Crisis Core Were Aerith and Zack really serious?

Ofc they're serious! T^T

They're the sweetest couple I've ever seen! Aerith loves Cloud just becoz he looks like Zack, means she cannot forget Zack!

Why did Zack have to die? T^T

First of all I'd like to say I respect every others' opinion, even not agreeing with them, after all there are many holes in the plot that can me filled by the reader/viewer/player and everybody has the right to fill the holes the way he/she wants.

In my own view, it is possible that Aerith never even have kissed Zack. Of course they liked each other and most probably had deep feelings one over the other (true or not it doesn't matter) .
But what I think it may have happened is that the distance made the feeling grow to disproportionate heights. It is from human nature to long for what you don't have and the distance between them made both long for the other more than they should if they were together.
By the amount of time and letters Aerith sends Zack, for me it is clear that she was obsessed with him and had developed Limerence, which grew every time she had her letters ignore. She was a teenager and these things happen a lot to teenagers. Though Zack felt something for her, it was, in Aerith's point of view, an unrequited love.

The way she deals with her past love in FFVII is a mix of denial and sadness. This is part of the process of experiencing a remarkable event, like Limerence. I think her infatuation for Cloud is part of denial process, as she never gets to know Cloud better (and most likely never even kissed him as well). For me, it looks like she was trying to recreate her "would-be" relationship with Zack using Cloud as a substitute.

That said, for me Aerith was not emotionally stable to develop a serious relationship yet. This, IMO, is one more factor that makes her my favorite FF character. She is too human, too balanced, too real. She avoids clichés, which is rare in game characters.
She dies, so our human compassion naturally wants some kind of compensation to her. But, if she was just a flower-lady (beggar) who lived in the slums, never had something remarkable in her life, like a romantic relationship, a great adventure, etc (despite of her remarkable nature), was lively, had problems to deal with her feelings and with others' feelings (like, for example, on the first visit to Gold Saucer), she is surely light-years ahead of all the other characters and I prefer to consider her that way, as there is nothing I consider canon that could contradict my views.

When I played Crisis Core, I saw their relationship as something that could have potentially became something rather serious. However, due to events of Zack's missions and Tseng interfering with her letters it never seemed to grow beyond a certain point. Aerith obviously cared for him because she kept writting to him despite never getting a reply from Zack. I think she loved him but thought perhaps it was time to move on. When she saw Cloud, I think she saw Zack in him and fell in love again or felt some sort of affection towards the blonde for his similarities to someone she had lost to a war. By saying no, to me, that just means it never had a chance to blossom.

I honestly think she loved Zack though.
And Zack seemed to light up when she phoned, etc.

Last edited:
It wasn't intimate, IMO. They really never had the chance to, plus Tseng or Reno always had their heads shoved up Aerith's ass. Those 89 letters? None of them ever reached Zack, so don't run around saying that he wasn't serious because he never replied to them. I forgot where it's at, but Tseng finds all the letters that Zack never got.

Being together in the Lifestream probably has them more intimately connected than they could ever have been in game. Again, this is just my opinion.

Of course it is my opinion, but I see them deeply connected after their deaths, but not in a special way, just the way every good person will be connected to each other.
I think both Aerith and Zack only knew each other truly in the Lifestream. IMO, after death, romantic feelings don't make sense. Still, they'd be together for affinity and because they had some tasks in common, as everybody in FFVII exists for Cloud.

First of all I'd like to say I respect every others' opinion, even not agreeing with them, after all there are many holes in the plot that can me filled by the reader/viewer/player and everybody has the right to fill the holes the way he/she wants.

In my own view, it is possible that Aerith never even have kissed Zack. Of course they liked each other and most probably had deep feelings one over the other (true or not it doesn't matter) .
But what I think it may have happened is that the distance made the feeling grow to disproportionate heights. It is from human nature to long for what you don't have and the distance between them made both long for the other more than they should if they were together.
By the amount of time and letters Aerith sends Zack, for me it is clear that she was obsessed with him and had developed Limerence, which grew every time she had her letters ignore. She was a teenager and these things happen a lot to teenagers. Though Zack felt something for her, it was, in Aerith's point of view, an unrequited love.

The way she deals with her past love in FFVII is a mix of denial and sadness. This is part of the process of experiencing a remarkable event, like Limerence. I think her infatuation for Cloud is part of denial process, as she never gets to know Cloud better (and most likely never even kissed him as well). For me, it looks like she was trying to recreate her "would-be" relationship with Zack using Cloud as a substitute.

That said, for me Aerith was not emotionally stable to develop a serious relationship yet. This, IMO, is one more factor that makes her my favorite FF character. She is too human, too balanced, too real. She avoids clichés, which is rare in game characters.
She dies, so our human compassion naturally wants some kind of compensation to her. But, if she was just a flower-lady (beggar) who lived in the slums, never had something remarkable in her life, like a romantic relationship, a great adventure, etc (despite of her remarkable nature), was lively, had problems to deal with her feelings and with others' feelings (like, for example, on the first visit to Gold Saucer), she is surely light-years ahead of all the other characters and I prefer to consider her that way, as there is nothing I consider canon that could contradict my views.

She was the last survivor of the Cetra race, was abducted when she was a baby and her father shot, was experimented on, escaped with her mother who then died in front of her.

Not just a flower lady.

despite of her remarkable nature,
She was the last survivor of the Cetra race, was abducted when she was a baby and her father shot, was experimented on, escaped with her mother who then died in front of her.

Not just a flower lady.

You have missed that on my post. All those events you mentioned didn't really help changing her personality and it is about personality and personal traits that I was talking about. In the end, despite of being a Cetra or having such a tragic childhood, she ended being just a flower lady.

Last edited:
I think they weren't a couple but very, very close friends.
Also meaning that if not for Zack's death they would be one, because they're feelings were honest.

I think they were a serious couple. It is just that Zack was VERY busy with his SOLDIER work and didn't have enough time for her. And with his
Death
and the fact that she sent so much un-answered letters to him, I guess she began to grow tired of him and didn't care for him so much anymore. But at the beginning of their relationship, they were very serious.

just going to bump this up just because I've been read randomly on Cloud/Tifa/Aeris ordeal...right before Zack dies in CC, those bars in the battle at the end is just Aeris's face isn't it? Like someone said above, 89 letters is something. That something is a CLUE that they obviously liked each other at THAT time but I do agree that later on when Aeris is an adult, she did see it as something in the past that wasn't really there BUT, back then, it was there and could have grown...if Zack didn't die.

I think that they could have been. Zack was certainly determined to see her again. I've also read on the Final Fantasy wiki that she also had feelings for him, but just felt that her feelings were unrequited.

The entire FFVII Compilation is really just one big tragedy. =\

No, I don't think so. Zack and Aerith were...young, innocent, immature...or at least...one of them was. Zack was too into himself to be serious with Aerith, we saw him flirting with other girls, and wasn't there a quote from Nomura saying he was to have cheated on Aerith with Cissnei?

In Aerith's own words, no, they never got serious, but she liked him for awhile ;/

Back