Why do people call this the best game ever?

I agree. It is more action and no turn base, bonus if you like Disney too. It is strange to know that a crossover between Disney and Final Fantasy works so well.

Speaking of which, there is a Final Fantasy VII Easter Egg in the Disney show, THE OWL HOUSE
View attachment 10430

Nice! I've never heard of that show, but I like that it has come full circle now and we're getting Final Fantasy references in American Disney shows. There was also an Aerith Easter egg in Wreck-it-Ralph, but that was filled with nods to countless computer games so Final Fantasy probably wasn't considered particularly special in that one.

Still, the Disney-Final Fantasy team-up works, for me, because both seem to have that 'magic formula' of memorable characters, music, artistic direction, self-referential nods to scratch our nostalgia itch, and often fantastic stories which combine humour with sad, poignant moments, etc.

That said, Kingdom Hearts doesn't lean too heavily on Final Fantasy, mostly focusing on Disney, so Kingdom Hearts might be a franchise of interest if Final Fantasy isn't.

There was also an Aerith Easter egg in Wreck-it-Ralph, but that was filled with nods to countless computer games so Final Fantasy probably wasn't considered particularly special in that one.

Yeah it was in Graffiti. Bit disappointing as it would have been nice to see her. But the film was based in the Arcade so unless there was an Arcade Gold Saucer, wemay have seen more then Aerith around in the movie

I think this what has enabled the franchise to live as long as it has. The franchise continually reinvents itself, and yet retains the 'spirit' of Final Fantasy. Times change, and with it the development team alters, as do public tastes. But throughout, certain tropes, character names, summons, maybe even some direct (fourth wall breaking) references are all reused, but somehow they keep mashing it all up and starting from scratch.

It is like a big pit filled with Lego bricks. Different people join the team and assemble the blocks in different ways, or introduce new blocks, but there are always recognisable blocks in their creations.

And the psychological element with the characters is another draw, I agree. I've recently read the book The Psychology of Final Fantasy: Surpassing the Limit Break (edited by Anthony Bean) which has got me appreciating this angle more. You simply don't tend to get this depth in RPGs which make you the character and give you a sandbox. I definitely prefer the JRPG storytelling approach to Final Fantasy. Even their online games where the player is the character are pulled off relatively cleverly so that there are still lots of characters around them for the player to connect with on a deep level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps because of the relationship between hero and villain. The basis of the characters leveled out as they embody the story between who they are that would be my guess. Sephiroth is a very popular name in the story cloud also and so they're forever connected and many fans love them both equally.

Just a quick summary of why FF7 is popular. for me it's a good game though its prob nr 4 in my top 10.

Nr 1 is FF 6
Nr 2 is FF 9
Nr 3 is FF 12
Nr 4 is FF 7

but that's not why I came here, I could probably write 5 books about why it's so popular but I'm gonna do it in a few lines

1st it was one of the First 3D games out there, sure it's more like a 2,5D but for its time it was pretty good

2nd FVII was the first game of the series to be released simultaneously in both Japan, North America, Europe, and Australia. It was a massive launch that people the world overheard about.

3rd First FF Game released on PC so it touched also people who weren't into console gaming.

4th First FF game with Cinematics

5th Longest FF game so far.

6th ´Diesel-Punk´ Game

7th Tetsuya Nomura Game

it didn't age very well that's for sure but it touched millions of people back then.
Final Fantasy was known in Japan, had some releases in America but 7 was also the first FF Game in Europe.

The soundtracks were in my opinion not bad, not Nobuo his greatest work in my opinion that one goes to 5 and 6 soundtracks.

Very dated absolutely but i mainly speak from being a guy who played this game back in 1997 so I'm incredibly fond of the experience i even went as far as clocking the Android version of the game, There's not much else i can say since at the very most i can consider FFVII the best Final Fantasy game but not in general when stacking it up against many other great games of different designs so no it's not the best Video Game ever...

people also call ff6 being best ff game ever, while ff7 coming next as second. people also call the time between ff6 and ff12 as golden age of ff series. ff13 is more considered to have good battle system, but weak character design and not deeply enough and also confusing sometimes. ff7 itself is called to be most iconic of ff series. Iconic means the most popular ff game, which also took jrpg genre out of japan to an audience worldwide. ff7 also remains as best selling ff game ever with a story script of over 300 pages and high production and promotion cost.

Back