Anime [Potential Spoilers] Death Note (use spoiler tags)

Oblivion_XIII

Shi no Tenshi
Veteran
Gil
FFXIV
Draken White
FFXIV Server
Phoenix
So, who else here is a Death Note fan such as myself? I started out reading the manga a little while ago, I'm currently waiting to get book 5. I've also seen the anime. I find it interesting, because it's not action, it's more of a mental manga/anime if you know what I'm saying.

Ryuk has to be my favorite character so far, followed by L (cant remember his name at the moment)

Last edited:
L (cant remember his name at the moment)

According to volume 13, it's L Lawliet, which is really a huge irony that L's real name was L.

Anyay, on that subject and of the series overall, has anyone read The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases? They were referenced in volume 2 of the manga, but there's actually a novel focusing on them that pits L and Naomi Misora against B. What makes it unnerving; is that B is what L would've been like as a serial killer.

On that note; B also gets one of the creepiest amvs ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC6c_iup3nk
(Intro contains a few spoilers. Just don't read the text of it.)

Do however, be prepared for the silliest character names ever. The three victims are Believe Bridesmaid, Quarter Queen, and Backyard Bottomslash (which sounds like a wrestling move).

A mild spoiler of it that doesn't need tags: This is also the first time L introduces himself as Ryuzaki.

I thought this was a pretty good anime...I really couldn't take it seriously at points, though. I mean, I realize people are DYING when their names are being written into this book, but the excessively dramatic music and the ridiculous pen-slashing-across-the-page robbed it all of all seriousness. As did the dialogue..."I'll take a potato chip...AND EAT IT!" <- definetely one of the worst lines I've ever seen. A little caught up in the moment there, Light. XD

This was, of course, until
L was killed.
That should have been the cut-off point, in my opinion. After that, it was extremely cheap and predictable - asides from Mikami, he was the most awesome thing ever - and it took the fun out of it. The final episode was absolutely horrendous and unbelievable...everyone was stupidly out of character and, really,
if they were going to be stupid about it and have Light die, they should have let L win, because he was actually worthy of it. Near and Mello were both crap - especially Near, a younger L with his hair dyed.

♥ Martel ♥;761437 said:
I thought this was a pretty good anime...I really couldn't take it seriously at points, though. I mean, I realize people are DYING when their names are being written into this book, but the excessively dramatic music and the ridiculous pen-slashing-across-the-page robbed it all of all seriousness. As did the dialogue..."I'll take a potato chip...AND EAT IT!" <- definetely one of the worst lines I've ever seen. A little caught up in the moment there, Light. XD

And now; courtesy of MSN...
Bardiel says:
makes you wonder just how much fun they had with those scenes
Bardiel says:
I mean, next thing you know it'll be "Light goes to the bathroom"
Puffs says:
XD I love how dramatic Light is
Puffs says:
XDD!!!
Bardiel says:
and they'll have this overdramatic bit where he throws open the door, bending back as the air rushes by in a sparkling flash and he bravely strides towards the toilet. All is silent save the thunderous footfalls paced in such a way that viewers truly do not know if he can make it in time.
Bardiel says:
...they'll probably have a multicolored rush of sparkles when he unzips his pants...like the entire thing is some sort of flint/steel spark generator
Puffs says:
I hope to god that happens
Puffs says:
it would be hilarious XD
Puffs says:
XDDD!!
Bardiel says:
cut to an upward shot while he's actually taking care of his business; done in a slow-motion freeze-frame with the walls blurring behind him while his face stares up towards the ceiling with a look of such pride that one might find on a five year old who just learned what "poopy" means
Puffs says:
XD
Bardiel says:
I mean, I seriously would not put it past them
Bardiel says:
they already had him in one of those "slow moments of awesome" while eating a freakin' potato chip
Puffs says:
that was the best bit in any anime.. ever
Bardiel says:
I can see why they do it though
Bardiel says:
I mean, Death Note's never been high on the action scale
Bardiel says:
so they have to...
Bardiel says:
uber-ize everything
Bardiel says:
"Sir! Our next sequence has Light yawning!"
Bardiel says:
"Well, have him throwing his head back as though he's going to let out a stentorian roar. Be sure to pack each swaying bit of hair with all the emotional intensity of something by Evanescence!"
Bardiel says:
"GOT IT!"
Puffs says:
XD!
Bardiel says:
"Add some dandruff in there too to catch the light. SPARKLES DANGIT! WE. NEED. SPARKLES."
Puffs says:
wwwheeee, sparklesss
Bardiel says:
*completed sequence aired*
Bardiel says:
*fans orgasm*
This was, of course, until
L was killed.
That should have been the cut-off point, in my opinion. After that, it was extremely cheap and predictable - asides from Mikami, he was the most awesome thing ever - and it took the fun out of it. The final episode was absolutely horrendous and unbelievable...everyone was stupidly out of character and, really,
if they were going to be stupid about it and have Light die, they should have let L win, because he was actually worthy of it. Near and Mello were both crap - especially Near, a younger L with his hair dyed.

1196807060137xy4.jpg

Okay, in all seriousness, something nice I noticed about the end:
Technically, Light outwitted Near. The ONLY REASON Near survived is because Mikami goofed up with the notebooks. If he hadn't gotten the real one out, Near would've swapped the fake one only and would've died when Mikami used the real one.

Quite funny how i was watching that potato chip episode today, worst line I've ever heard, just over dramatic.

I also didn't like Misa's voice actor, makes her seem like she's even dumber than she really is.

i've finished watching the anime...it was really good for me, it becomes one of my favourite anime..its a battle of minds, i just wish L make it till the end

Quite funny how i was watching that potato chip episode today, worst line I've ever heard, just over dramatic.

I also didn't like Misa's voice actor, makes her seem like she's even dumber than she really is.

Misa is Haruhi, lol

Actually during the first part, Misa was quite cunning; given how she was able to evade L (for a time) and track Light down before he even knew who she was. Even during the Yotsuba arc, she still managed to pull her own weight and help out in the investigation.

Unfortunately after the Yotsuba arc, she went downhill sharply and by the time Takada was on the scene again, she'd been reduced to a complete brat.

Oblivion XIII said:
It's not so bad in the Japanese version as it doesn't seem that over dramatic, it's still a funny line though. However, the English version is quite lame.

Martel said:
I thought this was a pretty good anime...I really couldn't take it seriously at points, though. I mean, I realize people are DYING when their names are being written into this book, but the excessively dramatic music and the ridiculous pen-slashing-across-the-page robbed it all of all seriousness.
I found it hard to take seriously at some times too. But that didn't really ruin it. As a matter of fact, I loved it. It kinda characterized the series. The intenseness of it all just made me laugh, it was particularly funny when I re-watched it with my friend. Good times.

..and if you really want to see Death note over-dramaticness at it's best, watch L: Change the World (The third live action film). One of the death scenes in that is so hilarious and ridiculous it had me and my mate on the floor in hysterics.

It was a big mistake towards the end of the series when they
killed off L. He was easily one of the best characters ever and the story essentially revolved around the conflict between him and Light. If he had to die, it should have been during the climax of the series, but instead it was only about 2 thirds in.

Death note is easily my favorite anime. But it kind of killed anime for me. After watching it, I was unable to find an anime anywhere near as good. So I ended up giving up on anime after watching it :monster:

Back