Chocobo Egg
Thief
FFXIV
Jun Sasaki
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
FFF
I just finished the novel (also watched the anime OVA) and I couldn't find a separate topic for this part of the FF7 Compilation, but I thought we should have one! So here I am, hoping to start a discussion about the novel.

We/I might discuss certain elements of the story, so leave if you didn't read the novel yet and don't want to ruin your experience with spoilers!

-------------------------------------------------------------

I really enjoyed the book! To be honest I watched Advent Children before playing the original game, and even after completing the game, there were so many elements in AC I couldn't understand/where to put (like who Denzel is, what geostigma is, why Tseng and Rufus are alive etc.)! But it was a great experience, not just because after the sudden end of FF7 I can finally know what happened with all the cool and lovely characters of the game, but I think I finally understand most of the things that are going on in AC.

It was really devastating to see how the world/human civilization was ruined after the Meteor incident, but I really loved to read how the characters tried to deal with the new world order. They still struggled a lot (I feel in some cases AC was their redemption - like Cloud and kind of Tifa as well) with the new environment/status, with the geostigma and their own feelings (mostly guilt). But they found new purposes and their new way of living. I also feel in some cases that I could relate to the characters better? Like with Nanaki, I really liked him in the game, but reading his thoughts and debates about his humanlike-yet-nonhuman existance made me feel much closer to him. It was the same with Rufus and the Turks, I kind of liked them in the game but didn't know enough to appreciate them more. I know I can relate to anybody better if I understand their pain and thoughts/ways of thinking and reading this novel just made me sure it is how my "sympathy" work super hard/fast. :,D

And what I absolutely loved was that we could peek into the fate and plans of Sephiroth and Aerith as well! Omg Aerith is such an angel. :,,< And Seph is a plotting, cruel little evil but I love him so much as well. :,D

What do you think about the novel? Any favourite moments/emotions/character stories? Anybody/some elements you missed perhaps?

I liked this book. :)

Again, spoilers... (In fact I'll add a spoiler tab to the thread so we don't need to worry about it)

For the Compilation material I think I've preferred the books (On the Way to a Smile and The Kids Are Alright: A Turks Side Story) to the games and movie (Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, Advent Children etc). Not as much as the original, of course, but just out of the Compilation additions, I think the novels give some depth which improves it overall. It also explains some of the changes in behaviour seen in characters like Rufus and makes how we see him in Advent Children more believable as we can see how he got there.

The plate dropping scene in the Denzel story was devastating and extremely well done. It was really interesting to see the circumstances of the drop from the perspective of those at the top of the plate. Much of the focus in the original game is on the slums and those living in the shadow of the plate, but despite the appearances of affluence, life was hard above the plate too and the Shinra company cared little about the inhabitants up there too. Thousands must have died at the top of the plate as well as below, and the way this scene is written really forces you to think about that.

Like you, I also found Nanaki's tale fascinating in the way that they delve into the psychology of the character (an identity crisis of sorts about whether he is sentient like a human or instinctive like any other animal). I think they did a great job with Red XIII in this.

Back