Lord of the Rings

SapphireStar

♥ FFF's Matt Bellamy Pervert ♥
Veteran
Gil
I could have sworn there was a LOTRs thread for the book. Surprised there isnt. I couldnt find one ...

Anyhoo, I know there are LOTRs fans out there, not just of the films, but the books themselves. Ive recently been reading a book that looks at Tolkiens life and his workand I was shocked that some people had labelled it as a childs fantasy book! How many childrens fanasy stories are over 1,216 pages long???

I guess people still see it as a childs fantasy novel today as younger people are reading more of Tolkiens work and I guess the films can be thanked because Im sure none of them would have gone and given it another look if it didnt have a blockbuster movie or 3 under its belt!

It took me a year to read all 3, I'd gone and bought the thick triliogy paperback! I did find it difficult to read at first because Tolkien can go into so much detail, but then you get use to the landscapes, characters and suddnely your going along at a good pace throughout. I also own the Hobbit and the Silmarillion. Im going to get a few art books for crimbo as well. Plus I want to go and see the London stage performance.

Any one else a fan of this great collection?

Yes, I love the Lord of the Rings books. It's truly a great story. It took me a while to get into the first book because it does start off a bit slow; but once I got into it, I couldn't put it down.

I can't believe people label this as a child's fantasy. The way it's written, it seems more for the young adult/adult crowd to me.

I do own The Hobbit, The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales as well. I really enjoyed The Hobbit. It had a nice light-hearted feel to it. I'm still reading the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales.

Greatest trilogy ever. I only read the books after seeing the first two movies myself, but I prefer them by far. The extra detail makes the whole thing a lot more epic, but at times it can be tedious. Tolkien goes into too much detail when describing an environment, I think.
I wish they'd put the proper ending into the films though, with the conquering of The Shire. That would have made Return of the King epic beyond measure.

I thought there was one...or maybe that was thread in the movie section....I could not see one there now...

Well the Hobbit is a child fantasy definitelly, but not LOTR....I think people think of Hobbit and then stuck LOTR in the same boat since Hobbit begins the LOTR tale in general. But LOTR is on different level, and anyone who read it cannot possibly place LOTR into child fantasy genre. Silmarillion further more is definitelly not a child's play... it took me few attempts of reading parts of Silmarillion over and over again, to connect time periods and characters and events, and even to begin to understand what Tolkien ment with it between the lines....

Indeed, they are excellent books. Although I did a weird thing and read them in reverse order, I was young at the time so a cover with a large scale battle on the front was instantly appealing. Obviously didn't understand all of the book at the time but I enjoyed it none the less. Read Two Towers after that and then Fellowship about a year before the first film came out. I did go back and read them in order. I read the Hobbit when I was really young but I'll be damned if I remember any of it.

I read The Hobbit before the films came out and I really enjoyed it. I had actually never heard of The Lord Of The Rings at the time but I would have read it. Many moons later when the films came out, I felt I had to read the books first but all my friends were going to see it at the cinema so I felt compulsed to go and see it aswell. After I saw the films I read the books and thoroughly enjoyed them:).

I've read the books once a year thusfar. Not including the Hobbit, but I have read that twice since buying it a few years ago. I didn't exactly love the trilogy when I first read it, mainly because of the way Tolkien obsessed over the smallest thing... a leaf, for example.

After watching the films however, I decided to read them all again. Made much more sense, and I found I enjoyed them more considering that I know have a clearer image of what it was Tolkien was trying to say.

Back