Marvel Comics

Prince Oberyn Martel

The Red Viper of Dorne
Veteran
Gil
Is anyone here keeping up with Marvel comics, either currently or going through collections of older stuff?

I used to read comics when I was a kid but stopped for a long time. The Marvel Cinematic Universe has inspired me to get back into reading them, as well as a couple of friends who keep mentioning certain stuff here and there over the last few years (Marvel Zombies, what!?)...

I've been reading most releases regularly for the past 4 months now, and went back and read through the latest runs of Avengers and New Avengers (mostly to set the stage for the Secret Wars event that has just kicked-off), Civil War and Spider-verse. For the most part I've felt kinda lost as there has been a lot happening in the universe over the years and a lot of characters I just don't know anything about, but that said I have really enjoyed most of what I've read. I plan on going back and reading through most of the major events that have happened though I'm focusing mostly on the current ongoing stuff.

I'm really excited as to what's happening right now with the new Secret Wars event. Its really weird (in one region of Battleworld, Scott Summers replaces Xavier... suit and mobility thing n'all), confusing (some characters have multiples running around existing at the same time in different regions) and dark as fuck (main Secret Wars series, Zombies) in some places but also a lot of fun and nostalgic in others (X-Men '92, based on the old animated cartoon). The event includes/ will include new takes on some old stories (Infinity Gauntlet, Age of Apocalypse, Civil War) which is pretty cool, even though I know little about most of the original stories. It seems to be building up to a great jumping on point for new readers whilst not being a real reboot at all, something that I've heard DC has attempted recently with not the best results.

What are your thoughts on the Marvel Universe? Anyone have any recommendations about what events, stories or characters I should look into? and if you've been reading it, what about this years Secret Wars?

I have no clue what they're doing with secret wars but I hope it'll end up well. [Steve riding a dinosaur searching for Bucky I mean ??? wow ok]

my ultimate fav marvel comic has got to be Young Avengers, I love Hulkling so much so I suggest starting it. [didn't like the second volume, both art and story-wise but still, glad they kept Hulkling, Wiccan and Hawkeye (kate) in secret wars]

I have no clue what they're doing with secret wars but I hope it'll end up well. [Steve riding a dinosaur searching for Bucky I mean ??? wow ok]

my ultimate fav marvel comic has got to be Young Avengers, I love Hulkling so much so I suggest starting it. [didn't like the second volume, both art and story-wise but still, glad they kept Hulkling, Wiccan and Hawkeye (kate) in secret wars]
I think I have a pretty good idea of whats going on, why and where they are going with it. They have basically consolidated all the different timelines/universes into one, bringing everything since '61 to a conclusion, and are now (through Secret Wars and its Battleworld) building up to a new point 0 to start a whole new universe, whilst paying homage to many popular stories and characters from the past with weird and wonderful twists (like you said, Cap and Devil Dinosaur!). Hopefully the result of Secret Wars will be good as it has been so far!

Thanks for the Young Avengers recommendation! I'll probably get on that after reading Avengers: Disassembled. :)

Back