Which game should I play?

WhiteKnight

ShinRa Guard
Gil
I played FF VII years ago and recently just played through FF I and FF II.

Which game should I play next? I went on a sort of purchase spree because there is a local used game store in my city which offers used games and it is not Gamestop

So I have

FF III DS
FF IV DS
FF IV (FF II SNES)
FF V Advance
FF VI (FF III SNES)

Which should I play next? Obviously FF III on the DS is the next in the series, I have heard that FF VI (FF III SNES) is one of the best in the entire series. I don't think I could play multiple at the same time I would likely get the story all mixed up

Also, how are the FF games which aren't part of the main series? I played tactics, but what about the Crystal Chronicles series and the 4 Heroes of Light?

Start with III and work your way up. This way you can see how the games have changed and evolved.

Well I've already played FF VII and FF Tactics. So I do have some idea of how the games have changed. I got to say FF II was difficult with the level raising system (lack thereof of the traditional system), I did like FF I more. I also didn't like the rotating fourth party member because you never get the opportunity to build them up.

Does anyone think there are any versions which are the preferable versions?
Say for example

FF II SNES (FF IV) v. FF IV DS v. FF IV Advance

FF III SNES (FF VI) v. FF VI Advance

I don't have a Playstation 2 or PSP so if any collections were made for those I wouldn't be able to play them. However I do have some leeway because I have a SNES, 3DS and GBA Micro so I can choose between options.

Tactics isn't part of the main series. I'm meaning the numbered series, you can see how they evolved and changed. Tactics is its own thing.

I know Tactics isn't part of the main series, but it is still a FF game and a great one. If anyone knows any differences of games in post #4 please let me know

The DS version has the most extra content out of the 3. The PSP version has the After Years, but you don't have a PSP as stated. The DS version is superior to the advance version, so play either the SNES version which is almost the same thing as the advance version (aside from script changes).

The differences here aren't much from what I've seen. VI Advance looks cleaner IMO and it has some script changes here and there. Aside from some small extras, they're both essentially the same thing. But it's a great game and whoops VII's ass.

I don't have a Playstation 2 or PSP so if any collections were made for those I wouldn't be able to play them. However I do have some leeway because I have a SNES, 3DS and GBA Micro so I can choose between options.

Well The DS and Advance for FF IV has the most extra stuff, and the Snes version is actually the "Easy" mode as they called it in Japan.

For FF VI The advance has the most extras and is cleaner. You get an extra dungeon and a couple other little extras...

But for what game to play... Well

III has a little weird level up system, not as bad as II's but yeah its still kinda meh..

FF IV has a basic storyline that is easy to follow and characters that are easy to level up and have set classes.

FF V you can decide what class you want everyone to be, and there are only 4 characters so you wont be losing characters or swapping in any characters at all.

FF VI looks like.. a futuristic industrial era setting (if that makes any sense) and has a lot of characters that you can swap in and out, and also has you learn magic kinda like how you did in FFVII (only your characters keep magic they have learned)

III-V are all mid-evil settings. So I hope that helps a little without giving away any plot information.

I completely forgot that SNES games use battery back-up for save files. Those batteries must be 15+ years old now so I think I'm going to go with the DS or GBA versions because I don't want to end up with a battery that no longer has a charge in those older SNES cartridges. I've never lost a saved game on a RPG before and after putting hours into games like Chrono Trigger and I really don't want to :)

Thanks for the info all

FFVI. I've not played it all but what I did play of it was very enjoyable. It's kind of hard to get back into a game with 2D graphics like that though haha. But so long as that doesn't bother you then I reckon FFVI is your next bet. Kefka is awesome too :grin:

WTF

Playing through FF VI my save files got corrupted :banghead:

I'm pretty sure I was near the end too I had just found Locke in the World of Ruin :banghead:

If you want my opinion. I think all the FFs should be played at least once through. There are different opinions for everyone and I like them all for their ability to be unique in every aspect. Which basically sums up to battle system and the upgrade system. An interesting story is good too, but even so that I haven't finished "all" of them. I like the fact in Final Fantasy 1 you pick a set class of characters and gain levels of magic up to 9 in a set that you can use when you purchase. Also in 2 you gain the ability to purchase the magic *and* level it up which has a different upgrade system. Three and Five had the same job picking system, but three let you pick the job depending on how much you've used it and the physical and magical talents that you had. Four was leveling up and learning magic while you level while six had you learn magic through espers, which depending on the severity and importance gave you a higher or lower rate of learning. Final Fantasy 7's materia system was good through weapons and armlets that gave you choices of which magic and support skill sets you could use. 8 was much about drawing magic from foes and upgrading by junctioning magic to different stats. 9 was directly learning abilities from your equipment and using the attacks and supports in battle whether or not you learn them a few,some or most is up to you. 10's system of the sphere grid had to be the most easiest to learn because you gain each sphere level to increase a stat or gain an ability. Because of that I think it was the most easiest and made the playing field of the game less of a challenge because characters were balanced out really well. I have not played 11 so I don't know about that one and 12 is probably one of the best ones I've played just because of the license and gambits. With so much freedom and depth you really can't go wrong with 12. Still some people hate it so I don't know. 13 I have not played. But also because each ff is different from the other one with summons, magics, and techniques I think it's a sure winner. I'd like to say the mana series comes close to being the best rpg franchise, but final fantasy takes the gold. No matter how much a hear people complain that 12 sucks.

I do plan to play at least the first half of the series. In fact I recently went out and purchased all of them. I figure I'll play those first and then I'll move on to the more recent games. I don't have a Playstation II or Playstation III so anything past FF IX is going to have to wait.

I'm still recovering from my corrupted FF VI save file :cry: it was really unfortunate because that game was really good so far. I guess at least because it was such an enjoyable Final Fantasy game compared to FF II I get to play it again. Whereas FF II isn't really on my to play again list.

Maybe FF III or FF IV next, I feel like a 3D FF and I got the DS versions.

Back