greenyxi

Veteran
Gil
Chocobo Egg
Kuja
Garnet
Tifa Lockhart
Sabin's Tent
Hey there folks, here's the replay I was talking about! Alundra is a great adventure game, with dark themes and horror elements throw in throughout! There are also platforming bits and...well, other genres here and there. Everyone compared it to Link To The Past if that's any indication of what we're heading into ;).

Alundra was developed by Matrix Software and brought on over to us lovely chaps in the UK by Psygnosis. In the US, I believe it was Working Design? I'm not entirely sure. Either way, we never would have seen this on PSN if it weren't for Monkey Paw Games. Thank you! :)

Anyways, this is such a huge contender for the best game of my life award! I've always loved this game, ever since I was but a wee greeny and hope to god you love it too :). I actually picked this game to replay purely because of nostalgia for both the game and the series (since I recorded the series a few years back when my Youtube channel first started).

If you fancy giving this game a go for yourself (maybe playing alongside me?), then it's only £4 on the PS3, PSP and PS Vita PSN stores. It's playable on that PS Vita TV thingy :). It's cheap enough for a physical copy too, if you'd prefer that.

Episode 1 - The Village Of Inoa

https://youtu.be/emBp0vRsz6w

Oh yeah! Since I'm not uploading an opening for this series (I've set up a card in the video to take you to the opening of old), I'd better explain what this vid actually accomplishes huh? Well, we meet Alundra and meet the crew of the Klark ship! Inoa isn't far off so we make it there pretty quick (after a wee bit of drama) and meet our father figure for the game: Jess! The village of Inoa sure is lovely huh? A few kooks hanging around, but you'll grow to love them I'm sure ;).

Thanks so much for watching! We'll head on over to the Tarn's Manor next time and see what the dungeons are like :D.

P.S. What do you think of the border that kicks in at around the 3-4 minute mark? I made it with no GFX skill, so I hope it does the job :).

Episode 2 - The Blob That Ate Everyone

https://youtu.be/7fQci7WpE7M

Hey there folks, welcome back to Inoa! Not that we stay there long, what with our trip to Tarn's Manor being top on our priorities! We should have dragged Septimus along but I guess he needed to stay just in case Wendell's problem got a wee bit worse :s.

Anyways, I kind of love Tarn's Manor as an opening dungeon. It's really basic, but it feels like you're exploring the secrets of an old mansion, like in Clue (Cluedo to us brits). We even get to meet up with Melzas face to face for the first time and god knows, no one wants that :/. It's worth it for the Book of Elna though! :lew:

Anyways, we actually make it back to Inoa unscathed and with the help of Septimus, we jump on into Wendell's dream; the first nightmare dungeon! It's all simple enough, but don't you love that music? It's creepy as hell and the screams really kept me up at night when I was but a wee greeny. Oh my lord, that boss though. gelatinoid is simple enough; just stabby stabby for a bit and keep running when he goes invincible for a sec. Easy times ;).

Finally, we head on over to the sanctuary/church to meet Giles and Ronan, the religious people of the village. They seem perfectly fine and not overly taken by the religion like some people, so it's good to have them on our side. A good bit of prayer won't harm anyone, am I right? ;)

Thanks so much for watching folks! See you next time when we head back and speak to Septimus. It won't be long until a new problem arises...

Episode 3 - It's Off To Work We Go!

https://youtu.be/SIu0ZUrRNHA

~Heigh hoooooooooo!~

Hey peoples lmao! This time around, it's time to take on Olen's arc! Olen is the main miner of the village and is trapped in a dream where the monkey murgg are attacking him and his team in the mines :gasp2: You'd be surprised to find that it's not all about the dream this time though, 'cause we only enter that to find out what happened exactly. There's only one important thing about the dream really though...

As for the mine, I get a little bit carried away and that's why this episode turned out so long :wacky:. The mine carts are so much fun here lmao! Reminds me of that time I went to Disneyland Paris and went on that...minecart ride (funnily enough).

We also meet the head of the murgg (Zazan) and see where they all hang out 0_0. Finally, we head on back to Inoa and Sybill shares some foreboding predictions...maybe we can change the outcomes?

Thanks for watching folks! We'll check out the cemetery next time to pay our respects for our first death(s) of the village :sad2:.

P.S.
Eeep for the longer episode. Dead set on getting that dungeon done :/.

Episode 4 - Olen's Bouquet

https://youtu.be/YbRiUsc2lDc

Hey there folks, in the last episode Alundra was told by Jess to take a bouquet on over to Olen's new grave, so that's what we do for a pretty somber moment :(. It turns out the rumours of something strange going on in the cemetery aren't (unsurprisingly) untrue...

Lars is summoning us once again from the deepest depths of his crypt, so Lars' Crypt is where we're heading! This place is simple to navigate and has easy fights, but it's very well known among Alundra players to have the first tough puzzle in the game: the order of the saints (this was almost the name of the episode ha). All the solutions are in the vid anyways, as is the Ancient Guardian, which is pretty simple. No tough bosses have come along quite yet :D.

Finally, we see if we can go back through the crypt once we've taken the teleporter. Turns out...there's something stopping you within :/.

Thanks so much for watching! We'll see what the next problem is in the village next time. *mumble sweetheart mumble Surfer dude mumble*.

Episode 5 - Total Bumitude, Dude!

https://youtu.be/y7sqBMlBV-k

Hey there folks, it's time for a new nightmare to hit the village...no, there are two nightmares! :eek:

Bonaire and Nadia are two secret lovers (they haven't even told each other...) and they've both coincidentally gotten the nightmares at the same time! Nadia insists that we help out our surfer bro first so that's our first objective!

I love the concept of Bonaire's dream, with his perfect girl being some sort of siren, luring him to his death. Keep on chasing down Sara through this relatively straight-forward dungeon and you'll see what she's really like 0_0.

Thanks for watching! With great sadness comes great reward. We'll make use of the iron flail next time and check out a brand new section of the world map ;).

P.S. This episode and the next were recorded yesterday when I was soooo tired. I'm not sure if it sounds any different, but apologies if it does :s.

Episode 6 - Maddening Despair

https://youtu.be/sy21hr-NGyE

Guys, meet Paul! He loved the desert so much he died there...twice! ;)

lmao welcome peoples to a brand new episode :). Today, Nadia's death has gifted us with the iron flail; a weapon to take over from the dagger! With this, we can head over the now unblocked bridge and towards the Cliffs Of Madness. The shop is great here (don't forget that armour!) but the maze is a little tricky. Make sure to nab the items here since there's plenty of gilder and even a wonder essence :D.

Next up, Paul points us in the right direction in the Desert Of Despair! Once we nab another new item (the sand cape), we follow the gusts (as Sybill suggested) and make it all the way to the Ancient Shrine! ~phew~

Thanks so much for watching! This episode was pretty packed ha! We'll make a start on the shrine next time ;).

Episode 7 - Protector Of The Shrine

https://youtu.be/WyjzA6y5Sc8

Hey there folks! Another day, another dungeon! ;)

The Ancient Shrine is the most involved dungeon so far, in terms of navigating and puzzling your way through it all. Within this desert shrine, there are so many puzzles, so many skeletons and so many...worms? Bah, get ready for one of the most irritating puzzles in the game; that is until you figure out how to make the barrels fall on your head instead of the spikeballs :s.

As for that boss: the Shrine Protector is pretty much exactly the same as the Ancient Guardian from the crypt. This time it's much easier though, since we have a stronger weapon and slightly more health ;).

This venture out of Inoa may have been a little longer and more in-depth than anything we've come across so far, but it was worth it for the extra life vessel, some desert boots (or Long Boots as the game calls them) and a new sword! This is a replacement for the dagger that's more powerful and allows you to charge up and make a line of power in front of you :D. Excellent weapon! Strange how we got it so soon after the iron flail but I'm certainly not complaining lmao!

Thanks so much for watching! The kids of the village told us the tide has gone out now down at the beach so why don't we give that area a quick gloss over next time eh?

P.S. That test of strength? More like a test of magic, am I right??? ;)

Man how much did I LOVE and do I miss this game, sucks my PC's hardware is so damn ancient even my emulators struggle to run these days :(

Man how much did I LOVE and do I miss this game, sucks my PC's hardware is so damn ancient even my emulators struggle to run these days :(

Do you have a any PS console (other than PS4)? It's available on every one of them either by disc or PSN :).

Unfortunately at this point not, hopefully at some point they will give us access to it on PS4 :D

GothicSyn - I really hope they do but the only reason it came to PS3/PSP is because Monkey Paw took it on themselves to bring it over to us. I don't think it'll happen sadly :sad3:.

-----------------------------------------

Episode 8 - Coastal Conundrum

https://youtu.be/3hX-MFMfW_Q

Hey there folks, welcome to the Coastal Cave! This place has a great song running through it (though I wouldn't have said that a few years back); do you reckon it's depressing or just what is needed to add that bit of ambiance?

This place isn't too bad for the most part, but one of my least favourite "puzzles" are here: the spinning spikeball things! I spent a good half hour sorting that room out and it was only by luck I got it in the end lmao. Dear lord.

When all is said and done though, there seems to have been something watching us throughout the dungeon: the Watcher In The Water! This boss is a bit of a bugger, due to the amount of attacks you have to avoid, but he ain't all bad. Just charge up that sword throughout and release it (like the releaser you are) when he pops up and shows his thousand faces ;).

Thanks for watching! Jess isn't all that helpful about where we go next (although he does hint at Giles becoming a bit of an enemy of ours), but we'll figure all that out next :).

P.S.
This batch of episodes that I last recorded has, for whatever reason, come out all incompatible with Vegas; I've done nothing different :s. I'm back on WLMM for a bit due to this, so that means that I can't add the borders. I hope this is ok :).

P.P.S.
That water scroll will be our best friend soon enough. Or y'know...our Valentine.

Episode 9 - A New Villager Arrives!

https://youtu.be/QgB0ikrQ5Og

Hey there folks! This might be a shorter episode but it has the start of such an interesting arc 0_0. As the title suggests, we have a new villager among us! She'll fit right in with this friendly lot, surely? Or maybe she'll stir things up in the sleepy village of Inoa? We'll have to wait and see ;).

Also, it seems that the curse has hit a new victim! This time around it's the strongest of the village: Kline the hunter! I looove this section where he attacks Alundra and you get to see the village at night :). I also love his dream but more on that next time!

Thanks so much for watching! An infamous nightmare is coming next! Can we save Kline? I sure hope so 'cause he's one of my favourites :s.

Episode 10 - Winter Wonderland

https://youtu.be/Hgoc--pm3LI

Hey there folks, it's time for us to save Kline! As the latest victim of the curse, we have to enter his nightmare to stop him from becoming a werewolf (as Sybill predicted), so here goes nothing!

Kline's nightmare has the only snow in the game (one reason why I love it) and it has some of the best ever videogame music (another reason why I love it!). It is however the area with most of the ice pillar puzzles, so be prepared for a major bit of brain scratching (just file those fingernails down first...).

The boss is very different from anything we've faced to date, but he ain't so bad. If Kline gets sucked in, Alundra gets hurt so be prepared for that :). Amazing boss design by the way!

Thanks so much for watching! We'll be heading back out of Inoa for a new dungeon next time! See you there :).

P.S. I loooove all the villagers standing in a circle and watching the fight. I feel like they should be throwing weapons and stuff in the ring :s.

Episode 11 - Lizard Special!

https://youtu.be/QthIs7lY3hM

Hey there folks, let's have a break from Inoa and go down to the local swamp, shall we? ;)

With a new bow in hand, we can enter a new dungeon, which is our first dungeon that's all about the fights! The enemies here are tough and come in packs, so you'll want to head into the Reptile Lair fully stocked up with healing items! I mean, there are plenty of healing items inside too but it's better to be safe and all that, right? :)

There's always a boss around every corner too, so here's what I'd do when taking on Reptilicus Maximus. Ignore the midget reptiles; they'll distract you from the main problem and drain your inventory of healing items. Charge up your sword and aim solely for the boss! If he turns dark grey, make sure to attack him asap or he'll start healing himself. If he jumps, jump before he freezes you in place.

Thanks for watching folks! We'll check out Giles' curse next time and see just what our religious enemy dreams about :s.

Episode 12 - To Save An Enemy

https://youtu.be/fRUUrOEhCy4

Hey there folks, we're back in borderland! With new episodes being recorded, the techy issue is gone so we're back on track ha.

Anyways, this time around it's time for us to help our ol' pal...well enemy, but who's keeping tabs? Giles may have started telling the villagers that all of this is our fault, but we can't just let someone die for a silly rumour, right? ;)

This nightmare is a tricky one due to how you can end up going in circles in so many areas. Still, we persevere and make our way through. The way the walls look really creep me out. They look all melty :s.

Thanks for watching! I'm so glad we found the life vessel and gilded falcon 'cause y'know...there's no returning to this place later :/. See you next time for Magyscar! Or maybe something inbetweeny? :monocle:

Episode 13 - Playing With Memories

https://youtu.be/59eZj_SZFYY

Hey there folks, this episode was almost called "Veo Lu Sluice" but I thought the above would show what's in the episode more :s.

Anyways, a bit of an optional episode this one, but it shows off the memory puzzles that are involved with the teleporting arcs. It's not easy people! Ha. We also nab ourselves the odd item around the world map, including a nice juicy life vessel (anyone else think of those Haribo hearts when they see the life vessels? :).

Thanks so much for watching! See you next time for Magyscar :gasp:.

P.S. Is Meia perving on Ronan there? Dirty girl... :gasp2:

Episode 14 - Where Life Begins

https://youtu.be/mYugh4cBb6w

Hey there folks, now that we have the ability to activate teleporters, I'm more than happy to head on over to where we were told to go!

Magyscar is surely the biggest dungeon to date and is one with a fair few fire puzzles going on. It's not too bad for the most part, but I'm really surprised that I could get the gilded falcon! I usually skip that part since it takes me foreeeeeeever. Glad I got to show it off this time through :).

Thanks so much for watching! We'll be taking on the rest of Magyscar next time...I bet you won't guess what Zelda boss is gonna make an appearance? ;)

Episode 15 - Where Life Ends

https://youtu.be/zsPQP29LaCk

Hey there folks, it's time to wrap up Magyscar! There are plenty more fire torch puzzles and stuff to bite our teeth into, so happies! As for the boss, the corpse worm is definitely nabbed straight out of Zelda, but that's perfectly fine by me. The fight has been changed up a bit anyway.

Thanks for watching! See you next time for the church! Possibly. Maybe. Probably. :)

Episode 16 - Down T'pub

https://youtu.be/Fhkk6BlXo9M

We could go to church...or we could go down t'pub! :sir:

Welcome to an episode full of optional stuff! I thought it'd break things up a bit after the pretty long Magyscar dungeon :). We mostly do pub related minigames, but we also get to check out the gilded falcon shop for the first time! The Olga's Ring is pretty great; it boosts your attack power when equipped :D. We also find ourselves a brand spanking new, shiny magic seed! Gonna be reeeeally handy later on ;).

Thanks so much for watching! We'll go to church next time...probably stinking of booze and spewing in the holy water :s. Sorry mr priest :(.

Episode 17 - Sybill And The Sanctuary

https://youtu.be/ogMtS7aW1Co

Hey there folks, it's time for my favourite character to have her biggest moment of the game; Sybill has been found in a less than favourable predicament :'(. I hate this part because of...obvious reasons.

A murderer has shown himself/herself to the village of Inoa, but only through actions. What we need to do now is figure out who it is!

Could it be Ronan, who has apparently been worshiping Melzas (probably not really knowing about the demon he really is)? Could it be Giles, our enemy? Could it be someone we don't know who had a vendetta against (perhaps) freaky kids with psychic powers? Or maybe it's Meia, the outsider who has acted nothing but suspiciously since she arrived? As for me: I think it's Yustel! Sybill has been taking psychic business away from her and she had to put a stop to it! :eek:

As for the church/sanctuary dungeon, I actually love how scripted and puzzle-based it is! It reminds me a tonne of old survival horror areas where you'd use certain key items in certain areas to progress etc. Great stuff :). It's also kind of like that snowy mansion dungeon in Twilight Princess...kinda?

Thanks so much for watching! We'll be checking out Meia's dream next time; we have to find out if she's a killer or maybe just pure evil in other respects??? Or maybe she's just innocent. We'll see ;).

Back