Have not played most of the FF games, going to marathon them all. Which versions to play?

Helltech

Gil
I've only played FFIV and FFIX loved them both. I really want to get all the games in the main series played I've been meaning to for a while and I have been saving up.

Anyway I want to know which versions are the most complete/best. There are so many ports/remakes/remasters/compilations I have NO idea where to start. The only one I know of that is universally the most complete is FF IV: Complete Collection PSP and I think the NEW release of VII on the PC is the best of that.

Anyway I have a NES, SNES, GBSP, DS, Wii, NGC, 3DS, PS1-2-3, and a PSP, no Vita.

If someone could help me make a list of the best versions of each game (FF1-9, I don't think anything past that has been remade?) I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Also any spin-off games that you think are worth mentioning let me know, I have Tactics for PSP and love it, so yeah. Also if there are any that are identically the same, like a PSP and PS1 remake, let me know as well. As well as any games that compliment the main series and are actually worth noting, like I assume Crisis Core is.

I - (PSP)
II - (PSP)
III
IV - (PSP) Complete Collection
V - (GBA) Advance
VI - (GBA) Advance
VII - (PC) 2012
VIII - PSX/PSN
IX - PSX/PSN

Last edited:
V and VI - most complete are on the Gameboy Advance

I and II any of them work really, I have them on PSP and they seem to run just fine.

III- I only played it on the DS, but I assume the PSP works just as well

VIII and IX don't really matter if you get a physical copy or the one on the PSN, they are the same game.

Thank you for the very quick reply. I'm excited to delve into the main series. :)

Also I heard (could be wrong), that the GBA version of VI isn't as good as SNES version (III) because the sound quality is much worse? I know it has additional content just wondering if that's true or if the additional content makes up for it.

After some research it looks like I and II are best on the PSP because of the extra content > the GB versions.

Last edited:
The sound quality in VI is worse due to compression, yes. It's not that big of a deal, though, seeing as the rest of the game was improved and it's portable. If you don't want to worry about multiple discs, etc, the PSN versions of VII-IX are better than their PS1 counterparts. For FFIV it depends if you want TAY and sprites (PSP) or if you want more of a challenge and 3D models (DS).

I definitely prefer spirtes to 3D models unless some other element (more story, more dungeons, better translations) is also a factor. Also it looks like the PSP version of III will be the most complete but isn't out yet. (Actually comes out tomorrow, kinda funny). I actually own the DS version of IV already as IV is one of the few FF games I've played (and a game I've played MANY times) and I just couldn't make myself play it after an hour, just made me want to play the GBA version.

For IV get the complete collection it has all the extras from the gba plus AWESOME remastered soundtrack! It is absolutely gorgeous!

As for FF VI I agree with you. The gba version sound sucks total ass!!! If you emulate it you can get a patch that restores it to the original form.. Atleast almost. I would advice the PSN version, sure it doesnt have the extra content or new neat but yet more censured script. But it has extra fmvs, no slowdown as far as PSN is concerned, the intact awesome music and you can play it on the big screen. To be honest the new espers and items make the game so much easier! I highly recommend playing the GBA only if you patch the rom otherwise go for the PSN if the sound is a very important matter to you. Just for comparison sake lets take a look at terra's theme: PSN/SNES - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhuEcFsYrco GBA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbAvDvYbXi4. Sure the music is still awesome but cmon there is no comparison. The extra content is too easy to make it worth the trouble, the only plus is the script imo really but I find the Music to be a more overwhelming factor.

As for Final Fantasy 5 get the PSN aswell(same deal as ff6 but its up to you). As for FF7 get the pc version if you want but it has absolutely no extras and you need to be online to play it, if you dont care for the achievements just get the psn version.

As for 8 and 9 there are no remakes or whatsoever so PSN all the way.

FF 1,2,3 get the PSP versions they are the best and most updated versions, with extra content, updated soundtrack and graphics! Just listen to this FF2 song:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnhX5KTpOuA - only on psp.

Crisis core is a prequel to Final fantasy 7! Get it on the psp but play it only after you play through FF7 and watch advent children complete. I know that crisis core is a prequel but you will understand and experience the story at its best if you follow that order. Also there is dirge of cerberus, I never played it but heard the game on its own is not very good but it is worth just for the story. Play it after crisis core.

As for other final fantasies... You can give final fantasy tactics advance(gba) and advance2(gba). They are different games with different stories from the psp game. They are worse but still very good. I hope I was helpful! In the end it is all up to your own judgement.

Also complete collection has a sequel to final fantasy IV and an interlude between the 2! So it is superior to the ds version. The childish look of the 3d graphics accompanied by the badass voice overs dont match.. it is just plain wrong.

Yeah I was planning on getting complete collection. Maybe I'll just play VI twice, haha. I didn't even know there was a Tactics 2, I played and beat Tactics 1 and surprisingly like it more than the PSX version, but enjoyed them both.

Thank you very much for the imformative post. I already bought 1 and 2 for PSP online and I'll probably get 3 tomorrow when it comes out, even though it has 3D Models and not sprites. :)

I know this sounds wierd and old fashioned but I tend to shy away from downloaded games, I like to actually have something to hold onto, maybe I'll get VI and V for GBA and then play patched roms, it looks like there is a sound restoration patch for both VI and V.

EDIT - Ordered the complete collection also :)

The Tactics games is part of the Ivalice Alliance series. So that's FFT/WotL, FFT:A, FFT:A2, and also includes the main series game FFXII, and the sequel FFXII:RW.

As someone whose bought FFIV three times now, I really enjoyed playing the Complete Collection. I thought The After Years was great (haven't finished it, but loved what I played so far :3). Though I believe the Ds version has an extra scene or two, can't remember...

Well, everyone basically gave you all your answers. Hope you enjoy the games ^^

Yeah I hope so too. I've been meaning to do this for a really long time. Thanks a bunch guys. :) Btw I'm totally digging that evil queen sig, love it.

Last edited:
Back