[FFVIII] Post 6/2/22 PlayStation's State of Play, Suspicions of a remake in the works?!

Zealous_Justice

Gil
FFXIV
Zealous_Justice
FFXIV Server
Behemoth
Some may attempt to discredit my reasoning, saying this is a long shot, reaching ect. However my resolve will not be shaken. At the end of the trailer for FF XVI, there is a unseen speaker and the words he speaks when the screen as faded to black, at first to me, seemed out of place for the tone of the game. It took me only a few seconds to remember where I had heard those exact words from. The words, "Wake from your sleep, children of fate," is an English translation form the beginning song Liberi Fatali who's Latin words are "Excitate vos e somno, liberi fatali." We cannot see the speaker but this could be voice acting for a character now given voice. We've already received a Remaster of the game, and while we're still in wait for the next part(s) of VII, my suspicion is we're not too far off from a remake being announced! It might be early but Idc, I've been awaiting a remake for this game for a long time. It is a very beloved game of mine and I'm so excited right now!

Feedback?

I'd rather they just focus on finishing the Final Fantasy VII Remake Project 1st. I miss the days of looking forward to the next Final Fantasy being then followed up a completely seperate experience. The pacing of releases for mainline FF games serously tanked with 13 & 15 and I just want to enjoy moe unique titles rather than treading with indulgent remakes and spinoffs.

I don't have any feedback other than precisely what you said in your opening sentence. I believe it is infinitely more likely that the line is just one of Michael-Christopher Koji Fox's flourishes as localisation director and any tenuous connection to FFVIII is either purely coincidental or a sly, subtle nod to it. Nothing about it indicates any signal of intention to remake FFVIII yet or if at all.

As Vivi said, who is going to remake FFVIII? Creative Business Unit 1 is the largest internal division at Square Enix and they're busy with the FFVII Remake project plus Kingdom Hearts 4 and other smaller scale projects in the pipelines. All that will tie them up for a good foreseeable while yet.

Some may attempt to discredit my reasoning, saying this is a long shot, reaching ect. However my resolve will not be shaken. At the end of the trailer for FF XVI, there is a unseen speaker and the words he speaks when the screen as faded to black, at first to me, seemed out of place for the tone of the game. It took me only a few seconds to remember where I had heard those exact words from. The words, "Wake from your sleep, children of fate," is an English translation form the beginning song Liberi Fatali who's Latin words are "Excitate vos e somno, liberi fatali." We cannot see the speaker but this could be voice acting for a character now given voice. We've already received a Remaster of the game, and while we're still in wait for the next part(s) of VII, my suspicion is we're not too far off from a remake being announced! It might be early but Idc, I've been awaiting a remake for this game for a long time. It is a very beloved game of mine and I'm so excited right now!

Feedback?
This is a fascinating theory and a great catch (regarding the quote and its similarity to Liberi Fatali.

As Liv says, Koji Fox is very much on the ball with this sort of thing in his English localisations.

Yoshi-P, Koji Fox and the entire FFXIV team (some of whom are involved with this project too) really seem to love these sorts of references. FFVIII has recently been alluded to heavily in the Eden raids of FFXIV. Not just Eden itself, but many, more subtle things (some of which I discussed here in the second half of my Gaia myth manual) are FFVIII references. FFXIV offered a deep continuation of some of the details from FFVIII, reworked in a unique way.

It isn't out of the question that this line is an intentional nod. But I think we need to see more than that in order to connect the two beyond that. It would be oddly cryptic of Square Enix to tease a FFVIII remake within a FFXVI trailer. Then again, FFVIII is a weird (but wonderful) game so it would probably deserve such an unorthodox first hint. I think it is far more likely to be an allusion, or strange serendipity.

As much as I would appreciate a FFVIII remake and seeing some of the best 'cinematic' moments in the franchise recreated with PS5-quality graphics, I think they’d be spreading themselves too thinly announcing a project that huge with so many other things going on.

The FFVII Remake project has yet to be completed. FFXVI is on the horizon. FFXIV may have finished its first (and arguably forever most serious) arc, but it is far from done. And that's just Final Fantasy. While different projects can be worked on by different teams / divisions, there is still a limit. All of that needs to be marketed too.

That said, all of the recent attention given to FFIX (its upcoming animated series, for a start) has the rumour mill spinning about that game too. There could be something to Square Enix's consistent recent attempts to remind us of the PSX era of Final Fantasy games. They remain relevant, and loved, today. And Square Enix certainly are revisiting some of that.

I really didn't expect any kind of responds at all. I was just a FF VIII fan who got really excited at connecting dots at something hitting me. Thank you for taking your time to respond at all and wow, I'm humbled by how kind this forum community seems compared to some others that I've been in. Dionysos you are very in the know and it makes me incredibly happy to hear someone that is as super invested to this series. As an admin of this forum I would not expect any less!

I really didn't expect any kind of responds at all. I was just a FF VIII fan who got really excited at connecting dots at something hitting me. Thank you for taking your time to respond at all and wow, I'm humbled by how kind this forum community seems compared to some others that I've been in. Dionysos you are very in the know and it makes me incredibly happy to hear someone that is as super invested to this series. As an admin of this forum I would not expect any less!

You're very welcome, and thanks for the compliment. We all have our own particular interests, strengths and insights to offer on this site.

If you notice anything else, or have any other ideas, etc, feel free to bring them up as I'd love to read about them!

Welcome to the forum! :dantelope:

Back