FFIV - Worth Getting?

Aztec Triogal

3-7-77
Veteran
Gil
Since this topic crops up so much, I figured I'd make a topic and sticky it.

Is this game worth getting? Please post your replies so that people who cannot decide can read this to make their decisions.

Heck yes. FFIV is a must-play, IMO. It was the first FF game I ever played, and I loved it right away. If I had played a different game first (FFV, for example), I'm not sure that I would have ever really gotten into the FF series as much as I have. I HIGHLY recommend this game.

Yes! FFIV is a great game - and it introduces many things that became staples to the FF series - until XII - and its damn fun too.

its also a great FF game to get if you want a challenge.

Hell yeah! This was the first Final Fantasy that truly told an epic story in a more linear style. Battle style is typical FF stuff.

Basically, this one was the true trend setter of the franchise. The first three were just pale prototypes, whereas this was the first full-fledged Final Fantasy as we know it.

FFIV is one of the best in the series, the Story in engulfing and amazing for it's time. The Characters all have unique personality and the world if huge!
It's a must play for any true FF fan.

Yes I would recommend this game. It's one of the more challenging FF games and it was the first to feature characters with their own personalities rather than generic ones. And it introduced many staples of the Final Fantasy series.

You may have to have patience with this game since it may be slow paced compared to the later titles. And if you really love pretty graphics, then this game is not for you.

I love FFIV. It's my favorite FF out of the old school ones. Definitely buy this!!!1

That is, until the DS remake.
Ah yes. I can't wait for that ^O^!!! So far the characters look so purty too ^^

Once again-hell yes! This a classic rpg and definetly the best out of the 1st 4 ff games. This the first ff game to add indivdual storylines and give personality to the chars, which is done quite well. For anyone who wants this game if you have DS hold till that the ds version comes out since that when the game will look really damn good.

Yes, i bought it recently and its amazing, til you get to the final dungeon and relise you are epically underlevelled

i havent played much of it but i hear a lot of good things about it

...You're kidding me. There's a DS version?! >.> I just bought the GBA version last night so I can play it on my DS (which I finally got yesterday)...

Apparently, I've been living under a rock. -_- I started playing last night and so far so good. I'm not far into it yet, and I'm actually anxious to play it again. So yes, I would say it's worth it.

EDIT: Nevermind...found the thread about the DS version. -Sighs- Oh well, I'd like to try out the classic graphics anyway.

Last edited:
This is the first of those classic Final Fantasy games you'll see on a shelf years after you finished it and will buy it again.
An absolute brilliant game... the first real characters in the series, plot twists, challenging bosses (more than I can say for some of the 3D ones) and extremely atmospheric music.
Well worth getting.

I am truly glad to see so many people here with the same mind set as myself. This is the game that hooked me on the FF series and truly made me an rpg fan. I had played Dragon Warrior, and loved that, but this game is what firmly set me on the path to rpg geekdom.

*spoilers*

Dark knight turned Holy knight, overcoming his past. A best friend controlled by the enemy, in love with the same girl you are. Airship fleets. The four fiends. Lali-ho. Palom and Porom. Oh this game has so many good memories.

I'd say yes its worth getting FFIV since it introduced a lotta staples to the series like a love story, plot twists and fleshed out characters for the first time to FF.

From what I've played, it has a beautiful story and wonderful music. The characters are as good as in any other Final Fantasy game - it's a true classic. The bosses are challenging at times, but it's all good gameplay for some. I'd say you'll certainly like this game if you like Final Fantasy, although you might like it if you disliked a different FF.

If you have no idea what Final Fantasy is, start with VIII, IX or X. And don't judge Final Fantasy by one game. I didn't like VIII at first... I only enjoyed it - and it became my favourite game - after playing most of the others in the series... Anyway, that's a little off topic. What I'm basically saying is, try this one out whether you've liked other FF games or not. Heh.

I still have a mint FFII SNES game somewhere. Plus the Playstation version and the GBA version... it's my most favourite game in the series.

I mean, come on! Characters finally have some real depth, graphics were quite impressive at the time, musical score = amazing... never mind all the innovative new game mechanics introduced which set the trend for the future... a classic in every way. I still find that fucking Demon Wall hard, regardless of how much I level up...

Haha, yes, yes, a good one.

I think it will be, i can't wait to get it, to hear the characters speak, to see them in 3D, for the game to be presented in an overall, better way, i can't wait to get it.

Back