Help Why can't I do the Butterfly game a second time after defeating the Spherimorph?

RamenMage

Gil
I am currently playing the HD Remastered version. When I first got to Macalania Woods i did both of the Butterfly games, and got the MP Sphere, and the Ether. My understanding is that you can do this a second time after defeating the Spherimorph, and then again after obtaining the airship. So after defeating the Spherimorph, I went back to do them the second time, and get the Megalixir x2, and Elixir x2. However, doing the Butterfly games is only resulting in an already opened, and empty chest appearing. So I decided to continue with the game, When I get back to Macalania Woods, after leaving Bevelle, I tried the Butterfly games again, but again, only rewarded with already opened chests. Is there something I am missing that is needed to refresh this game, and give the new rewards, or is this some kind of glitch? Everywhere I look online, people say you can it after defeating the Spherimorph, which I have already done, and it's still before the airship.

I've added Help prefix tags to aid the visibility of this thread.

Welcome to the forums!

I'm unfortunately not too familiar with this particular aspect of Final Fantasy X (it has been too long since I myself played the game). One of our Global Moderators has, however, asked on your behalf in our Discord chat group and I believe somebody is going to post a potential solution here when they can.

I am currently playing the HD Remastered version. When I first got to Macalania Woods i did both of the Butterfly games, and got the MP Sphere, and the Ether. My understanding is that you can do this a second time after defeating the Spherimorph, and then again after obtaining the airship. So after defeating the Spherimorph, I went back to do them the second time, and get the Megalixir x2, and Elixir x2. However, doing the Butterfly games is only resulting in an already opened, and empty chest appearing. So I decided to continue with the game, When I get back to Macalania Woods, after leaving Bevelle, I tried the Butterfly games again, but again, only rewarded with already opened chests. Is there something I am missing that is needed to refresh this game, and give the new rewards, or is this some kind of glitch? Everywhere I look online, people say you can it after defeating the Spherimorph, which I have already done, and it's still before the airship.
I asked in Discord though I'm not sure we have an answer. I took some time to browse the internet on your behalf, though I'm sure I've probably only found the same information that you've found in your own search, which is... well, no answer I'm afraid. :sad2:

I assumed that you had just forgotten that you had back did it at a later time, but you said just after the Spherimorph battle you tried and the chest was empty then, so that's probably not it. Is it possible the first time you tried (after the battle) you left the mini-game by accident before reclaiming your prizes? Most places I'm reading it says it shouldn't matter, that you should be able to play the mini-game again, but perhaps it's different in the HD Remake? Is the third section open despite you having not gotten the airship yet?

Sorry there isn't many answers, I hope you're able to figure it out, or that someone else who has more knowledge can chime in! :worried:

Back