FFV: Love It or Hate It?

Love it or Hate It?

• Love It

Votes: 48 98.0%
  • Hate It

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

Lebreau

I am colorblind ; coffee black and egg white.
Veteran
Gil
If you had to pick, would you say you love the game, or hate the game? Explain the reasons why you feel this strongly about the game in this thread and share your opinions.

Please try and elaborate on your posts, as short spammy posts may be deleted without warning.

Love it.

I think the main attraction of this game is the job system, and whether you love it or hate it depends quite heavily on whether you like it or not. I personally love the job system, as it added a lot in terms of replayability which its immediate predecessor, FFIV, didn't really have.

I guess it also depends how patient you are. You need to do quite a bit of experimenting in order to keep up with the random enemies as the game progresses. I for one love messing and tinkering around with my party, so I love this game.

I LOve it.

THe story is pretty cool, and I just love all of the characters. Also, I love the job system because it allows you to get all kinds of different abilities.

All of that combined makes it my all-time favorite!

I love it

I found the job system to be a MASSIVE pro for this game. There are so many jobs to choose and you can apply the abilities you learn from one to job to another making heaps of combinations possible!

I also love many of the jobs sprite designs. I think there are some really cool ones.

I can't make many more judgments seeing as I am not very far into the game (Just got Bard and Ranger and jumped on a Black Chocobo) but I will edit this when I get further. So far I am loving it.

I quite like the game. The job system is pretty fun and it makes you curious to try out all the different combinations, even though some of the characters favour str over magic while others vice versa, making some jobs redundant for some characters. Still though a fun game, even though it does require grinding in some parts to attain certain skills or else you get thrashed. The biggest weakness this game has in my opinion is lack of development on character personalities, especially the main character Bartz. He is too plain! Good game, but I prefer FFVI more.

Love it.

I loved FF3 & I see the job system on here, compared to the one on FF3 to be q vastly superior upgrade.
The ability to mix abilities between jobs gives a massive strategic feel to it.

And then theres the story, which is brilliantly written from start to finish, characters with brilliant personalities & enemies that present a decent, yet not too hard challenge.

In short, it is one of my fave FFs to date & the only way I could love it more was if it was IV, X or XII
5/5~♥

The biggest weakness this game has in my opinion is lack of development on character personalities, especially the main character Bartz. He is too plain!

Actually, I see him as the team commedian, like Edge. At first, you get the same idea of Galuf,
but seeing as he dies & Krile isn't the most comedic, Bartz has to take over as the main comedian.
That being said, by the time this happens in the story, there really isn't much comedy left in the game as it revs up for serious mode, which makes Bartz' place feel redundant & empty. At no point in the game is he funnier than Galuf, so when people compare him to the other characters, Galuf (the funny old coot), Lenna (the cliché soft & gentle girl), Faris (the "breaking the habit" pirate, tomboy), he looks kinda empty.

Still, I must say, Krile is worse. Her motivation in-game should be
to avenge her grandfather/complete his quest. But she doesn't. She seems to be perfectly fine that her granfather is dead & that she doesn't go mental after meeting Exdeath again.
This made her seem like a REALLY boring character. I personally never had a problem with Bartz tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love this game. particularly for the nostalgia of playing it as a kid and the job system. Wish they would make a remake for ds or something, it was fun.

Love it. :yay:

Ex- Death is a amazing villian, the music is great, characters are love espically Fairs and Bartz. And the job class is epic and it makes the game enjoyable and heaps fun.

The only thing it needs is a DS or PSP remake.
:grin:

Love it. :yay:

Ex- Death is a amazing villian, the music is great, characters are love espically Fairs and Bartz. And the job class is epic and it makes the game enjoyable and heaps fun.

The only thing it needs is a DS or PSP remake.
:grin:

I. Love. You. XD FINALLY.
It took a while for me to find someone who saw it the same way as me. The game was (and still is) brilliant. People are constantly whining about Bartz having no personality, but it looks like SOMEONE thinks otherwise.

Love it. This game is the one with the most jobs, I think, which means a lot more freedom. This also means that the game can be replayed many times, and one who does can choose different jobs every time and not get bored. I've played this game about 4 times now, and I still haven't mastered some jobs, like Chemist, Oracle, etc.

Love it, love it, love it.

Final Fantasy V is my favorite in the series. I have always loved the Job System, FFIII being another one of my favorites, but its system is far more strategic. I love starting a new game, planning out my party, and trying new combinations of abilities and jobs. In the Advance version, I beat the Sealed Temple along with Omega Mk.II and Neo Shinryu. That took longer than the original playthrough itself and was challenging even for FFV standards, and I loved it (most of the time).

I disagree with some of the above posters: personally, I find the main protagonists of FFV to be the least interesting cast in the series. However, the always-entertaining English translation of the Advance version more than made up for it--I'm not going to deny that Bartz, Galuf, and Faris had some funny dialogue at times (Lenna and Krile suck, sorry). Ghido's lampshading of Bartz's annoying expository habits also deserves a mention.

As far as antagonists are concerned, Exdeath actually repeats some of his generic lines throughout the game, laughs evilly every other sentence, and doesn't have nearly the amusing Void fetish that he does in Dissidia. His egregious character walks a narrow line between hilariously bad and just tragic. Really, the whole plot of FFV kind of sucks, but the gameplay is too fantastic to pass over as a result.

That's why we have Gilgamesh (and why the Advance version doesn't take itself seriously)! In case I'm too subtle, I personally love Gilgamesh. Pretty much everything that comes out of his mouth is either hammy, hilarious, or some combination of the two. And even though he's just the comic relief villain, he has more character development than anyone else. I won't bring up any examples because there are people who still haven't had the first-hand Gilgamesh experience.

In short: Gilgamesh and the Job System. Sealed Temple is hard but fun. Yeah.

i m not quite sure...
it was the first FF game i ever played (i played FFVII before it but couldn't finish it)
so i totally new to the world of FF
i couldn't finish the game by myself so i got help from a friend of mine

so i m playing the game again...let's see if i will love it or hate it :p

but one thing...does anyone agree with me that the bartz in FFV and dissidia are totally different ?

but one thing...does anyone agree with me that the bartz in FFV and dissidia are totally different ?

To be honest alot of the older FF characters in Dissidia are completely different from their original formats. Terra, Bartz, Cloud and others. Terra and Cloud got the worst treatment. They went from strong heroes to a bit dull and annoying damsel in distress. It has caused some fan anger, especially from the FF6 fan community. :mokken:

I like this game. I don't hate it completely. But it's pretty alright. It has it's flaws and good things about it. Ex- Death seems like a really underrated villain in the FF series. The music is fun and bouncy and the storyline is well detailed. Though the character development could do with some improvement.

Okay. Screw it. I do like this game.... but Ex- Death scares the living daylights out of me. So I can't progress further into the game, without feeling scared.
:sad3:

I really love FFV! It's such an underrated game in the series with the best job system besides X-2. Ex-death was also an extremely successful and funny villain. n_n

Meh.

I borrowed my brother's old copy of the game for the GBA to have a go at it considering it was the only offline Final Fantasy left I hadn't touched. It also helped that I was considerably bored at the time. Ironically, playing the game felt just as tedious.

I hardly remember much of it, as I haven't touched it in a while. It bored me to tears somewhere along the line, and I can barely even remember what its story entailed. Meteors? Sentient magical tree? Crystals? Dragons? Job system seemed alright, though I remember the heavy grinding that would also entail. Yes, grinding is a staple of games like this, but I hadn't the stomach for the busy work by that point, so I lost the motivation to go on.

I heard that the story is a bit of a step down from FFIV and that the characters are only very average, so I don't think I've missed too much. The game has given us Gilgamesh though, so that's always a plus.

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVEIT LOVEIT LOVEITLOVEITLOVEIT LOVT ITS THE BEST FINAL FANTASY EVEEERRRR!!!

Try and substantiate your post a little further, please.

To be honest alot of the older FF characters in Dissidia are completely different from their original formats. Terra, Bartz, Cloud and others. Terra and Cloud got the worst treatment. They went from strong heroes to a bit dull and annoying damsel in distress. It has caused some fan anger, especially from the FF6 fan community. :mokken:

I like this game. I don't hate it completely. But it's pretty alright. It has it's flaws and good things about it. Ex- Death seems like a really underrated villain in the FF series. The music is fun and bouncy and the storyline is well detailed. Though the character development could do with some improvement.

Okay. Screw it. I do like this game.... but Ex- Death scares the living daylights out of me. So I can't progress further into the game, without feeling scared.
:sad3:

not so sure about terra and cloud...cloud seemed totally the same to me o_O but yeah...terra was a little bit too much of a scardy cat...but still...she is still the terra of FFVI
BUT...bartz doesn't have a little bit of his personality from FFV at all...

and i agree with you about ex-death XD i m playing the game again and it's so freaking fun to play it again...but ex-death is same as before :p i wonder if i can finish him off this time

I dont like it. The villian was mediocre, the characters were dull, the game had next to no story, and the music was just okay. The job system was nice but everything else felt like a step back from IV.

Back