God of War : Ragnarok

God of War (2018) was a huge step-up for the franchise. Which really irritated me because I wish the Greek pantheon trilogy (and associated side-games) were of similar quality.

Nevertheless, the last installment was a masterpiece as far as I am concerned. I was so pleasantly surprised to find me actually caring about Kratos for the first time. He had serious character development and wasn't simply two dimensional. What is better still is how it didn't sweep the old games under the carpet either, instead it had Kratos dealing with what he'd done and how he'd behaved in those games.

This game continues that legacy. Atreus' line "Stop thinking like a father for a moment and start thinking like a general!" is a heavy hitter when you think about the older games where Kratos was a general in Sparta and thinking like a general led him to madness and his murder of his former family.

Also, Angrboda the giant being a young girl (and not particularly giant) makes sense for a few reasons. 1) The GoW mythos has already established that giants aren't massive all the time, and 2) she's a similar age to Atreus because Atreus is Loki and in Norse mythology she is Loki's mate and mother of his children (Fenrir, the Midgard Serpent and Hel in the Prose Edda).

I'm very happy that Mimir is remaining with the group too. He really balanced the party with a healthy dose of humour lacking in the original games.

(ProZD is also voicing Ratatoskr, apparently).

Back