Six

𝗦𝗼𝗹𝗶𝘁𝘂𝗱𝗲 *★.• ·
Staff member
Admin Support
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
Welcome to the first voting for CWOTM!
Please take your time to read the submissions as the voting will be up for 14 days.
Any feedback you wish to give is greatly appreciated and you can use this thread to do so.

Thanks to everyone that entered!
Make sure to check out the new guidelines for CWOTM #2!

[ENTRY 1]

Story Title: Final Fantasy X Tales: The Zanarkand Civil War [Chapter 1-1]
Style: Fan Fiction
Mature Content: no
Summary: The little-known ten-year conflict which plagued Zanarkand, begun and fueled by political power, corporate greed, and technological prowess.

“The Zanarkand Abes lead the Bevelle Sages 3 - 2. And now it’s halftime!” the announcer bellowed over the speakers. “Performing for us now, with the current number one hit in Spira, is Meris! Give them a round of applause!”

As the renowned band played on stage, Dia made his way to the Zanarkand Abes’ locker room. His wife’s fellow players greeted him when he entered. He’d been well acquainted with most of the team, and had been since he and Reis married. “Is Reis around, guys?” he asked, scanning the room.

“Ya just missed her,” the team’s primary goalkeeper, Vin, answered. “I think she went for a bite to eat at the food stands.”

Dia nodded in appreciation. “Thanks, Vin.” When he opened the door, before heading out to the hallway, he said to the team, “Beat the Sages to a pulp, guys. Show them how much you kick ass!” The team cheered aloud; Dia left the locker room with a nod-and-smile.

The concession and food stands were within Dia’s view. He watched as Reis and councilman Qil, Reis’s cousin, spoke at a table. Dia noticed both were enjoying large plates of spaghetti; he took the seat next to his wife. “Stuffing your faces, I see,” he joked.

Qil glanced at Dia before swallowing some pasta; he wiped his mouth with a napkin. “About time you show up, my man,” he said. “We were thinking you got lost in there.”

After Dia leaned in to kiss Reis on the cheek, he replied, “I know my way around. There are just so many people today.” He looked to Reis, smirking. “And they love you tonight, babe. Your new shots had them roaring!”

Reis laughed softly and shrugged. “That’s what happens when you’re a star player, I suppose,” she boasted before glancing at her watch. “Dia, did you call the babysitter yet?”

Dia slapped his forehead, slightly ashamed. “Not yet,” he responded with a quiet, disappointed tone. He pulled out his phone, dialed home, and leaned back in his chair. It took a while for the babysitter to answer. “Hey, Charyl. It’s Dia. I’m just checking up on you two.”

“Yu is still asleep,” Charyl responded. “But we’re okay otherwise.”

“That’s good. You have it easy tonight, then,” Dia joked. “Be sure to help yourself to some food tonight. I’m sure we’ll be bringing home some things tonight, too, so expect a mid-night snack before you head home.”

“Okay!” the babysitter cheered. “Tell Reis I wish her luck!”

“Will do, kiddo,” Dia responded. “We’ll talk to you later. See ya.” After ending the call, he set his phone on the table and looked to Reis. “Yu’s fine, and Charyl wishes you luck tonight.”

Reis tilted her head and smiled. “She’s such a good kid,” she said.

Qil softly belched. “Excuse me,” he pardoned himself. “Couldn’t hold that one in. Lovin’ this food.”

Dia couldn’t help but laugh. “You’re disgusting, my man,” he teased Qil. “I suppose it’s better than -”

Reis abruptly interrupted. “That’s enough! Thank you, gentlemen.” The men laughed. “You two are such pigs. Seriously.” Reis suddenly felt a tap at her shoulder. She turned to find a teenage boy standing there. “Well, hello, sir,” she greeted the boy.

“Oh! Oh! Could I get your autograph, please!” the teenager asked, overly excited. “My friends tease me, and say I would never be able to meet the Abes’ hottest… um, I mean… top player.” He paused and took a breath. “So, could I please get your autograph?” The boy held out a magazine, which showed Reis posing on its front cover. Dia looked to Qil, and vice versa.

Reis looked at the magazine, and then back at the boy. “You know,” she began, “I have a better idea.” She glanced at the camera hanging from the boy’s belt. “Let’s get a picture together. I bet that would shut your buddies up.” She took the magazine from the boy, and set it next to Dia’s phone.

The gleeful teenager fumbled with the camera. Dia snatched it and messed with some settings, suggesting, “I’ll take it.” He rose from his seat and stood by a sign. His wife, and her fan, posed in front of a large fountain. “Alright, hold it.” After some seconds, the camera flashed. Dia walked to the boy, saving the picture. “There ya go, kid. Show that to your friends.”

The boy jumped in excitement and took the camera. “Thanks a lot!” he squealed.

Reis put a hand on her fan’s shoulder. “When I score later tonight, watch for this sign,” she said, gesturing the sign. “That means it was for you, okay?” The boy’s friends were spotted out of the corner of her eye. “There they are, kiddo. Brag it up to them. And watch for my sign!”

The fan nodded and ran off. Dia stared at his wife, impressed. “I don’t even get a designated sign,” he teased. “He’s a lucky kid.”

The star player rose up to meet her lips with Dia’s. “You know you’re my biggest fan, sweetheart,” she assured, tilting her head in a cutesy fashion. “And besides, you’re luckier. You get more than some sign.”

*** ***​

Reis looked at her watch. “I need to get back, guys,” she said, interrupting Dia and Qil’s conversation. “Second half is about to start.”

“Damn,” Dia cursed, also checking his watch. “That went by too fast.”

Reis rose from her chair and leaned in towards Dia, kissing his cheek. “You two boys have fun talking about boring politics,” she teased. “I have a crowd to please.” She waved to Qil and disappeared into a group of people.

“Shall we get a move on, too?” Dia asked his fellow councilman.

“Just a sec,” Qil said. “Dia, Zeak’s been on edge lately. Yesterday, he was speaking of Code 6.”

Dia’s eyes narrowed; he cleared his throat, and replied, “Code 6? I know he’s peeved about the Al Bhed situation, but martial law throughout the city? He can’t honestly think the rest of the council will go for it. Like, a murdered councilman, or something along those lines.”

Qil sighed before taking a sip of his soda. “It’s just talk,” he continued on. “You know Zeak, though. He’s adamant about getting what he wants.”

A small laugh escaped Dia. “Sometimes, I wonder what happened to the old Zeak,” he said, standing from his chair. “He wasn’t always this way. It’s as if he suddenly hates the world. I’ll never understand.” He pushed in his chair and walked off, giving Qil a peace sign. “I’ll see you in there.”

Qil waved to Dia before finishing his drink; he tossed the empty container in the garbage as he walked by it, making his way to the men’s restroom. The only sounds he heard were dripping faucets and the cheers of fans as the second half started. He looked at himself in the mirror, turning the faucet on. “So much for peace,” he quietly said to himself; his hands cupped, and water filled the small area. “But, that’s the price.” He splashed the water on his face, and then dried it with the last paper towel.

He turned for the doorway, but a built man with an eye patch over his left eye stood in his way. “Excuse me,” Qil asked politely; he suddenly felt something thrust into his gut. He looked down to find his shirt soaked in blood, and the hilt of dagger sticking out; his vision blurred as he gazed up at his attacker. “W-what…?” The built man walked off in a nonchalant fashion as Qil dropped to his knees; he whispered his final words: “Oh… dammit…” Qil’s weakened body collapsed onto the bathroom floor.

Dia cheered as Reis scored. “Yeah!” he screamed. He looked around in the crowd, searching for Qil. “What’s taking him so long?”

*** ***​

Reis lowered to her knees, her eyes tearing while staring down at her cousin’s corpse.

Dia finished speaking with an inspector. Uneasiness overcame him as he walked over to his wife and lowered to her level, wrapping his arms around her. “It’s okay…” he whispered. Reis buried her face in her hands and continued to sob. “We’ll find out who did this,” Dia continued. “I promise, Reis.”

The star player wiped her tears away. “That won’t bring Qil back, Dia,” she snapped. “It’s too damn late!” She shrugged off Dia’s hold and stood to her feet. “… I’m going home.” She looked upon Qil one last time before shoving her way through a crowd.

A sigh escaped Dia; he also stood. The inspector walked up to him. “Be sure to keep us updated, Inspector,” Dia demanded. “This man was a councilman. Something like this can’t simply be let go.”

The inspector nodded and replied, “Believe me, sir. We’ll be on this case 24/7.” The two men shook hands before Dia left the scene, giving a final look back to his friend’s lifeless body, and shedding a quick tear.

The rain poured. Dia walked down the street, in thought, with his hands in his pockets. A truck slowed near him with a window lowered. His half-sister Haylen was in the driver’s seat. “Dia, what are you doing out in the rain?” she scolded. “Come on. Get in.”

Dia took his time getting in the truck. He let out a sigh as Haylen pressed on the gas. “I guess you wouldn’t know,” he said. “Qil’s body was found about an hour ago.” Haylen gasped and pulled the vehicle over, shutting the engine off. “I was on my way to his fiancée’s,” Dia continued. “I’m just taking the long way there.”

“It’s not easy being the bearer of bad news,” Haylen said with a comforting tone, setting a hand on Dia’s shoulder. “Remember when Dad died? Mom choked up when she tried to tell us. It won’t be easy, Dia, but someone needs to tell her. You know the authorities won’t.” Just then, sirens could be heard close by, and closing in. Haylen looked in the rearview mirror. “What’s going on?”

Police vehicles surrounded the truck. “Get out of the vehicle! Do it now!” an officer screamed over a speaker.

Haylen looked at Dia, and vice versa. Confusion was apparent. They stepped out of the car; high-tech firearms were firmly aimed at Dia. Standing before the officers was High Councilman Zeak. “Where are you running off to, Dia?” he said.

Dia held his hands up in everyone’s view. “Zeak, what the hell is this?” he questioned, fuming.

“Don’t play coy with me,” Zeak continued on. “Councilman Dia Yevon, you are hereby under arrest for the murder of Councilman Qil Strahl.”

Haylen snapped a look at Dia, lowering her hands. “What?” she stuttered. “Dia?”

Dia’s brows furrowed. He, too, lowered his hands. “Why in Spira would I murder him? He was my friend!” he yelled. “Where’s the proof?”

“Your fingerprints were found on the handle of the murder weapon,” Zeak replied. “Forensics confirmed it.” He turned his back to Dia and walked through the group of policemen. “Officers, arrest him.”

[ENTRY 2]

Story title: Little Eyes
Style: poetry
Mature content: no

Open your little eyes
You are about to see the world for the first time
This is going be your beginning
Don’t be afraid, you will have help
From your first steps to your last
You will have help
From here and above
Never forget you are being looked after
So open your little eyes
Open your hands and take the world in
It is yours to take for this is your beginning.

* Entrants are not allowed to vote for their own piece.
* Voting ends in 14 days.
* Please check the Information & Discussion board for more info on prizes and rewards.

Only two entries? Kinda bummer there, hopefully more next time!
good writing other person! :elmo:

I find there to be a lot more passion in the poem; more memorable to me.

Dogtag%20Jackrsquos%20Smirking%20Revenge.png

So I voted for one simply because I don't often read poetry, and as a result, I hesitate to judge it. The fan fiction excerpt, though it involved OCs, had a world I was familiar with and the ending in particular pulled me in and made me want to read more. The poem was beautiful, I just don't know much about poetry :(

Both were great entries!

Congratulations to Snoopy for winning the very first Creative Writing of the Month!
Your rewards will come to you shortly!

1. Rowe
2. Snoopy

Thanks for taking the time, guys!

Writers make sure that your entries for CWOTM are submitted before September 4th.
You can check out the guidelines here.

I do want to press we're still in our "test run". Please check the information and discussion thread for more info on this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back