Cloud is an Emo

OzDok, you freaking nailed it! Enjoy rep cookies~

Yeah, Cloud was fairly emo in the movie; as evidenced by the fact that he was incredibly depressed, guilt-stricken and suicidal. (Not wanting nor bothering to find a cure for the geostigma was the indicator that he was suicidal -- he wanted to die.) But then he got better.

Yay.

Happy face.

Confetti.

But in the game, he was a fairly well-regulated person, as anyone else generally is -- not overly emo at all. Hell, he even makes a few jokes in some places! :wacky: Shame, AC, for making everyone think Cloud is an emo. Shame!

In AC, he didn't want to die, he just wanted to fight alone because he felt that he didnt need to burden anyone else with his 'weakness'. Didn't you watch it? On his desk was a medical book, and in the extended version he even tells Marlene that he was looking for a cure for both him and Denzel.

I don't think Cloud is an emo. To be emo it seems like you'd have to be overly emotional to every little thing that happens in your life...and Cloud totally wasn't like that. If anything he seemed numb to a lot of what happened in the game...or blocked his emotions a lot. ...except for one very obvious part in the game where
Aerith dies her unfortunate death.

So if you numb yourself and don't allow your emotions to show by smiling, laughing, etc...I wouldn't exactly call that emo. He had reason to be like he was. He led a hard life and lived through a long period of identity crisis and he could've cried and complained about that every minute he could like Hope from XIII...but he didn't. He held it in.

So no, in my opinion he isn't an emo.

First of all, Aerith wasn't his "love", but let's not open that can of worms.

How defeatist was Cloud in the original game? The only time he gives in is when Sephiroth literally takes his mind apart. After that, he embraces his past and moves on to settle the score with Sephiroth.

In AC, he has a family depending on him, but he just ditches them and doesn't even keep in touch because he's swamped with self-pity. You'd think the experiences he had in the OG would have made him stronger, but nooooo.... They had to reboot his character so we could go over his battle with Sephiroth all over again.

There are different reasons and quotes of why I could say Aerith was Cloud's love. But you're right, let's not talk about that.

I'm not sure if you could call it a family. Barrett is Marlene's father (not biologically, but she calls him "daddy") and Tifa is known to take care of Marlene. In one part Marlene asks if they can "adopt" Cloud, which would almost make him like a brother. Just because he's a brother doesn't mean he has to stay with them.

And I do agree that in AC they made him a bit too depressing, since he only smiles once (at the end) and he has no voice variation. But, reading "On the way to a smile" helped with some angst toward Cloud...for me anyway.

And sorry, but what's OG? Original gangster? Otaku Gamer?

Well anyways I love Cloud, he is my fav FF character. So don't you call him a dickless wimp you meanie :xP:

I'm not sure if you could call it a family. Barrett is Marlene's father (not biologically, but she calls him "daddy") and Tifa is known to take care of Marlene. In one part Marlene asks if they can "adopt" Cloud, which would almost make him like a brother. Just because he's a brother doesn't mean he has to stay with them.

Tifa, Denzel, and Marlene (since they babysit her when Barret's away) - Cloud's got his own little family there, and it was an obvious theme of the movie. Even his old pals try to keep in touch with him but he shuns them because he's too busy feeling sorry for himself.

And sorry, but what's OG? Original gangster? Otaku Gamer?

Original Game.

Well anyways I love Cloud, he is my fav FF character. So don't you call him a dickless wimp you meanie :xP:

Too late for that. :D

Squalls not even emo.

My definition? Funny haircut that covers one eye, cries too much. talks about their feelings way too much. writes crappy songs. writes even worse and sad poetry. wears eyeliner :S. likes to cut themselves (I don't remember his gunblade going over his wrists lol). Cries for attention.

I think this quote says it all I don't think Cloud or Squall are Emo I find it funny that people even think it a little I don't think I would ever see Cloud or Squall would cry... and want people to feel sorry for them they are just to themselfs. I don't think that is emo at all there are lots of people who are just non open people. They both don't go on about there feelings where emo... well you know what is wrong with them at all times because they push it into your face...

In AC, he didn't want to die, he just wanted to fight alone because he felt that he didnt need to burden anyone else with his 'weakness'. Didn't you watch it? On his desk was a medical book, and in the extended version he even tells Marlene that he was looking for a cure for both him and Denzel.

Sadly, due to lack of many financial options, I have not purchase nor seen the extended version. So what you say I can only take your word on it.

And yeah, like I said -- he got better. Meaning, he was suicidal depressed, but got better and outta that shit during the course of the movie.

Personally, I'd wouldn't say that he's emo in the game but I'd agree with comments saying that he's emo in the movie. Game-wise, he did have Zack's memories but you can tell that the Cloud personality is really there. He's introverted, he's stoic, and he just wants to do jobs in order to make a living. However, he's not heavily emotional. Even when Aeris died, Cloud didn't seem depressed. Saddened? Yes, but then again everyone who knew her was. The guy did, however, have psychological issues (Sephiroth didn't help with this either). I'd say if there was a point where Cloud broke down and became emotional, it was in Disc 3 where he realizes that he's living a lie. You can tell he's embarrassed to confront his friends. You can tell that there's some doubt on whether he can really be the SOLDIER he once claimed to be. Emo? I wouldn't say so.

Movie-wise, he was so depressed that I would tag him with the label "Emo". The guy literally wanted to crawl into a corner and die. If it weren't for Tifa and the kids, he probably would have done so. Yes, I've read the stories and I know about the letter to Aeris' mom. No, I still don't think that's a good enough reason for SE to break the character.

Break the character?

I'm sorry, but what they're doing is developing the character further.

Yea he "got better" after the heroism on FFVII, but there was still much to be resolved on the matter of his guilt.

They show Cloud as being happy with his family for a while, but this is exactly what VII's examination of heroism is, after some time, it all comes back to you.

So It's not breaking the character, It's just putting him through a phase.

Also something not to be ignored is the fact he was hearing voices again and he and his ward were dying of a terminal diesiese.

***Spoilers***
His love (or friend, whatever you wanna believe) died.
He found out that he really wasn't a tough guy in SOLDIER, it was all made up
He found out that his best friend really wasn't his childhood friend after all
He gets a disease of which he will likely die soon

And yet he still lives on? That's a lot to go on one's shoulders!

Back