012: Duodecim First looks from the Demo view.

SeraphicFeather

High Judge of the Seraph
Gil
Sooo, having just played the demo, I was really eager to share my views with others.

Lightning was honestly my favourite. Her jump was good, her move layout was good & she was decent in stats. She was fast & engaging. Easily the balanced character.

Kain was a slight dissapointing. His moveset was laid out badly. As far as we know, there was a jump Brave Attack on the ground. I was annoyed that he lacked an aerial stomp attack. His moves could've been much improved. His jump was horrid, seeing as he was a Dragoon. AERIAL BASED. His damage was pretty poor too & I was rather dissapointed there.

The assist system is really enjoyable actually. You have to use your head to use it right. Then theres the EX Mode, which is seldom seen & less powerful too, which makes the game much more fun & less of a battle to get the EX Core. Damage has been upped, but the critical multiplier has been nerfed to x2 instead of x4, but I'm all fine and good with this.

To those that have played the demo already too, give me your views on it.

I'm afraid I haven't played the demo yet but I've been uming and ahing about whether to download it... Not so much for the demo but for the extra support character of Aerith (who I've heard doesn't actually appear in the demo but becomes usable in the full game).

I've seen some screenshots though and am very excited about playing Cain/Kain, my favourite FFIV character!

I'm afraid I haven't played the demo yet but I've been uming and ahing about whether to download it... Not so much for the demo but for the extra support character of Aerith (who I've heard doesn't actually appear in the demo but becomes usable in the full game).

I've seen some screenshots though and am very excited about playing Cain/Kain, my favourite FFIV character!

Really? Aerith hasn't been confirmed or anything and she isn't a support character, as far as I know, although, I haven't had Gilgamesh or Yuna as a support character yet either. But, seeing as Tifa has been released, I doubt thast Square would bring in a fourth FF7 character in the same game as the third.

Kain is confusing to play XD His Brave moves actually excel loads on the ground, as far as the demo goes, along with his massively gravity effected jump.

However, this demo has already been overplayed by me. Lightning & Kain both work wickedly well, Kain needing slightly more work imo, I would honestly advise playing.

Please note, the only 2 new characters playable on the demo are Lightning & Kain.

Edit: Okay, I was wrong XD And I'm likely wrong on the matter of the new characters too, who knows, I haven't completed it yet.

Last edited:
I read on one of my favouritest game news sites (Siliconera) that Aerith is available with the demo :cry: they wouldn't lie to me, right?!

Sources: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/01/2...final-fantasy-grants-temporary-invincibility/
&
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/01/1...id-preview-adds-aeris-as-an-assist-character/

Did you download the Japanese version then? :D

Well, firstly, yes, I got the Jap. version of Prologus, but anyways, this is the first I've heard of Aerith & plainly, I don't buy it. They're missing something to convince me, like screenshots.

I'm now saying it isn't true, because it could perfectly well be, but, I'm saying that I reckon its a false rumour someone put up. If I were you, I'd do a little more poking about. And if I see her in the demo, I'll be sure to warn you :D

Aerith was basically confirmed at the First Production conference or whatever it was called. She will be an assist only character that you will get if you bought Prologus (I'm not sure if you have to do more than just buy it though), people on a dissidia forum speculate that you may have to unlock Cloud in Prologus first though.

At the end of the video (beyond the Gilgamesh scene) there was a few clips of Aerith being used as an assist by Cloud against Sephiroth.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Dissidia_012_Prologus_Final_Fantasy

and

Go to 5:44 (just before 5:44 is the Gilgamesh part), and watch till the end. You clearely see Aerith as an assist.

Aerith was basically confirmed at the First Production conference or whatever it was called. She will be an assist only character that you will get if you bought Prologus (I'm not sure if you have to do more than just buy it though), people on a dissidia forum speculate that you may have to unlock Cloud in Prologus first though.

At the end of the video (beyond the Gilgamesh scene) there was a few clips of Aerith being used as an assist by Cloud against Sephiroth.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Dissidia_012_Prologus_Final_Fantasy

and

Go to 5:44 (just before 5:44 is the Gilgamesh part), and watch till the end. You clearely see Aerith as an assist.

My hat is off to you sir :awesome: Thats brilliant proof & I like it.

Erm, I can confirm Cloud too. I got him about half an hour ago as a result of defeating the both Arcade Modes with Lightning.

So, what are YOUR thoughts on the characters & such?

So, what are YOUR thoughts on the characters & such?

I don't have Prologus yet because I am waiting for the NA version. I don't have the patience to try to figure out how to get the JP one.

I am looking forward to using Kain though. I'm hoping that I like the way Kain plays at least. If not, there is always Gilgamesh and Lightning. If none of the new characters end up tickling my fancy, I'll probably just try to go with Cecil (I used Cloud a lot in Dissidia, but I'm tired of using him)

In general, I'm excited for this.

However, I am curious about what the Duodecim code JP will get from the Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection will give...I'm just hoping that we GET the IV Complete Collection though.

I don't have Prologus yet because I am waiting for the NA version. I don't have the patience to try to figure out how to get the JP one.

I am looking forward to using Kain though. I'm hoping that I like the way Kain plays at least. If not, there is always Gilgamesh and Lightning. If none of the new characters end up tickling my fancy, I'll probably just try to go with Cecil (I used Cloud a lot in Dissidia, but I'm tired of using him)

In general, I'm excited for this.

However, I am curious about what the Duodecim code JP will get from the Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection will give...I'm just hoping that we GET the IV Complete Collection though.

Well, I'm playing through Kain as we speak, simply put, he takes a while to get used to & frankly, I'm slightly dissappointed with the moveset hes got on him. I mean, its perfectly usable and all, but its just laid wrong & such. He has some range difficulties. His attacks all go in certain directions & frankly, miss quite often. However, his High Jump attack is amazing. Its instantly made it into my top 5 moves on Dissidia.

Lightning seems complicated, but is actually pretty simple to use. However, seeing as you have to switch movesets with L+R, this can often dislodge the camera. Not to mention that the order of paradigms is ordered Attack > Magic > Heal. Heal has, if I'm correct, only one move and even that isn't too effective, giving 100 brave at best per combo. So if you switch to Magic in the fray, you suffer the chance of pratfalling through distraction, trying to recollect your paradigm bearings. However, all 3 of the paradigms have their uses, although many will likely find that they'll end up sticking to Attack. On the matter of HP moves, Lightning has a brilliant lineup so far. Not only does she have a close quarters punishing attack, but also a harassment attack that forces them into the air to dodge, a rushing attack (brilliant range & speed) & a Brave>HP Link move that is actually pretty reliable, especially seeing as its linked onto Lightning's most potent attack move.

Sorry if I went on XD Have a cookie :cookie2:

Well, in truth, I don't really care, as long as I get FFIV Complete, I have no problems XD

Are you sure they're making an NA version? Its only just under a month until the release of the actual game in Japan, would SE bother?

Well I'd have to give Kain a try before I can form any opinions on him. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Who knows, I may find him to be very easy to use. And I surely am hoping for that.

Are you sure they're making an NA version? Its only just under a month until the release of the actual game in Japan, would SE bother?

Like I said...

I'm just hoping that we GET the IV Complete Collection though

We probably are though...we've gotten every other remake they've released. It'll probably just come out in like April or May, and if that's the case, we'll probably hear about it sometime next month.

It was announced for JP in December wasn't it? Which sounds about right. If we do get it, it'll probably be announced next month with a release in May.

However, I still worry that we WON'T get it...I'll be very upset if we don't.

Well I'd have to give Kain a try before I can form any opinions on him. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Who knows, I may find him to be very easy to use. And I surely am hoping for that.

Like I said...

We probably are though...we've gotten every other remake they've released. It'll probably just come out in like April or May, and if that's the case, we'll probably hear about it sometime next month.

It was announced for JP in December wasn't it? Which sounds about right. If we do get it, it'll probably be announced next month with a release in May.

However, I still worry that we WON'T get it...I'll be very upset if we don't.

Sorry, I meant with Dissidia 012, I doubt they'll have an NA or EU version of the demo this late.

I'll flip if they don't give us the remake, its me fave FF game XD Still, I wouldn't worry much about it.

Actually, I'm getting the hang of Kain. He's just complicated to use.

Sorry, I meant with Dissidia 012, I doubt they'll have an NA or EU version of the demo this late.

I'll flip if they don't give us the remake, its me fave FF game XD Still, I wouldn't worry much about it.

Actually, I'm getting the hang of Kain. He's just complicated to use.

But we are getting Prologus...if we aren't then the Trademark was pretty stupid...you have to remember, we are getting Duodecim nearly a month after Japan, so natrually, we'll end up with the demo a bit later as well.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/10/29/dissidia-duodecim-prologus-trademark-dramatically-appears/

I just tried prologus, Lightning and Kain were awesome. I think that EX is harder to get?? and there is lot's of small improvements like when two player grind to each other there is no collision and the assist system is intresting.

From playing the demo.... kain very kool to play with and lighting is a great player for starters

I'd have to disagree with Lightning being any kind of good. I tried playing as her (story mode made me), and I was being as unbiased as possible. When fighting with her, she moved far too slow, her dodging was awful, and I couldn't hit shit with her. This went on for the entire story mode, and I tried it again in Arcade mode, and it never got any better.

Cain, on the other hand, was godly. Most of his attacks, brave and HP wise, knock opponents into walls, or into the ground. He has multiple attacks that knock enemies towards the ground, and used correctly, and timed right, can be used to combo multiple times. However, the problem with this was, it made things too easy. I never once was able to hit Ex mode, due to the fact I was killing the enemies too quickly.

I just tried prologus, Lightning and Kain were awesome. I think that EX is harder to get?? and there is lot's of small improvements like when two player grind to each other there is no collision and the assist system is intresting.

Yes, EX is harder to get. People complained that it was the decider of too many battles, so they also made it less powerful.

I know that the grinding collision system is there. I remember doing it a few moments ago XD

The assist system is awwwwwwwwesome~♥ It works like a charm.

Anybody notice the differences with Cloud?

I'd have to disagree with Lightning being any kind of good. I tried playing as her (story mode made me), and I was being as unbiased as possible. When fighting with her, she moved far too slow, her dodging was awful, and I couldn't hit shit with her. This went on for the entire story mode, and I tried it again in Arcade mode, and it never got any better.

Cain, on the other hand, was godly. Most of his attacks, brave and HP wise, knock opponents into walls, or into the ground. He has multiple attacks that knock enemies towards the ground, and used correctly, and timed right, can be used to combo multiple times. However, the problem with this was, it made things too easy. I never once was able to hit Ex mode, due to the fact I was killing the enemies too quickly.

I actually look the other way here. I much preferred Lightning to Kain. She was simple to use, had really effective moves, both Brave & HP attacks. Switching paradigms could be a pain, but its not all too hard. But Lightning is a decent, balanced character, like WoL. I don't understand why you found her so slow, because shes actually really fast on both the ground and in the air.

Cain was godly in power, for sure. Many of the original beta testers thought he was overpowered, which was no surprise to me. Whereas his attacks were powerful, they were unfortunately rather innaccurate, that or very short ranged. I found that it was easier to win with him, but compared to Lightning, getting around was hard. Hes slow without a move & his air speed is atrocious, considering his Dragoon lineage.

Of course, this is just my point of view, but do know, I'm not biased here, seeing as Kain is my favourite character from my favourite Final Fantasy game, opposed to a character from a game I haven't even played yet.

From playing the demo.... kain very kool to play with and lighting is a great player for starters

I have to agree with the latter. Lightning, amazingly, is the best pick-up-and-play character I've seen on dissidia, which is really quite something. Shes fast, has a decent dodge & has decent attacks too, really quite good for a newbie to Dissidia to find their feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
After playing the demo heres my veiw of the system not the charecters.
Its shit.
I shouldnt have the whole left side of my psp dedicated to telling me what buttons to press while the charecters fighting on screan are half the size they should be because of this.
Im sorry I get the buttons seeing them threwout the battle is unneccisary and quite frankly just makes it a damn mess to view.
If Duodecim Dissidia's system is like this i'll spare my eyes and just not open it.

Wow, I had posted earlier in this thread, so I saw all the negativity towards Kain and Lightning. But, after playing Prologus, I really don't know why. Maybe they just didn't fit your play style.

They are pretty fun, IMO. Let's not forget that we can't change their moves until the full game comes out, so if a character has a crap build, there is nothing you can do about it. For now, I enjoy both characters, and I am definitely going to use them.

Kain is everything I had hoped he would be, and I thought he would be just awesome. Gungnir is a beast, but I still have to get my angle right, I continually throw the spear above or below the opponent all because I'm too high or too low. Jump is pretty neat, but it is relatively easy to avoid. Assists help in landing Jump successfully though.

Lightning was pretty fun to use as well. Although, I found that sometimes, I'd change paradigms without realizing it (meaning I hit the buttons accidentally, like after using an assist, and since I wasn't trying to change, I didn't notice the text box), so instead of shooting the gun, I'd use thundaga.

I still have to find Tifa in Hard Arcade mode so I can use Cloud, but I have 4 other characters (not counting Cloud) to go through Hard Arcade mode with, so with any luck, I'll find her without any unnecessary grinding. I just want to get all the achievements done before I get the game on Thursday (it comes out Tuesday, but I can wait two extra days for my birthday)

Over all though, I just can't wait to see what Gilgamesh is like, since he is another that I am hoping I will like enough to use fairly often, along with Kain and Lightning.

I shouldnt have the whole left side of my psp dedicated to telling me what buttons to press while the charecters fighting on screan are half the size they should be because of this.
Im sorry I get the buttons seeing them threwout the battle is unneccisary and quite frankly just makes it a damn mess to view.
If Duodecim Dissidia's system is like this i'll spare my eyes and just not open it.

I highly doubt that text will be there. And even then, you will probably be able to turn it off in options. But since this was a "demo", they aren't just going to throw you to the fire and figure stuff out on your own. Do you know how many potential new buyers this would turn away, especially if they don't know what the hell they are doing? As for people who played Dissidia, we already know the buttons, but we didn't know how to do the new stuff they added, like assists (sure they TOLD us verbally, like months ago).

Kinda hard to pass judgement on a "demo" as far as something like the text on the left is concerned. The point of it was to lead into Duodecim with the small story, and to try out the new things they added to the system. The least of my worries was the text. It is really annoying, I'll give you that, and I sure hope Square Enix realizes that too. That's why I think there will be a toggle for it, and because Dissidia didn't have constant nagging text like that either (I think there was a toggle in options).

I highly doubt that text will be there. And even then, you will probably be able to turn it off in options. But since this was a "demo", they aren't just going to throw you to the fire and figure stuff out on your own. Do you know how many potential new buyers this would turn away, especially if they don't know what the hell they are doing? As for people who played Dissidia, we already know the buttons, but we didn't know how to do the new stuff they added, like assists (sure they TOLD us verbally, like months ago).

Kinda hard to pass judgement on a "demo" as far as something like the text on the left is concerned. The point of it was to lead into Duodecim with the small story, and to try out the new things they added to the system. The least of my worries was the text. It is really annoying, I'll give you that, and I sure hope Square Enix realizes that too. That's why I think there will be a toggle for it, and because Dissidia didn't have constant nagging text like that either (I think there was a toggle in options).
Then they should have added an extra "how to page" in the demo having it on screan was a bitch as it destracted from the battle.
The prologus was done poorly wich makes me think the game itself wont be much better.
I wish SE would focus on making GOOD games for a change....

Back