Advent Children Japanese? or rather English?

Favorite Spoken Language?

• Japanese!

Votes: 49 63.6%
  • English!

Votes: 26 33.8%
  • Other...(state in a post)

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
As some may accused of "getting used to the original," I am the opposite. I did watch the Japanese version first, and loved it, but not because it was what I began with. I hated 90% of the English VA cast, tbqh. Simply because they were either a) cast for the wrong character, or b) not given enough/put in enough direction/emotion, etc. I can only name one or two voices off of the top of my head that I didn't mind so much (Reno, Vincent), but that's about it. I think the Japanese VAs nailed it pretty well, but you have to admit it's because they have a much more prominent career for voice actors over there, and people with much more experience to pick from.

Ive known Japanese for years now, tbh, I hated the Japanese VA, it was horrid, I mean I watch all my original anime in Japanese but the Japanese cast was picked for the wrong reasons too, Ayumi Ito sounds like she's on helium gas and Cloud sounds digsustingly OVERACTED compared to other better Japanese voice actors they could have picked, the Japanese one, Kadaj screams all the time. Last time I went to Japan, about a year ago, alot of Japanese fans were disappointed with the VA. But I find English-speaking fans prefer the Japanese VA cause they want to maintain they prefer originality. But the Japanese one is silly like the English in some places. The Japanese one is is overrated in the States.
A relative of mine in JP asked me to send her a copy of the English version, she didn't like the JP VA that much.

IMO, the english cast didn't know what they were doing either. I'm willing to stake a lot of money on the fact that none of them had even heard of the game let alone played it. It's probably the same in the JP version. Both were miscast really. The VA just looked at the characters and thought:
Cloud: Sunglasses, leather get-up ----> play it like Neo, dont care attitude
Tifa: Big boobs, kicks ass ----> play it like Trinity or typical
unrequited love girl
Barret: Black guy! In an RPG! ----> more energetic Morpheus, has fun w/ bros
Vincent: Emo guy. Vampire ----> The Crow, dark, too cool for school emo
Yuffie: Sugar azn ----> SUGAR AZN
Cait Sith: cat thing...that talks ----> Wtf. I'll do scottish.

Personally, neither are really that great. Not bad, but not great. But I like the JP version cause it was the first one I watched. I watched it 4 different times under different circumstances before I even saw the American version. Thats my reasoning.

I guess it's all a matter of preference. Some anime I watch and like better in English (FMA, GitS, etc) and some I prefer to simply watch the Japanese version. I still don't base my choice on what I've heard first, though. Like for FMA, I did hear the Japanese first but I prefer English; same with GitS.

I didn't like all the English Voice actors but I praise Burton he was amazing compared to the Japanese one. I prefer the English VA for another reason when I played the game I always imagined the characters spoke English since they look American to me, rather than Japanese. I always imagined that they spoke with mixed accents too.

There are only a few things that I like watching the English instead of japanese. FLCL and Cowboy Bebop are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

FF:AC isnt one of them. The dialogue just seems so forced sometimes. I dont think they did the localization as well as they could have. this could've made all the difference

I wouldn't necessarily say it was the English language that screwed it up, but rather the voices themselves and the direction they took. I absolutely hated Steve Burton as Cloud, Rachel Leigh as Tifa, whoever voiced Kadaj and whoever the hell did Cid (my God!) :tear: In fact, I've only seen it once and I had to skip through the movie in order to, as less painfully as I could, hear all of the voices. In any case I think they could've found voice actors better suited for the characters.

Yeah, the characters who didn't have a very big part were cast better IMO (except for Cid!) That usually seems to happen in a lot of English animes. I dunno why but it's kinda funny. And yeah, Quinton did a pretty good job. He was one of the very few I liked.

I don't think that one language is better sounding than the other. But typically, the Japanese VAs tend to be of a higher quality, since voice acting is much more acceptable as a career over there.

So I think if we got so real actors to VA, as was done for KH to some extent, we'd have pretty decent dubs.

For example, I hate dubs for the obscure anime, because the VAs for them suck. They sound perfect for cartoons (which demand sillier "character" voices), but since anime tends to be more serious, it just sounds ridiculous.

However for Hayao Miyazaki films, which are prestigious animated features, we get some pretty good voice acting, in which I find the dub to be right on par with the Japanese (Laputa is probably the one anime in which I actually preferred the English acting to the Japanese).

I have no problems with subtitles, i've been watching subbed anime and movies for years.

The original AC voice acting is pretty good, IMO. I had the misfortune of seeing the dubbed AC in EB Games one time though...and god, it was awful. I'm sorry, i just cant stand dubbing, even if it is decent (which is rare). I like to be able to hear what the characters originally sounded like, and it just drives me nuts when the words dont match up to the lips.

You wouldn't believe it but Japanese fans of Disney have the same discussion,they prefer the English VAs for original Disney films. Its ironic.

I redubbed Tifa today from Kingdom Hearts.
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=8VYjbOM14Lw) I was bored.

I guess it's just something with most people how they want to hear what the character should sound like. People who dont like to read subs are laaaazy. I dont see the problem with reading subs and watching the action at the same time.

Then again, i know a guy who cant even watch something in english and talk on AIM at the same time, so maybe most people just suck at multitasking or whatever?

And you didnt make Tifa say any funny or perverted things T_T

Holy shi- Frankie. You keep yourself busy making vids I see.

About your re-dub, it was pretty hard to hear. The background hum noise was hard to filter out.

But remember guys, this is an AC thread. Not a sub vs dub thread. If you wish to make a thread about dubbing, feel free to make one. But I feel we're going a little off-topic right now. Thanks

Oop, we're off topic.

In that case......subbed AC >>> dubbed AC, because Reno and Rude sound like absolute crap in the dubbed version

I think I'm gonna go with the Japanese version... I rather see a movie with the real voice actors... and besides, I like better Takahiro Sakurai's voice than Steve Burton...:dry:

i really thought the english voice actors were great and were pretty much exactly what i imagined, especially aerith, cloud, barrett, and tifa. i usually don't think the japanese voice actors are better then the english ones, and not just because i speak english, but also becaue they just sound funny.

Oh, definitely Japanese. As others said, subbed AC had actual voice actors. In the English version, it sounded like they hauled random people off the street and gave them a script. Sephiroth's voice in English was...so....terrible! "Good to see you, Cloud!" He sounds like he should be doing car commercials! Ugh! Tifa's voice was completely void of emotion. Cait Sith was....Scottish for no apparent reason?

Also, they randomly changed lines (mostly likely so that the voice and the mouth match up). And the lines in the original Japanese were usually superior.

Back