Does anybody else HATE the Great Crystal?

Ultima-Griever

Sorceress
Gil
Jesus Christ. Whoever came up with the idea of creating the Great Crystal was insane and wanted the players to go insane, too. The only time I had no difficulty going through it was on the first time I got there: of course, because there is only one way you can go: to the Crystal Core. But when you go upwards, either to get Ultima and/or defeat Omega Mark XII, it's nearly impossible to go through without a freaking map. I don't know if it was only me, but I was stuck at the Great Crystal for nearly 4 hours and a half, completely lost, until I stumbled upon Ultima. Thankfully my party was in a high level, mainly due to the monsters inside the crystal, and I defeated her in a single fight. Then again, to find Omega Mark XII - another torture, and I was even looking at a map. That background music is annoying and so is the noise of the party running around. I wish I can never ever do anything there again, I don't even feel encouraged to find the Zodiac Escutcheon there. ):

Yes. I was looking for the Escutcheon and after 3 hours of looking I finally decided to use a map. Unfortunately, I pretty much had to reset because I had no idea where I was even with a map. Finding Ultima was not that bad, to be honest. Finding the Escutcheon chest was hell, and I got an Ultima Blade instead. I never used it because I already had the Masamune, Zodiac Spear, and Tournesol. Finding Omega was also terrible. I ran out of time at the last gate (Scorpio I think) about 4 times and I made it the last time with about 1 second left. In my second playthrough, I made my friend get to Omega for me, because I didn't want to do it again... and he got there in about 35 minutes.

With the many times I have been in the Great Crystal it is rediculous on how HUGE it really is and how confusing it can be. I have to use a map when going through there otherwise i get pissed and throw things. -_-.

Also, why is there no sphere's that let me teleport back to the beginning!?!? If I get lost I hate having to FIND my way out again. can we say 'reset'. Bah!

If you are talking story wise, I had no trouble whatsoever getting through. I found it quite easy. I just passed this place like a day ago. It is the worst map ever in the whole game because it really is unhelpful. Even thought it was my first time, I got through it just fine. Not really that bad. I got to the core just fine and yes this is my first playthrough. It is pretty frustrating I hear. Oddly I had no trouble. I do not plan on ever going back there. I just want to finish the game.

i hate the place, when I went back for Ultima and that sword, which i still couldnt fnd my way too even with a map I was lost for ages. Ultima was fine, got to her ok. finding my way back out was some thing else altogether, i gave up onthe sword because i ended up being lost in there for hours. worst dungeon ever

It's not so bad before you meet the "Gods" or whoever they are. It's not untill you make your way our and then go back in to level up or for Omega that it gets fustrating. Nothing like Purobolos and those damned Coeurl type monsters to utterly rape you >.>

More so than the monsters though, it's me having to activate every switch, just because "It's There". Then i run up the path to find that i shouldn't have activated the switch, so i run all the way back, but oh, wait! the monsters have respawned!

Why the hell are there so many switches!!!!

I am still inside the Great Crystal after going in trying to show my cousin the Omega monster, just for fun. I got lost along the way though. <_<; I do have the official guide but I'm so far from the exit, I just went meh. One day I'll go back and finish the remaining quests and leveling up.

I never did find Ultima- I'm playing through again and I'm meant to be heading towards Giruvegan, but I'm putting it off. It just takes forever to get through the place, and the fact that you have no real map for it is quite distracting.

LOL "and i was even looking at the map" I am sorry that is funny for me. I can relate the map was no help when I kept trying to find help. I can not say I hate the crystal no.

It has been a while but I have to say that is the best looking place I have been lost and angry in.

just reading up on what i have to lookforward too, :D i will be getting all the bonus stuff so i guess this place is where im going to spend many many hours, thanks fr the heads up :D

I remember back when I was trying to look for Omega Mark XII. I was stuck in that crystal for 4 hours, endlessly fighting monsters that I really did not like, and basically going in circles when I decided to quit and find the transporter back to Giruvagan. Finding Ultima seemed easy enough (just kept going up rather than down), and for the first esper (forgot its name), I just went down and whatever path wasn't blocked by a seal, but I'm too lazy to print off or write down a map, and I don't think I have the patience to look for Omega again after that first long session. I kind of like it as a place for training, but at the same time, getting lost in that place is a bad omen. :hmph:

this thread makes me want to play XII again, just so I can get lost and be able to relate :)

I probably spent more time in this place than in any other part of the world.

I've just got out of the Crystal, and I've realised that I remember my way out of the place, but I've never found Ultima. Or maybe I did once- I forget. Anyway, the thing that annoys me the most about the place is that noise for every step you take, it gives me a headache

just reading up on what i have to lookforward too, :D i will be getting all the bonus stuff so i guess this place is where im going to spend many many hours, thanks fr the heads up :D

You're really not going to want to stay there :| It's horrible and you'll be wanting to get out as fast as possible. If you like it, you can just go back for Ultima (yet another useless esper).

I hated the great crystal. I kept getting lost and turning up at the same place every time.

ffxiimaps

probably has one of the great crystal.

I thought the place was just designed to mess with players minds and it really didn't serve a useful purpose to have it in the game in the first place.Just another bad idea in a game full of bad ideas.

I didn't even bother going after Omega.Not worth the effort.The rewards in the game for getting the marks simply were insufficient for the trouble you have to go through to accomplish them.:mad:

I almost pulled out my hair while in that big crystal. I don't even remember how I got out of there. I remember many angry nights and many different walkthroughs. I dread going back in there for the extra hunts.

This is another place I'd like to go Minecraft on. Just burn it down. It's just big and mean.

I don't mind it. The Mombombs and Necrofiends are a pain but it's actually much better to work over Ash Wyrms for Moon Rings than zoning in and out at the peak of the highwaste. I think it's kind of cool how it gets darker and darker as you get toward the top.

What's fartarded is having to go through the Giruvegan water steps to get in and out of there and not having a teleport crystal.

I really hated how easy it was to get lost there but i did love it as a grinding spot, quite fun battles. But it was still really annoying....

I actually liked the crystal, I even drew a map as I looked for ultima and omega. Until I tried going for the Danjuro. I got so freakin sick of that place, and I never even got the Danjuro.

Back