Exist

Squid

Suck my dick.
Veteran
Gil
Source: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/qu...roof-soul-exists/story-fneszs56-1226507452687

A PAIR of world-renowned quantum scientists say they can prove the existence of the soul.

American Dr Stuart Hameroff and British physicist Sir Roger Penrose developed a quantum theory of consciousness asserting that our souls are contained inside structures called microtubules which live within our brain cells.

Their idea stems from the notion of the brain as a biological computer, "with 100 billion neurons and their axonal firings and synaptic connections acting as information networks".
Dr Hameroff, Professor Emeritus at the Departments of Anesthesiology and Psychology and Director of the Centre of Consciousness Studies at the University of Arizona, and Sir Roger have been working on the theory since 1996.

They argue that our experience of consciousness is the result of quantum gravity effects inside these microtubules - a process they call orchestrated objective reduction (Orch-OR).
In a near-death experience the microtubules lose their quantum state, but the information within them is not destroyed. Or in layman's terms, the soul does not die but returns to the universe.
Dr Hameroff explained the theory at length in the Morgan Freeman-narrated documentary Through the Wormhole, which was recently aired in the US by the Science Channel.
The quantum soul theory is now trending worldwide, thanks to stories published this week by The Huffington Post and the Daily Mail, which have generated thousands of readers comments and social media shares.

"Let's say the heart stops beating, the blood stops flowing, the microtubules lose their quantum state," Dr Hameroff said.
"The quantum information within the microtubules is not destroyed, it can't be destroyed, it just distributes and dissipates to the universe at large.

'If the patient is resuscitated, revived, this quantum information can go back into the microtubules and the patient says "I had a near death experience".'
In the event of the patient's death, it was "possible that this quantum information can exist outside the body indefinitely - as a soul".
Dr Hameroff believes new findings about the role quantum physics plays in biological processes, such as the navigation of birds, adds weight to the theory.

I didn't exactly understand the whole thing (bit too complicated for my tiny brain) but what I did understand sounds pretty interesting :O

A soul is something people have argued about existing for a very long time now, so after reading the article do you think this proves that a soul is real and do you agree with their idea of what they think a soul is?

Sounds like a sound theory, and I believe it, tbh I don't care where I end up after I die as long as my thoughts still exist somewhere.

I understood it somewhat ((don't ask me how I understand it Dx))

Well hopefully the church nuts won't go crazy after reading this >>;

Personally I do believe the soul exists, and I understood the article even with the complicated words. To be honest I don't really believe science will ever be able to prove anything to do with what happens after death though, because nobody knows until they are dead and gone. It's an interesting theory, but I don't think it's anything more than any other theory really, we'll only know when we're dead.

Well hopefully the church nuts won't go crazy after reading this >>;
Why would church-goers go crazy after reading this? :huh: We've always felt that the soul existed. It's not surprising news to us. :lew: I think the only people that will go "crazy" after this is people who argued against the soul-possibility in the first place. Beside, no one should go crazy anyway. This doesn't (at least not yet) inarguably prove that there's a soul. It's good evidence and a great theory but it's not as solid as it needs to be in order to make believers and non-believers accept it as so.

It's nice that now scientists are getting closer and closer to somewhat proving it, though. :lew: If a pair of world-renowned quantum scientists say it's a possibility, it always catches my attention.

How do you go about measuring something like this? And, how would they know that this happens when someone has a near-death experience? I don't really understand quantum physics at all. It mostly seems to just be theoretical. I mean, it's not like they could force people to have near-death experiences so that they could see what happens.

Just know that quantum physics is fucking weird.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting it, but based on this it seems like you never "actually leave your body" you simply because completely unaware of things around you. Though, this conflicts with how one dissipates into the universe at large. The information would need kind of form or vessel, not just "your information is just trodding around town"

This doesn't make any sense, and they should go back to explaining quantum tunneling to me. :(

As far as I'm aware most scientists don't like the word 'prove.' They gather evidence to support or refute a hypothesis/idea. Even if what I read in the article is true all they are really saying is that after we die we 'dissipate' into the Universe. This makes sense considering we are made of 'stardust'. A lot of people envision the idea of a soul as 'you' after you die. Consciousness after death essentially. The evidence to support this is thin and there is counter theories to the old school soul idea in quantum circles suggesting that we are all living in a simulation. Even if after death we 'dissipate' into the Universe there is nothing to support the notion that our thoughts, memories, emotions etc. are floating about in the Cosmos somewhere.

Personally, I hate the idea of eternal consciousness. Being aware for eternity? I'm glad that most of the evidence I've seen thus far indicates that there is nothing after death. Just like before you were born. Eternal peace.

Being that 'soul' is derived from the Hebrew word 'nephesh' which means, generally, blood/life/etc., it's not a very hard discovery to be made :D

Protestants have chopped and screwed Christianity to the point where scientists are chasing after fictions. Such is why people nowadays have a negative opinion of Abrahamic religion- they labor under falsehoods of what it is about.

I believe everyone has a soul, I think that's what makes us human. Now there is scientific proof and studies behind it, but even before they started doing more research on it, I had always felt that way. I mean, we're just borrowing our bodies ya know?

I'm sure you guys have seen this video, but it's so trippy! I was like: "0.0 wtf?!" First I was sad bc the mouse :sad3: then I saw what happened afterwards and I was like :gonk: I KNEW IT, EVEN ANIMALS HAVE SOULS.

'Cept for Gingers. :mokken: :lew:

Back