Final Fantasy VII Remake

Мasamune;1022628 said:
I will never understand these people who argue that 'FFVII deserves a remake.' They're as bad as Hollywood remaking any classic movie they can get their soulless, moneygrubbing hands on. IMO, remakes should be reserved for movies or games that never lived up to their original potential. Not for success stories such as FFVII. Gawd... People complain that SE lack any sort of invention these days whilst at the same time calling for them to remake a 15 year-old game.

The FFVII Remake machine seems to have taken on a life of its own. I don't think people even remember why they want one anymore. It's just expected of SE now. So naturally, SE have jumped on this and continue to string the fans along with glimmers of false hope, even though they are in absolutely no position to remake the game and they know it. It just pays to keep its name in the limelight.

FFVII is a game that has stood the test of time considering its obvious drawbacks. It's still being released and played to this day and fans are still discovering new trivia about it. So why do we want a remake again? I think people are forgetting the charm of FFVII in the first place and how much of it would be lost if SE ever did decide to remake it.

The reason all this started is simple. When the PS3 was in late marketting stage, they released a FFVII tech demo, the title/intro sequence, but in ps3 graphics. This got alot of people talking and speculation flew left right and centre. Why shouldn't it? Sony and SE threw that demo out, practically saying "look what we can do". Naturally, all the fans have said "well, DO IT!"

Unfortunately for those who are waiting hopefully for a remake, it's not likely to happen any time soon. SE have issued a statement this year saying they have NO intention of doing a remake, until a game surpasses the quality of the original FFVII release. I would like to add two points to that......

1) There was FFIX, we've waited, so let's have our FFVII remake!

2) Cannot help but feel that was a polite way of telling the fans that it's not going to happen.

Reference: http://uk.gamespot.com/news/no-final-fantasy-vii-remake-until-square-enix-tops-original-6384331 (plus many other articles from other sites reflecting the same news)

x

The reason all this started is simple. When the PS3 was in late marketting stage, they released a FFVII tech demo, the title/intro sequence, but in ps3 graphics. This got alot of people talking and speculation flew left right and centre. Why shouldn't it? Sony and SE threw that demo out, practically saying "look what we can do". Naturally, all the fans have said "well, DO IT!"

Unfortunately for those who are waiting hopefully for a remake, it's not likely to happen any time soon. SE have issued a statement this year saying they have NO intention of doing a remake, until a game surpasses the quality of the original FFVII release. I would like to add two points to that......

1) There was FFIX, we've waited, so let's have our FFVII remake!

2) Cannot help but feel that was a polite way of telling the fans that it's not going to happen.

Reference: http://uk.gamespot.com/news/no-final-fantasy-vii-remake-until-square-enix-tops-original-6384331 (plus many other articles from other sites reflecting the same news)

x
they made several tech demos before.

No, it goes further when crisis core hinted that ff7 will be remade. Sure we all know it wont come anytime soon. But we still want one. Im patient

they made several tech demos before.

No, it goes further when crisis core hinted that ff7 will be remade. Sure we all know it wont come anytime soon. But we still want one. Im patient

How did Crisis Core hint that it would be remade? I haven't played CC so haven't seen it.

Would that not be because it's the story that comes before FFVII, so the story continues in VII?

You have to see it. It highly suggested that a remake is being considered. The eding flashed final famtasy VII in an epic way. If it was done smaller i wouldve suspected they wanted me to play the original.

Plus wouldnt it make sense for them to say "the story continues on final fantasy vii" rather than " to be continued on final fantasyvii"

You have to see it. It highly suggested that a remake is being considered. The eding flashed final famtasy VII in an epic way. If it was done smaller i wouldve suspected they wanted me to play the original.

Plus wouldnt it make sense for them to say "the story continues on final fantasy vii" rather than " to be continued on final fantasyvii"

:) just checked it out on youtube. At first I thought it was the same as the demo but it's slightly different. I have to admit it would be pretty cool if they did remake it. Maybe it's not possible for the ps3 system though, to construct a world that big all in that graphics plus all the scenes and the story. I wouldn't want them to cut out details. Who knows though? Maybe we'll get it on a later system.

I'd rather they made good new games though, because I can still play VII and really enjoy it even with the graphics not being so great.

:) just checked it out on youtube. At first I thought it was the same as the demo but it's slightly different. I have to admit it would be pretty cool if they did remake it. Maybe it's not possible for the ps3 system though, to construct a world that big all in that graphics plus all the scenes and the story. I wouldn't want them to cut out details. Who knows though? Maybe we'll get it on a later system.

I'd rather they made good new games though, because I can still play VII and really enjoy it even with the graphics not being so great.
Id like a remake. Of course i would like SE to make 8 and 9 aswell. But i can wait. As long as there are enough games for SE to keep us well entertained.

I definitely think it can handle ps3. I dont wamt them to be as good as 13 graphics but satisfying ones. Ill probanly buy the new PC version though

(Sorry if I'm reviving a dead thread.)

Personally, I think that there will be a remake, whether we like it or not, and I guarantee it will sell fairly quickly. I believe it should have a remake, so long as they preserve the story and the aspects that made Final Fantasy 7 so awesome.

My only problem with it is that I'm afraid there may be a huge controversy with the homophobic Final Fantasy players that will go ballistic over the cross dressing part. I could be wrong, though.

My only problem with it is that I'm afraid there may be a huge controversy with the homophobic Final Fantasy players that will go ballistic over the cross dressing part. I could be wrong, though.

I doubt it. Anybody who has played VII (which is pretty much all FF fans) knows that part is in it. So they'll know it's there and if they buy it anyway they can't really complain can they? My fear if that they'll change parts of the story and stuff. I can't imagine them keeping everything the same and I worry they'll ruin it.

I doubt they'll ruin it. The story of Final Fantasy VII might actually need some tweeking. some parts were meant for blocky character designs. I doubt they'll ruin it. I definitely don't want a remake for the nostalgia. i want one for the new elements that we couldn't see in the past.

Personally id love a remake, for many reasons. nostalgia being one but, i only first played FFVII last year on the ps1 (my girlfriend bought it off ebay for me, because she knew how much i loved the series). The main reason i'd love a remake is due to the fact (even though some may disagree) that is a truly legendary game. It shaped the genre and made millions of people around the world sit in amazement. The final fantasy VII compilation was also great, seeing what was once peoples childhood reborn and remastered was astonishing. Though this may all be true, at the end of the day it is square-enix who will decide what goes no matter how much of the population wants a remake. Ill just have to wait here with my fingers crossed =D.

I may be one of the only ones who believes it doesn't need a remake, at least not on the PS3. The original is still playable and with PC version mods you can make it look incredible. I feel that if Squeenix is gonna do any colossal remake it needs to be of Chrono Trigger or FFVI. The original FF7 was only released about 15 years ago, a bit too early for my tastes and I think there's a lot of other games that deserve a remake more than FF7.

A remake for this game seems to have become a sore subject for many people.

After all, this was still one of the main topics back in 04-07 (or 08?) in the most popular Final Fantasy forum I used to frequent. The demand is entirely understandable, though. It did become one of those iconic games, with solid character development, fun mini-games, excellent battle sequences for the time, and a very engaging story, it's really no wonder how it made players of the age become infatuated with it. Hell, I still love it. But, come on...

Square is kind of right in saying they wish to create something greater before considering a remake. Who knows, maybe the next Final Fantasy will be the redeeming game. Truthfully, I haven't played the series since I began X-2. Maybe that was shallow of me, but that game did a number on my faith for the series. And from what I've heard, the recent Final Fantasy's have been lacking, at least combat-wise, but I wouldn't know myself. But considering the new directions the company has been experimenting with, how many original fans would entirely trust Square with such a beloved setting as Final Fantasy 7? Maybe another groundbreaking game really IS what they need before they consider a remake.

From all this, we can learn something from Half-Life fans. Just forget about it, but not about the optimistic hope of "one day." Then, just be pleasantly surprised if, and when, it pops up.

Well, in my opinion I think a FF7 remake would be cool but I also don't want it to be remade. I've never really been a fan of SquareEnix because I think they ruined the FF series. Most of the time I find myself playing just Squaresoft games as they are my favorite company. :D

On the topic of the remake though, I feel SquareEnix is incapable of making a FF7 remake without ruining it (like adding in some flashy battle features or some FF13-like real-time battle system). Now that is merely just my opinion, and some people may like that type of battle system, but if they made a remake I would strictly want a graphics remake, that's it. I would still want the fixed camera angles and regular classic ATB menu battle systems and the regular old story. I may be kind of picky but I've never really been happy with SquareEnix when it came to Final Fantasy.

Thats basically what most fans want. However... if they do manage to improve or expand and make those changes enjoyable. I wouldnt complain

I've been thinking lately that people are enraptured with the 'idea' of a remake rather than the actual thing. I bet once it was released we'd see a clear divide between 'noob fans' and 'old school' fans. Hipsters galore -_-

I've been thinking lately that people are enraptured with the 'idea' of a remake rather than the actual thing. I bet once it was released we'd see a clear divide between 'noob fans' and 'old school' fans. Hipsters galore -_-

Those who want a remake most likely are because of the spin offs and films. Those probably want a new experience, the new experience that was shown by those spin offs.

Those who dont dont like the spin offs and dont want to gain a new experience.

Those who want a remake most likely are because of the spin offs and films. Those probably want a new experience, the new experience that was shown by those spin offs.

Those who dont dont like the spin offs and dont want to gain a new experience.

Perhaps. Though I think the new experience attributed to the spin offs is because they are new stories with new gameplay mechanics etc. If VII was to be remade it would either be exactly the same game with updated graphics or they would change a lot of the features and create a whole new schism. Kind of a damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario.

Back