[Birthweek 2015] Writing Competition: Expanding the Universe!

Dionysos

Βρεκεκεκὲξ κοὰξ κοάξ
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
Shiva Snowflake
Carlos el Cactuar
Chocobo Egg
Accessory (Arms)
Build-A-Member
Accessory (Head)
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Moogle
Free Company
KupoCon

FFF Writing Competition: Expanding the Universe.

Enjoy writing? Looking for a reason to write again? Whether inspiration has planted a seed in your mind, or maybe you just want to force an idea out, then this writing competition is for you!

Simply write a short piece of fiction (of any length aiming up to approximately 3,500 words, but absolutely no more than 5,000).

You may choose one of the following options for your writing:

1. A short fan fiction set in any established Final Fantasy universe written in the style of any genre (be as creative as you like).
For example you may write in the style of detective fiction, Greek tragedy, a musical, or maybe even in epistolary form.The plot may be a reinterpretation of scenes seen in an FF game, or it could be an additional scene, or even an expansion of a scene referred to but never before seen in detail. The choice is yours!

2. A fictional cross-over. Contestants can write a story set in any Final Fantasy universe but they have to mix it with elements (characters, plot, or concepts, etc) from another fictional universe of their choosing.
Examples might be combining the world of FFXII with A Song of Ice and Fire, FFIX with Dragonball Z, or FFVI with War of the Worlds, or a Final Fantasy universe with mogwai gremlins instead of moogles! Be creative!

We do not expect or desire to receive novels, but a short story or a chapter or extract from a potential lengthier piece of fiction could be received as entries. Feel free to add a preface explaining your concept if you fear that it isn’t immediately recognisable. The preface will not affect the word limit. We shall not want to let obscurity get in the way of creativity.

A member may submit more than one entry if he or she is feeling very creative.

Submit all entries to Dionysos. The deadline for submitting entries will be June 30[SUP]th[/SUP]. A thread will be posted for voting on this day and so it is recommended to submit your entry earlier.

Prize:
1st place - 300 Gil - 5 BWP
2nd place – 100 Gil - 3 BWP
3rd place – 50 Gil - 2 BWP

25 Gil and 1 BWP will be granted to anybody who has entered the competition.

Have fun!

Hey guys. Just a thought...

If anybody out there is considering entering this competition, or is already working on a draft or something, let me know. Don't worry if you then decide that you don't want to do it or can't complete it. I just want an idea of who may be entering, or whether I need to bump this again.

If I have an idea whether this competition is being participated in or not then that'll help. :argor:

Less than a week to go for this now... Any other takers?

I think I'll state here that pre-written stories shall now be accepted too. So long as the story is your own you do not need to write a completely new story for this competition. Maybe you wrote a story years ago and want to submit it here, or maybe you want to tweak something you wrote ages ago for this competition.

I'm opening it up even more now.

Also, it does not need to be 3,500 words if that is putting people off... Any sensible length for telling a story.

:argor:

It's something I would be interested in, but I'm not really into writing fan fiction. Also doesn't seem all that much point if I'll be the only one :lew:

It's something I would be interested in, but I'm not really into writing fan fiction. Also doesn't seem all that much point if I'll be the only one :lew:

Ha ha. :D Well you'd be guaranteed some Birthweek Points and we all know that these are the only things worth fighting for on this planet.

Although it is possible that we may have two entries for this writing competition so far, depending on confirmation.

-

Perhaps next year we should host a competition where people can make a short film instead, providing it isn't a hassle for people. That might be more to your tastes.

Ha that would be pretty cool. :lew:

I'd quite like to see writing competitions become a more regular thing if there was interest from other members though. I find something like that motivates me well to write, and it's something I miss doing at times. We've never had a good track record with writing competitions though, they never last more than a first round and then interest just drops.

Ha that would be pretty cool. :lew:

I'd quite like to see writing competitions become a more regular thing if there was interest from other members though. I find something like that motivates me well to write, and it's something I miss doing at times. We've never had a good track record with writing competitions though, they never last more than a first round and then interest just drops.

The writers on this site are growing again, h34rt1lly (and perhaps a few others).

If there's really enough interest, I really don't mind hosting a few in Spira. =] Perhaps you can create an interest check in the section?

Last edited:
Sadly I didn't have much of a chance to participate in this, but I'd be all for future writing competitions. I'd like to get those creative juices flowing again. ^_^

The writers on this site are growing again, @h34rt1lly (and perhaps a few others).

If there's really enough interest, I really don't mind hosting a few in Spira. =] Perhaps you can create an interest check in the section?

I love contests and challenges! Writing challenges are so much fun and I love taking part in them. I know they've helped me expand my writing variety. Before I joined a few challenges, I'd never written a one-shot or smut (heh) and it forces me to leave my comfort zone. I'd always be down for joining a challenge/contest :) I know there's also Azecreth, and I've mentioned the forums in a fan fiction group on Facebook but I'm not sure how many, if any, have joined. Oh and DragonGirl323!

I don't write but I'm willing to explore the idea a bit more. Actually well I did do a bit of writing chapter stories in my teen years, but they were horrible. Also joined a few RP contests here, so that counts, I guess.

If you guys have any ideas for contests, feel free to give us a shout. I imagined a monthly contest would suffice? We can hand out GP as prize (closest thing to monetary rewards). GP can be redeemed for gift cards, delivered electronically, etc.

I don't write but I'm willing to explore the idea a bit more. Actually well I did do a bit of writing chapter stories in my teen years, but they were horrible. Also joined a few RP contests here, so that counts, I guess.

If you guys have any ideas for contests, feel free to give us a shout. I imagined a monthly contest would suffice? We can hand out GP as prize (closest thing to monetary rewards). GP can be redeemed for gift cards, delivered electronically, etc.

If it's monthly, I may not be able to submit every month. Unless it's something small, like a drabble (1000 < words). I have so many works in progress running right now that I don't know if I could handle writing something new every month XD But different themes would be great. Or something along those lines.

Being in this writing competition was so much fun! I'm glad I joined just in time to put in an entry. I think we should definitely do more!

Back