What are the best versions for FF I-VI

LeClefLame

Gil
At the time, I played FF I-VI for the GB advanced but did not 100% complete the games. I'm now going to replay the first six for this purpose as I've already done this for VII-X(2)* and now that new formats have been released and even some old ones being recommended, which formats for FF I-VI are the best in terms of being the best enhanced and being true to the original?

IMO:
Final Fantasy - PSP (Much prettier sprites than the PS1 Origins Version.)
Final Fantasy II - PSP
Final Fantasy III - PC (The DS versions combat has poor framerate issues, PSP version is tight though!)
Final Fantasy IV - PSP (Like FF1&2, FF4 on the PSP looks so crisp and sharp & still has that 16-Bit look unlike the iOS versions of the following...)
Final Fantasy V - GBA (Still the best version, I'm intending to play this via Emulator, which even in 1080p full screen looks decent.)
Final Fantasy VI - SNES (I didn't like the translation of the GBA version & the Loading times on the PS1 can drag...)

You got everything right except FF6. The GBA translation is the best one out there for English. The only issues are the low quality audio and a few bugs.

Final Fantasy - 20th Anniversary Edition (PSP)
The game looks really pretty with those redrawn graphics, which are a huge improvement over both the PS1 and GBA versions. Plus the difficulty has been tweaked somewhat (i.e. less grinding required) from the PS1 version though quite close to the GBA.

Final Fantasy II - 20th Anniversary Edition (PSP)
See above.

Final Fantasy III - PC
I've played both the DS and PSP versions, preferring the PSP. However I understand the PC version is an improvement.

Final Fantasy IV - PSP
The definitve version IMO. Redrawn 2D graphics much like the Anniversary editions of the first two games. Also comes with it's sequels (Interlude and The After Years). Far superior in sound and graphics over the GBA version which was terrible. Also restores a lot of content from it's original Japanese SNES release which was omitted from the US versions of the original.

Final Fantasy V - SNES (with translation patch)/GBA
If you don't mind the dodgy fan translation then the SNES version is the best. Sure with the GBA you get extra content but that extra is nothing special by that point in the game. The translation in the GBA is miles better aswell but what brings it down is the sound quality and graphics that make it seem like a very watered down port. If you intend to play by emulator then there is a patch that can give the SNES version the GBA script, which is what I'm playing on and off now and it's great. However if you want to stick to official releases then the GBA is the next best thing.

Final Fantasy VI - SNES
Exact same reasons as for FFV. The GBA version looks HORRIBLE. The GBA version does have cool additional content though and the best translation, but for me the SNES is still the best experience.

It's a huge shame that V and VI didn't get the same PSP treatment as I, II and IV did. I would love to play those games in that style with the updated translations and additional content from the GBA games. Avoid the iOS/Android versions as even though I kinda see what they were going for in terms of the graphics, the execution was terrible and they ended up looking like RPGmaker crap (don't even get me started on the controls). Also avoid any PS1 versions. Either far superior versions out there (FF I and II) or they are just hastily put together ports with low loading times and bad sound (IV, V and VI).

You got everything right except FF6. The GBA translation is the best one out there for English. The only issues are the low quality audio and a few bugs.

Hmmm, I can't really agree, there are countless examples of the differences which can be seen here:

For me the most glaring example is when you first encounter Shadow, who is this seedy character at a bar with a vicious dog by his side, Edgar warns us about him delivering this line:
“That’s Shadow…! He’d slit his mama’s throat for a nickel!”
It's sharp and to the point and really makes Shadow seem like a badass not to be reckoned with.

Then you get the translated line:
“That's Shadow…… He’s an assassin. He'd kill his own best friend for the right price.”
… It's overly wordy, and just more vague lacking the sharp detail of the previous line. I just find the GBA version nauseating.

Back