Electronic music similar to Masashi Hamauzu?

Serge

Gil
I've been enjoying immensely various electronic tracks by Masashi Hamauzu, and was wondering if there exists something similar in the electronic music genres, but I don't know too much about electronic music. (I mostly listen to classical and 90s rock.) Suggestions please.

Some electronic music (probably) by Hamauzu below.

FFVII Remake:

FFXIII:

I've been enjoying immensely various electronic tracks by Masashi Hamauzu, and was wondering if there exists something similar in the electronic music genres, but I don't know too much about electronic music. (I mostly listen to classical and 90s rock.) Suggestions please.

Some electronic music (probably) by Hamauzu below.

FFVII Remake:

FFXIII:
I’d forgotten about ‘Ignition Flame’ from FFVII Remake. Something tells me that congduc9589 might like this one. It’s the sort of cinematic track that builds up within an exciting action sequence and works for a very particular action scene (Roche’s battle).

I’m not sure if that one is by Masashi Hamauzu though. The internet lists it as by Nobuo. ‘High Five’ is also listed as by Nobuo, ‘Collapsed Expressway’ is listed as by Mitsuto Suzuki and ‘Catastrophe’ by Tadayoshi Makino. I’m not so sure how accurate the Amazon listings that I've just checked are though. They might just be making guesses or picking one out of a number of musicians who collaborated on the tracks.

But to answer your question about similar music…. The examples you provide offer quite a range and aren’t limited to a precise, singular style.

Some are a mix of electronic and orchestral (like ‘Catastrophe’) and for this I recommend E. S. Posthumus for a similar style. I’m only really familiar with their first album, but they produced a number of tracks usually named after ancient or medieval cities. They blend electronic music with classical and chanting, etc, and they really inspire the listener to imagine being a part of these ancient cities.

For example:

Or

And so on…

If you want decent instrumental electronic music with a catchy melody like ‘Collapsed Expressway’, try Tangerine Dream (for example ‘Love on a Real Train’ or ‘Mother of all Sources’).

As for music of a style similar to Masashi Hamauzu’s Final Fantasy XIII’s soundtrack, hybridity of genres is something Masashi Hamauzu went for with this. I’m not sure if I can think of any music I listen to with close parallels with the precise style of FFXIII’s soundtrack.

FFXIII-2, however, is a bit different. A few tracks have the neo-60s lounge style blended with electronic music (similar to bands like Stereolab at times). From the FFXIII-2 soundtrack I’m thinking of tracks like ‘Historia Crux’, ‘New Bodhum’, ‘Missing Link’, ‘Village and Void’, ‘Starting Over’ and more. I’m not 100% on who composed the tracks I have in mind. It could have been the other composers who worked alongside Masashi Hamauzu. My iTunes library only lists the vocalists instead (Origa and Joelle).

I'm not sure if any of this is useful to you (particularly on the actual Hamauzu side of things), and I'm sorry I am late in responding. If not, I hope you find the sort of music you are looking for soon!

Thanks. Ignition Flame being listed by Nobuo might owe to the fact that it's a remix (sort of) of the original FFVII battle theme. (I'm not sure that Nobuo composed any new music for FFVII Remake except Hollow and Hollow Skies.) Part of Remake's music (e. g. Whispers Theme) blends choir and electronic, akin to Posthumus, but I think I would fancy electonic music with less bombast.

I'm trying to link electronic music into some of the FF scenes I'm thinking about. You can read it here (just skip the first post, it may too long):
Allow me to use the music you posted here on this topic of mine.

I'm trying to link electronic music into some of the FF scenes I'm thinking about. You can read it here (just skip the first post, it may too long):
Allow me to use the music you posted here on this topic of mine.
Sure, since I assumed you asked me and not Dionysos, I'm ok with it. (PS. Some interesting music in your thead too.)

Come to think of it, I might also post some of Björk's music, although most of it has vocals.

Ps. Would you like a few classical music suggestions? I can PM you.

This is almost ideal FF music, like those slumrat or sewer sequences in every FF.

Last edited:
Back