Hatred for Hope

I'll take Hope and Vanille over generic Vaan and Penelo anyday.. I mean say what you want about them but atleast they had a personality..

I'll take Hope and Vanille over generic Vaan and Penelo anyday.. I mean say what you want about them but atleast they had a personality..

Yeah, they had personality... but their personalities were utter shite. :gasp:
At least Vaan and Penelo had the good grace to fade into the background in utter uselessness from time to time, rather than shoving their retardedness in your face.

Personally i don't hate the kid actually i don't think i hate any FFXIII character...not that i'm a fan either.

I think Hope he's a well built character, he begins as this scared and cowardly kid who wants revenge but as the game keeps moving he seems to try and push the fear aside and act brave acting kind of foolish while doing it, but he keeps growing in my opinion so as long as he as a backstory and actually grows along the game i think it's a good thing.

A lot of Final Fantasy characters from other titples have little to no background and growth at all, so i would dislike those characters more then i do Hope.

And i would also like to mention that he's a permanent member in my party.

I hated Hope. The confused angsty teen he was had no redeeming qualities.

I think all the continuing haterating on him comes from the fact that for 9/10ths of the game he's a whiny bitch with unguided rage.

I didnt hate hope I just found him to be to pussyish I mean realy I have never met anyone at the age of 14 who acted like that it was by far the most rediculious thing.
I understand being scared uncertain and angry but come on throw the kid a bone and give him an excuse to be so...5 year oldish.
He ended up being one of the charecters I used more than not.
I hated/detested Snow more wich im sure made me think more favorably on Hope Now Snow is the real turd thet should have been flushed

I love Hope, he's my favourite FF 13 character. I don't really understand where the Hope hate comes from either. So what, if he's whiny and emotional ? The guy just lost his own mum. Throughout most of the game he's grieving and learning how to stand on his own two feet, and survive a dangerous world without his mother's protection. Saying that Hope is a whiny bitch when he has lost somebody close to him at a young age is a little cold-hearted.

I agree with you on Vaan, but not Penelo. I like Penelo... D:

And I don't hate Hope... I just dislike him A LOT. Mainly because he HAS to blame Snow for his mother's death. Snow had little to do with it. I understand why Hope is upset, I would be too. But I wouldn't be trying to kill someone over it. I don't think his mother would want that.

Vanille is my favourite FFXIII character. She's one of my favourite Final Fantasy Characters. I love her voice. :goofy:

Hope

So I know a LOT of people really hate Hope...and I understand why but in his defense I have prepared a list of things that can really stand him out from the other characters.

1. Sure he has low health, but if you stick a wurtzite bangle hes good to go.
2.(As many people know) He is the best Ravenger in the game and its honestly just fun being able to play around with a FULL list of spells. (For those bored days)
3. You have got to admit that the physics defying boomerang is pretty cool.

So thats just some (and not very meaningful reasone, but reasons none the less.) On why Hope isnt as hopeless as most people think.

P.S
I do sometimes run around with him as my party leader... sue me ;)

I think there is no denying that hope is one of, if not the most powerful character in the game.. HIm, vanielle and Fang are my favorite party ever.. They destroy everything with ease..

There is nothing wrong with Hope battle wise he is one of the best characters in the game and he's a good medic apart from him trying to heal a character that has full health and ignore's someone that is about to die but that is not why people hate him it's his character development thats the problem. Sure Hope has some great things about him but them great thing's are quickly forgotten about when you have to listen to him whine for half the game

Hope was a tad annoying at the beginning,but later I ended up liking him a lot.I didnt hate him though,I mean imagine being 14,you see this random guy hanging on to your mom but drops her,and then suddenly you turn into something everyone's afraid of and forced to travel with a bunch of strangers,I'd be pretty depressed too.But what annoyed me a bit was that he couldn't confront Snow earlier (those death glares in chapter 7 were just annoying) Besides, he didnt know whether his mom was dead yet when Snow was hanging on to her.From where he was standing, he could just see his mom falling from Snow's hand.So,not really his fault that he blamed Snow for his mom's death.
Well,I think I wasn't that bothered by his whining because of Snow.Seriously Snow just annoyed the hell outta me with all the hero talk=_=

Battle wise I thought he was fine :/ I just gave him accessories that boosted HP so he didnt die that often,and his stats were pretty good(for me at least)

People hate hope because he is a hateful little brat. I get it, he lost his mum but srsly...blame snow for it??? He clearly saw snow try to save her, why act like a turd??

Also yeah, he does develope later on from a big turd to a smaller turd. I don't really think his character gets interesting at all. From what I remember, he really doesn't have too much plot other than his mission thingo (can't remember what they're called)

At least the other characters had real back stories. I just found him to be a really useless character that was coupled with a bad personality.

anyway, thats just me :P

Last edited:
I read on Wikipedia that "Gameinformer listed him 3rd on their list of the "Top 10 Dorks", citing his choice of a boomerang as a weapon". When I looked further into this, it seems it's seems like that's what people think. They think he's an annoying, weak, moaning and annoying little kid. I personally believe he gets better after he talks to Snow, but in reality, I wouldn't use him over Vanille as a healer either. Vanille can be killed somewhat easily too (unless it's just me), but not as easily as Hope. As much as I like him, if you fight with three people, you need all three people to stay alive. As for his actual character, it's debatable. I can see why he's annoying, but at the same I don't think he is annoying (anymore). I guess it's some people's reactions.

I read on Wikipedia that "Gameinformer listed him 3rd on their list of the "Top 10 Dorks", citing his choice of a boomerang as a weapon". When I looked further into this, it seems it's seems like that's what people think. They think he's an annoying, weak, moaning and annoying little kid. I personally believe he gets better after he talks to Snow, but in reality, I wouldn't use him over Vanille as a healer either. Vanille can be killed somewhat easily too (unless it's just me), but not as easily as Hope. As much as I like him, if you fight with three people, you need all three people to stay alive. As for his actual character, it's debatable. I can see why he's annoying, but at the same I don't think he is annoying (anymore). I guess it's some people's reactions.

Yeah I understand you there.....But by saying that I'd just say he's moody,one minute he shuts up and wants to just get on with the journey.........the next he's slowing EVERYONE down because of little problems.

I think he was much more better with Lightning when he was
plotting to kill Snow,Light taught him how to overcome his fears and made him stronger. But after giving up operation Nora he went back and returned back into that little pussy.

Back