Gut Instinct

Warbsywoo

Hellodia.
Veteran
Gil
Whenever you make tags or signatures or whatever, do you just trust your gut instinct or do you have some sort of method to the madness?

Personally, I combine a bit of both. I feel obligated to follow formal design rules 'cause I'm in one such class right now and I think some of it makes a lot of sense and would look great in a signature (like not having 50/50 proportions etc etc...) But then color placement and stock placement are just arbitrary. Wherever looks good is good enough. :monster:

et tu, Brute?

I'm a bit of both as well. It's kinda weird how I do mine. I start out typically the same as I normally would in other signatures, and from there my creativity branches off in different directions. In a way I kinda have my own method of doing things, but then again they're usually gut instincts as well (a little bit of this here and a little bit of that there) - whatever looks good to me, must look good in general, even if just a little.

Sometimes though there'll be some signatures where I'm really not too sure and confident about my work, even if I still think it looks pretty decent. That usually happens when I go crazy with my designs and not take it slow and think about each procedures carefully.

After two years it's safe to say that my design process has changed. Now I go with my gut instinct rather than follow what class used to teach me. I find it's a lot more liberating to do whatever you want and see what comes out after a few attempts at effects or filters, and even though it sometimes gets messy, in the end it turns out alright most of the time.

I always trust my gut instinct.
The only time I followed a method was when I still a Photoshop newbie and didn't know how to use it, so I referred to a tutorial on how to make a tag. :elmo:

I'm not sure what my style falls under, but I tend to make signatures that describe my mood. I'll base the colours, the text, and even the lyrics I'm using on that. I'm mostly using lyrics because I just love having my favourite words on canvas.

I think it's gut instinct for me, to be honest.

I couldn't sit down and follow a whole damn tutorial. I tried. Several times. I failed.

The point of GFX for me, is that it allows you to run free with your creative sides, try out different stuff, and let your imagination take control. It's supposed to be relaxing for me, and I really don't care to sit here, and read tutorials, on how I should and shouldn't do this.

If I were willing to get better, sure, but if it's a piece I plan on working on myself, not so much. :wacky:

My style? Throwing crap at the wall and see if it can stick. No joke. I was taught how to GFX by an old friend who was a Photoshop genius basically so my style kinda took from hers during the learning process but I think I expanded into my own style over time. I tend to trust my gut because there are times I'll just be playing around with an image, putting it through a bunch of filters and I'll end up with something that make me go :holyshit: and I save it with the finished product. Some of my best work wasn't pre-planned or anything it just kinda happened while I was playing around.

Like my current signature for instance. I just copied and paste the Yuna image into a canvas and played around with the filters for a while and BANG! Sig.

It really relieves me that so many people don't go by set ways... maybe I have a chance at being pretty good at art then.

That said, I don't really trust my gut instinct that much when trying to make something, if I am trying to make something (no, didn't make my sig/avatar. My art skills aren't that good). But getting back to the subject, I also dislike tutorials, so I'd end up going with my gut if I'm trying to create art.

I kind of have to trust my gut instinct. I never to a sig the same way twice, every time I do a sig I have to do something completely new that I've never done before. I don't know why thats just how I do them, and then I go back and apply what I learned making other sigs to help improve my work.

It's what I do with every sig which is why it usually takes me a long time to finish it

When I do create something I usually follow a method.

I've only glanced at a few tutorials and I'm one of those people who find it hard to experiment in case I screw it up and then have all that time wasted.

It's like trying different foods for me. I always stick to what I know because I know it will taste good.

Gut instinct never really occurs for me in this area. >.<

Back