I hate Twilight!

I don't really mind the whole "vegetarian vampire" thing, along with the other twisting up of vampire mythology. I mean, at least Stephenie tried to make the book interesting a little bit.

But yeah, I don't see how fangirls can love Edward but hate Bella... Any girl who could like Edward THAT MUCH must be at least a little like Bella, no? 'Cause the book seems to savor when Edward talked about how he could "break" Bella by accident. Like, she's just too intertwined with Edward's personality and the romance itself to be ignored. It's only natural that if you like a character, to insert yourself into the significant other's role.

Last edited:
They probably hate Bella because they want to be in her place. They're all jealous sex fiends :P.
I was about to start reading the series but I'm glad I saw this topic. I would've gotten brainwashed into being a mindless Twilight fan.

I can't stand Twilight. I read the books, because I used to get in debates. I also joined Twilightsucks.com (It's really rather mature there for having such an immature name) and I never understood what parts they were talking about, so I wanted to read to share their frustrations.

It was really painful to get though the first book, the writing is horrid. I also dislike Stephanie Meyers cocky attitude towards something that adolescent teens are obsessed with. It's as pointless as Hannah Montanna being more popular than the Beatles were back in the day. Hannah Montanna, nothing against her, cannot sing as well as a lot of bands. Stephanie Meyer, cannot write well. What her story is like, is a fanfiction anyone could have concocted. Her Vampires also, don't seem like Vampires at all. They don't melt, they sparkle. They don't die by the stake. They don't sleep in coffins, in fact, they don't sleep at all. And for some reason, they're dead and can reproduce. (Also, they don't have fangs. why?)

It's just upsetting, to see something like An Interview With A Vampire being disowned by fans, and by people who aren't fans, because "Edward is so hawt!!!" Not only is Lestat a million times hotter, but he's an actual Vampire. And he doesn't sparkle, for the love of God.

Bella also bothers me. She is so painfully obvious a self-insertion of the author. Not only that, but she complains pointlessly about everything. It's annoying to read someone complain and never quit at it. Her romance with Edward, is dull. There is no love story as far as I'm concerned, being their love popped in randomly. "You're hot, you think I'm hot, let's do it!" I hate how young girls are looking up to Bella, a woman that must rely on a man constantly and beg him for sex. It makes me worry...
It's probably been said before. Twilight is the story of how Gary-Stu met Mary-Sue.

Oh Twilight...how low literature has become! Since reading Dracula and watching plenty of documentaries on the origins of the vampire tales, I refuse to acknowledge these books as 'vampire tales'. Sexism is evident just about everywhere, literature is not exempt by any means, but from what I've read in this thread, the author takes it to the extreme. For plot development, I can see some use for it, but really now.

I'm told that if one is to be a good critic, you have to have read the item in question...but since Twilight is in question, I don't think I want to be an educated critic. From what I can tell, society is going down in literature and that dribble on paper is leading the revolution. Bella Swan should be the new Elizabeth Frankenstein >.<

These books are almost as bad as PS I Love You. Awful writing paird with flat, uninteresting, unintelligent sexist stroylines and characters. A blatant attempt at cult-writing, aimed at any Harry Potter fans who happen to be emo or unintelligent annoying teenage girls.

Seriously though, the writing is HORRIBLE. Disgracful she was even allowed to be published. It's all money you see.

Angelic Shinigami you make a fine point, and I praise you for this Topic, What your quoted article and what you've said are things I absolutely hate, I tried giving this 'book' a Chance but Bella has to be the most aggravating girl to me, and this woman writes in first person?!?!

I hate that...I truly do... Three words to describe Twilight > and believe me this won't be hard ~ Empty, derivative writing and bigotry.

Oh and lets not forget itS Kinda like Moonlight from CBS.

Last edited:
Don't get me started on Twilight...

The writing is poor (I got so sick of the word chagrin, not to mention sparkly Adonises), the characters are flat, and there is little to no plot.

Bella and Edward's relationship is disturbing and I really don't understand why girls think it's romantic. Edward is a possessive stalker (has anybody attempted to read Midnight Sun?) and Bella is a needy co-dependent. ALso she's really pretentious and arrogant.

I actually read the whole series, Breaking Dawn was my favourite, just for the lulz.

I'm actually obsessed with Twilight but I have to agree with you in some points...First of all, I hate Bella cause she is just so idiot.All she says,does and anything else about her makε me sick and mainly her behaviour against Jacob.Then,I waited Edward and the other vampires burn into sunlight and not to be like Swarovski but actually i think Meyer made them look like this because it's a love story and not a thriller.I think the writing is poor only sometimes.About the obsession think it's the way that vampires can love,a way that you would die for the one you truly love and because of that you don't care about yourself or anyone else who wants to hurt your soulmate and harm your relationship. I know it sounds too melodramatic but that's the point after all.
Finally i believe that if the cast wasn't so awesome i wouldn't like the movie that much.

Aηgelic Shiηigami;467548 said:
I don't really mind the whole "vegetarian vampire" thing, along with the other twisting up of vampire mythology. I mean, at least Stephenie tried to make the book interesting a little bit.

But yeah, I don't see how fangirls can love Edward but hate Bella... Any girl who could like Edward THAT MUCH must be at least a little like Bella, no? 'Cause the book seems to savor when Edward talked about how he could "break" Bella by accident. Like, she's just too intertwined with Edward's personality and the romance itself to be ignored. It's only natural that if you like a character, to insert yourself into the significant other's role.

I'm fond of the Twilight saga, but I will say there are points in which I agree on here. The whole Edward fangirlism. It's ridiculous...People are obsessing over a fictional character and it's just outrageous. Sure he's a gentlemen and might be every girl's dream man or whatever (he's not mine...I'm married to my dream man :P) but going so far as to saying "I HATE BELLA!" it just goes to show people are jealous and wishing they were in Bella's place being with Edward. That alone makes me choke. xD It's ridiculous.

While I'm not particularly partial to Bella, I can tolerate her. She's not really that bad, she's just dense and stupid sometimes. She also makes you want to bitch-slap her numerous times because of how ridiculous she acts. Also, where Edward does carry on about breaking Bella, obviously people would have to like her if they're swooning so much over Edward. Bah who knows. I chalk it down to jealousy though, quite honestly.

BASED PURELY ON THE MOVIE........

Well maybe I should not post here but a guy needs to voice his opinion based on the film alone. My girl has watched this film a total of 3 times, once in theater and twice at our house. Of course she owns the damn thing, but I guess what I don't understand is .. what makes this so different than normal vampire flicks for you ladies? P.S. she read the books prior to even thinking about watching the movie.

I mean I don't have time to see all the responses previous to mine, but I would like to hear ya'lls opinion..

Of course I've been dragged through the movie once and now actually halfway twice.

I understand that Edward is an aggressively stalkerish vampire who hates Bella for being his own personal kind of heroine because of her blood... but to my understanding most woman don't like to even be persued like that in real life. Its like brute honesty with people, they don't like someone to be too real because it freaks them out. Edward is very protective of her and doesn't want to change her because being a vampire is being a monster and his opinion.. so she ends up almost dead because of it.

The story isn't really cliche, but it does seem disneyish at times. I mean the love story is... well blah. I guess the overall reason I hate the damn thing is because it is a lighter take on Vampires. Vampires to me (bias a bit on this) should be a bit darker and there should be more adult terminology to keep us men enthralled. I mean it was too.. childish overall. It just amazes me that my girl even likes this book because she loves a lot harsher vampire literatures. I would assume that a book 10 year olds read wouldn't catch her fancy, even if some of the "underlying" themes are too adult for them to understand.

That's my two cents.

The books are not TOO bad, but the writing is a little sloppy in places, I really hated the film however as it was blatantly obvious it had spent much too long in the cutting room severely damaging the plot, to compare this work to the likes of harry potter is a little blaphemous imho, as harry potter was a lot better realised.......even if those kids cant act :P

"Friends don't let friends read Twilight."
Mantra back where I used to live. xD
If you really want to read a vampire/human romance novel, I suggest reading "Sunshine" by Robin McKinley. Same narrarative style, and MUCH better written.

I think vampires should be scary and all that stuff.
You should be afraid they are going to kill you, not that they'll try to have sex with you.

I ripped the last book in half. Literally.

Bella's sexist, Edward's abusive, and Smeyer can't write -_-
You shouldn't repress your violent urges like that, jeez. ;)
And Seed? I have one word for you.
vlcsnap-357101.png

What kind of vampire doesn't bite humans?
Vampires = Badasses = Biting Humans
:D
What kind of vampire doesn't reach into a woman's womb, rip out her still-born baby from her stomach and bite it's head off, all while shooting at screaming humans with a German M-16?
Twilight vampires, that's what.
Vampires may = badass, but Hellsing vamps>Twilight vamps. Always.

The more fans something has, the more haters there are, and that's a fact. I read them last year because I was bored and my sis had all of them. The first one wasn't that bad.

I'll agree though, a good 75% of the volume of these books were a waste of time. And, Meyer has some very strange sexual fantasies.

The more fans something has, the more haters there are, and that's a fact. I read them last year because I was bored and my sis had all of them. The first one wasn't that bad.

I'll agree though, a good 75% of the volume of these books were a waste of time. And, Meyer has some very strange sexual fantasies.
*puts awaaaaaaaaaaay the tentacles*
The first time I read Twilight, I thought it was okay. It didn't seem horrible to me at first, but it wasn't good either. Once it got into new moon and Eclipse, however...no. Just no.

.. Seems like you guys have something like a stereotype of vampires huh. Vampires doesn't necessarily have to be violent......... If the author deems fit, I suppose they can be docile little lambs. (Think 'wolf in sheep's clothing')

... That aside, I find Twilight's story somewhat like classic Shoujo mangas. That is, the characters involved are supernaturally beautiful, perfect in certain aspects, and things ALWAYS go well (One way or another, which, ironically, happens in most stories..).

Well, that seems like a similarity to Shoujo manga huh.

Back