Final Fantasy VII Remake News [Update]

These mini-interviews with Kitase are really fascinating:

So the story will be embellished, but in a way which makes sense. I had picked up on the Wutai thing in the trailer. I'm okay with changes like this. It makes sense that Shinra would try and claim that AVALANCHE are Wutai sympathisers. It would be easier to get Midgar's residents to turn on AVALANCHE if you can convince them that Barret et al are blowing up sections of Midgar because they have been turned by Wutai. If Shinra were to publicly acknowledge that AVALANCHE had ecological motives then that would be enough to get conversations started about the harmful consequences of Mako energy, and this would be very, very bad for a company which made its multiple billions on this exact thing.

This is interesting too. Each character will play differently. In this case Tifa might contain some fighter game elements in the way she is controlled.

So a lot of new beautiful FFVII screenshots have been released today!

I find the views of Aerith's church and Aerith's house to be particularly breathtaking.

49119253746_6b2ee6d242_b.jpg

49119447117_ecb16a5560_b.jpg

49119447077_42fd490b82_b.jpg

Aerith's garden looks more realistic for being in the middle of Midgar now. It did look a bit too paradisiacal before. The former appearance suited Aerith's character, but it didn't make much sense in Midgar. This interpretation has the best of both. It is still a beautiful garden befitting Aerith's care for the planet and life itself, but the rusting pipes and twisted metal are more prominent than they were before and helps this location feel a little more grounded.

There have also been some screenshots of the various menus.

49118747378_d2213e55b0_k.jpg
49118747433_a8d4f54e75_k.jpg
49118747248_d0d3e75763_k.jpg

I appreciate how that materia menu looks like a star system and suits the cosmic themes of the game, but it doesn't look very user friendly! Maybe it'll be easier when you attempt it in person.

For me though the most interesting reveal today has to be Chocobo Mog!

EKOjfBxWkAEio91.jpg

EKOjJJeXYAA8ncr.jpg

49119253856_2215298488_b.jpg

Mog looks like a koala-hamster here, but he looks adorable. I was not quite expecting the moogles to have chubby cheeks and teeth like that. If a similar model is used for all moogles, can you imagine feeding a face like that with kupo nuts for the Mog House mini-game at the Gold Saucer? That mini-game will probably be in part 2, if at all, but with moogles like this I have high hopes that it'll be a very cute experience!

They have also released a few beautiful recreations of some of the old wallpapers.

EKOeN_SXkAAvQof.jpg

EKOjL3_WoAAEFKm.jpg

FFF's magazine team thought Barret looked headless in the original wallpaper, so I'm glad I no longer have to point out where his head is!

:srsly: That is not a moogle, that is a Care Bear in disguise! He's still cute, but not what I was imagining!

Really digging the Materia menu, looks slick, but I agree it looks like it's more visual than practical. Guess we'll see!

Loving the look of Aerith's house on the outside too, btw. Looks so much more fitting and ideal being in Midgar. The inside looks very homey too! I am curious as to what is on the photo on the right side though... I swear it looks like FFXV, where Noctis is in the left corner and Luna is being kissed sweetly on the cheek by Ignis.

1574707636169.jpeg

Don't act like you don't see it too.

:srsly: That is not a moogle, that is a Care Bear in disguise! He's still cute, but not what I was imagining!

I think it is very cute!
It is a minor departure from the original FFVII moogle. It really is more like a teddy / koala bear with hamster cheeks and teeth. But I think I'm okay with that.

Also, something which I think some people are overlooking (or taking for granted) is the existence of a pom pom. FFVII's moogles lacked pom poms, so it is quite nice that this feature has been restored to them this time.

I am curious as to what is on the photo on the right side though... I swear it looks like FFXV, where Noctis is in the left corner and Luna is being kissed sweetly on the cheek by Ignis.

View attachment 8568
Don't act like you don't see it too.

:D

It does look a bit like Luna and Noctis, but I don’t see Ignis! Maybe the bit which to me looks like red hair is the part which you see as Ignis? The purple in the lower right corner could even be an Ultros tentacle…

It reminds me of the image of a woman Cid has on the Highwind... Only in this painting she is wearing more than her underwear. It would be an odd thing for Aerith and her mother to keep in their house, so I suspect instead that this is a painting of a lady with some flowers which Aerith identifies with in some way.

Another Kitase mini-interview:

This time about some of Aerith's new abilities. She has a move called Tempest which acts like a ranged attack. I think gone are the days where she runs up and whacks enemies on the head with her pole. I think people might try and keep her distance from the enemy so that she can do some damage with moves like this.

Yet another Kitase mini-interview.

I'm not sure where I stand with the classic mode option myself. I love the turn-based style of the original, and I appreciate them adding this mode for nostalgia.

That said, it'll still feel quite different from the original turn-based system. The characters will no longer be in their line on the right or left side of the screen. It'll still be different.

I'm more excited to play the new, action-based gameplay style. It looks very good and it'll be fascinating to enjoy the game I love in a completely new way.

The Assessed Materia is one of the new materia that Square Enix mentioned a few months ago. It allows you to see the enemy's weaknesses, immunities, HP, Rewards, as well the Droppable and Stealable items. This is one of the materia that I will see everybody using a lot when fighting against bosses for any rare weapons and items. Another thing that has caught my attention is the new weapon upgrade system. This new mechanic will allows you to not only increase your weapon's attack power, but also increase the power of certain abilities.

This is something that I am extremely interested on learning more about this new system. Hope that they release a trailer showcasing on this weapon system. I'm pretty hyped to see what else Square Enix will reveal to us before the game's release date.

I hope we get to see a bit about the new system too.
I'm not able to visualise it from the screenshots so far.

Today the FFVII Remake Twitter posted a little montage of Barret gameplay. Nothing we haven't really seen before, but still pretty cool. They've also added some HQ avatars and wallpapers of him.

These are some excellent screens!

I have been waiting for that iconic shot of Tifa for some time. For some reason, to me it looks like her hair is about to get caught in the fan on the well/water tower. It makes me focus on the fact that they've either shortened it slightly compared with the original or they haven't given her the thickness of hair she used to have. Also the parting (which in her lego-form always looked like a dolphin tail to me) is less prominent.

President Shinra looks amazing! He is a bit slimmer than I'd imagined from the original, but this design really does perfectly inhabit the role of Walt Disney's evil twin brother.

Apparently the new third class Soldier character is named Roche. I guess he's going to become a rival / minor villain during the motorbike scenes.
latest

Then there is the matter of the Train Graveyard. I have to be honest, this was one of my least favourite sections of the original game. I always wanted to get out of it as quickly as possible for some reason. It isn't that it was challenging, just more of a time sink at a moment when I was gripped by the story and wanted to progress. But if we get to see a few cute scenes like Aerith patting a cute little knitted ghost then this might be significantly improved! It looks fantastic.

I'm not digging Sephiroth carrying around his beyblade on his belt like that. Not a big change as compared with Tifa and her stockings but... I dunno, he looks different in that shot to me.

Loving all the magicy screenshots of Aerith and her magic attacks though, looks like it'll be very satisfying casting some spells. Really love the look inside the Shinra Headquarters, especially by the Cafeteria (Which tbh I'm a bit disappointed there isn't some kind of Materia play on words here)

I don't like Roche's hair. :worried: My husband made an inappropriate joke about his bike.. and now I can't unsee it.

I don't mind that they've added him into the game, honestly, but I'm just not liking his design I guess.

The cafeteria looks amazing! I love the tree which they've put in the middle. To me, it suggests two things. Firstly, a tree is rare enough in Midgar to be treated as an exhibit or feature in the cafeteria. Secondly, it represents Yggdrasil (the World Tree) since Midgar (aka Midgard) clearly plays around with Norse themes and Midgar itself can resemble a twisted and polluted metallic mirror of Yggdrasil.

I'm not digging Sephiroth carrying around his beyblade on his belt like that. Not a big change as compared with Tifa and her stockings but... I dunno, he looks different in that shot to me.

I think my concern about this is the scene itself. At least I presume this represents the kebabing of President Shinra. The horror of that scene in the original game was accomplished by a foreboding sense of dread that something had happened and then finally the shocking revelation with the murder scene. I'd hoped if we were to actually see Sephiroth properly here it would be fuzzy CCTV or something so it could still retain some mystery, but I guess not.

I'm in two minds. It could also be cool to see this scene play out for real. I guess another way they could do it would be to have Palmer (who is hiding behind a pillar in the original to avoid being slain himself) relate to the party what happened while the player sees the chain of events as he tells the story.

Also... The cat-like slits of his pupils... Does Sephiroth usually have those? Never noticed them before. I wonder if that is an early hint at it being Jenova's body.

I don't like Roche's hair. :worried: My husband made an inappropriate joke about his bike.. and now I can't unsee it.

Yeah... He does possess the naughtiest bike since Snow's Shivacycle. Quite fitting, really, since FFXIII is apparently somehow ten years old today.

Last edited:
Final Fantasy 7 Remake Delayed Until April

The Final Fantasy VII Remake for PlayStation 4 has been delayed from its March 3 release date. A note from producer Yoshinori Kitase says the FFVII's new release date has been set for April 10, to give the team a little extra time for finishing touches. Here is what Yoshinori Kitase had to say.

"We are making this tough decision in order to give ourselves a few extra weeks to apply final polish to the game and to deliver you with the best possible experience," Kitase said in a mesage from the studio. "I, on behalf of the whole team, want to apologize to everyone, as I know this means waiting for the game just a little bit longer. Thank you for your patience and continued support."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-7-remake-delayed-until-april/1100-6472734/

Last edited:
Well, on the plus side it's not that much of a longer wait, on the negative side if you are a fan of Cyberpunk and RE you are in a tough spot right now.

Nooooooooooooooooo!

This is how it should have been!
1581656816114.jpeg

Actually he looks like a Pomeranian mix or something

1581657257216.jpeg

Carbuncle does bother me, actually. At first he didn't, but when I actually popped him into Photoshop he actually looked like they accidentally duplicated part of his head and they just left it and was like 'eh, good enough!'

And Choco Chick kinda disturbs me.

1581755629857.gif

Red XIII looking pretty good though - looking forward to meeting him in the Remake!

Last edited:
Red XIII looks amazing!!

The Carbuncle and the chocbo-chick(?) on the other hand, look absolutely ridiculous. They're pre-order things, though, right? So, fortunately I don't think I'll be getting those, if I end up getting the game any time soon-ish after launch.

The two pics DaggerTribal posted actually look a lot better, lol. I wouldn't care if they weren't in the game though, it's kinda like that one SOLDIER dude, what on earth is he doing in FF7? Shoo.

WELL excited for the rest, though, looks absolutely amazing. Be still my cloti heart.

Back