Is Axel Gay?

Is axel gay?

• Yes he's in love with Roxas (Sora)

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • No he just cares for his best friend.

Votes: 54 69.2%

• Total voters
I see a lot of close-mindedness in this thread.

The way I see it, Axel's feelings towards Roxas were intentionally left ambiguous. He DOES show signs of caring for Roxas just a little bit too much for friendship, and as someone already pointed out, it was more blatant in the Japanese version. However, it's also perfectly fine to just view it as a platonic kind of relationship. I must ask you this, though, would you still be so adamant against the possibility of Axel loving Roxas if Roxas were a girl? It's fair to say that Axel loved Roxas in some way or the other. It could have been strictly platonic, or also romantic and sexual; there's just no way to tell.

I don't think any of you can say that Axel wasn't gay any more than anyone can prove that he was. As long as we don't see two characters kissing and proclaiming their romantic love for each other, who can really say with absolute confidence whether they are gay or straight?

I also disagree that Disney or Square wouldn't put a homosexual character in a game. Sailor Moon was, what? Aimed at 12-year-old girls? Yet it had two openly lesbian characters.

Axel may have been gay. He may have been straight. We don't know and we'll never know; it was left ambiguous by the creators on purpose. Both interpretations are equally valid.

You have a valid point and I most certainly agree. Regardless of whether he is gay or not, is yet to be proven or disproven. So at this point, either opinion is correct.

I also disagree that Disney or Square wouldn't put a homosexual character in a game. Sailor Moon was, what? Aimed at 12-year-old girls? Yet it had two openly lesbian characters.

Agreed. Final Fantasy 7 actually contained a homosexual character, though a minor one. Mukki the bodybuilder was openly gay and constantly tried to get Cloud to... do stuff. In the bath :O! Though more of a joke character, but homosexual nonetheless.

As for Axel I didn't get any vibes from the game that this were the case. And by the game I mean Kingdom Hearts 2, I appreciate that he may have been expanded upon in other more recent KH games as well. He kept mentioning his friendship with Roxas, and how they really went back a long way. I'm not sure if that means anything more than a sort of brotherly love though.

But, as you say, who is to know what goes on in a characters mind, unless we actually see more explicit evidence.

Thanks for the head's up, guys. :)

Personally, I have to admit that I find the theories that Axel is either gay or asexual to be more convincing than any of him having been straight. It is very strongly implied in the game that Axel has never felt about anyone like he did for Roxas, so from that we can deduce that (if we 'disregard' his feelings for Roxas as brotherly) Axel was never once in romantic love for all his life. With anyone.

Given that, I find the conclusion that he was either in romantic love with Roxas or with no one/ possibly asexual (also a very plausible argument) to be the most sound.

This is just my personal opinion, of course.

In the end it doesn't even matter. What is obviously a fact is that Axel loved Roxas in some way as much as he was able; whether he wanted to have sex with him on top of that is, I suppose, no one's busienss.

Back