Crisis Core Were Aerith and Zack really serious?

Saints&Storms

Don't make the mountain your enemy
Veteran
Gil
Well I was wondering back in FFVII we had Aerith speaking to Cloud about Zack and how Cloud looked like him an had the same rank and eyes or what-not.

Cloud also asked Aerith if she and Zack had ever been serious as a dating pair; Aerith says "No" but that she liked him for a while.
I believe the Crisis Core book says that Aerith and Zack got "intimate" but that contradicts FFVII.

I am just wondering if they were REALLY serious as a couple?

Hmm, I'm not sure. Both condradict the other, to be honest. :hmmm:

But I'll go with the safe bet, if the original game says no, I'll go with it.

This is a tricky subject since the compiliation is all over the place.

I believe that they were potentially serious, but each were sort of shy about being together when it came to it. Think about it, there's probably a lot of things that we didn't see that was included in the game.

I never played the original game or read the compilations, whatever there may be, but in my opinion. Based on Crisis Core alone, it looks to me that Zack and Aerith were pretty much good friends together, with just a little hint at romance. Though, I would think Zack really did love Aerith a lot though.

Just look at the ending of Crisis Core. Not going to spoil any further, but well, I suppose we can take it that at least one side is serious about it?

And I'm kinda curious about the 'Crisis Core book'. Is there any title? I think I wanna read it too :D

Going off the game itself, didn't feel like it. They didn't have much chance to get that serious either and while it's obvious they cared for one another by the end I think what Aerith said to Cloud is true. I haven't read any of the books though. Were they written by any of the people behind the games or a third party?

Given the fact that
Aerith sent Zack 89 letters over the course of four years AND wore pink specifically for him,
I'd say they were pretty serious about each other. Additionally, Cloud's similarity to Zack is what initially made him attractive to Aerith.

Obviously she played it off like it was nothing serious in the original game, but Crisis Core retcons this in my opinion. It's important to point out that Aerith also acted like she didn't know Zack was dead, but the ending of Crisis Core makes it pretty clear that she at least knew something was wrong.

All in all, it just depends on how you view the Compilation. Some people consider only the original game canon, but I'm one of the few that looks at the series as a whole and takes the Compilation seriously.

Given the fact that
Aerith sent Zack 89 letters over the course of four years AND wore pink specifically for him,
I'd say they were pretty serious about each other. Additionally, Cloud's similarity to Zack is what initially made him attractive to Aerith.

Aerith herself says they weren't that serious, and that Cloud was actually much different than Zack only the rank and eyes were similar to be honest.
I think she wore it because she knew he was dead, she is an Ancient after all.

Obviously she played it off like it was nothing serious in the original game, but Crisis Core retcons this in my opinion. It's important to point out that Aerith also acted like she didn't know Zack was dead, but the ending of Crisis Core makes it pretty clear that she at least knew something was wrong.

I think she was playing it off at first but I think the moment she decided to stop sending him letters she decided the relationship wasn't that serious.

I think she acted like he wasn't dead to deny her Ancient abilities, she had done it before too

All in all, it just depends on how you view the Compilation. Some people consider only the original game canon, but I'm one of the few that looks at the series as a whole and takes the Compilation seriously.

I think its all Canon but we have to remember some are retcons, some which don't even make sense -- Aerith's Ribbon for instance :hmmm:

they could have been serious, but they never got the chance... I think it was a LITTLE serious, but they looked to be more really good friends, rather than intimate.

Maybe, but other than that I think Zack's Lady's Man ways weren't right for Aerith anyway. Other than that Zack is an irreplaceable friend.

I agree, I don't believe they got the chance to be intimate.

:hmmm:

I think that they were serious... IN THEIR OPINIONS. But as an adult woman, I'm sure Aerith looked back at her past first love, who she felt she was serious with AT THE TIME, and realized how UNSERIOUS their realationship really was.

Hmm, in other words, two kids might be "Dating" and they might see their relationship consisting of cuddling and playing as serious, but in reality, as two people mature, they realize that the "serious" relationship they thought they were in wasn't as "serious" or "intimate" as they thought.

If I remember right, Aerith sent Zack 89 letters over the time-space of four years, that's at least a letter a month... and Zack during that whole time never even so much as sent her one back. That might not have been his fault, but from Aerith's point of view, it would seem as though he just ended his realationship. We never even saw them kiss, and as far as we know, they only went on one "date".

Literally speaking, their relationship wasn't serious or intimate, seeing how they never kissed or slept together, as far as we've been told or seen.

However, I believe Aerith felt they were serious at the time they were together, much like every young girl thinks with their first light taste of love. But as she matured into a woman, she realized that their relationship really wasn't as serious as she felt it was in the past.

I agree with the woman above me. :ohoho:

I'm an avid CxA shipper first, and a ZxA shipper second... heck I'll ship Aerith with Cid if there's enough proof. :awesome:

In the original game, you get the feel that they weren't serious because of how offhanded Aerith talks about Zack. But through that you get a sense that she's hiding something... maybe she felt something more for him.

In the way that the relationship ended with Zack gone missing and Aerith sending this man letters that supposedly went unrequitedly... you always want the one that got away. You can't really grieve over the end of a relationship that has no solid ending. He just vanished from her life after things were going great. So she obviously held out hope over the years "Well, maybe today will be the day that he shows up..." it's clear and obvious in the way that she still wears his ribbon in later events and wears more pink because he encouraged her, that even though he 'ended it' she still felt something for him.

Yeah, okay sis that makes tons of sense, I can see that Aerith believed when she was young that they were serious, I think the one moment that showed that was the hug scene when Zack was crying. But as a matured Woman she learned.

They were young, that would explain Aerith's later statement of them not being serious as well.

---
@channy
Yeah I do get that feeling from when she says "I liked him for awhile", not that she's in denial or doesn't understand her feelings but that the relationship was still special to her.

Yeah I think you always do in relationships, but like Cali said I think she realized that it was her first love, you never forget them, your glad you had them, but it never lasts.

Yes, exactly you two bloody brilliant women. :ryan: Of course she holds Zack and their relationship close to her heart. Who wouldn't? ^_^

As I said ealier, they felt they were serious, but as adults, it wasn't very intimate or serious. :3

Aerith herself says they weren't that serious, and that Cloud was actually much different than Zack only the rank and eyes were similar to be honest.
I think she wore it because she knew he was dead, she is an Ancient after all.
Yes but Crisis Core retcons what she tells Cloud in the original game. The game makes it pretty obvious that Aerith did more than just "like him for awhile" if I remembered that quote correctly. Also, I said Cloud's similarity to Zack is what attracted her initially =) She goes on to love Cloud for his differences, but that initial spark is brought on because she sees a little bit of Zack in him. As for the clothes, theres a scene in CC where she tells Zack she's going to wear all pink so that he'll be able to spot her in a crowd when he gets back to Midgar.

I think she was playing it off at first but I think the moment she decided to stop sending him letters she decided the relationship wasn't that serious.
I think it's more that she's just decided sending the letters is a lost cause because he's obviously either, in her mind, not getting them or not returning them for some reason. The fact that she bothers to send them at all over such a long period of time shows, in my opinion, that she cares and she's confused about why he hasn't come back to her.

I think she acted like he wasn't dead to deny her Ancient abilities, she had done it before too
I agree ^^

I think its all Canon but we have to remember some are retcons, some which don't even make sense -- Aerith's Ribbon for instance:
hmmm: Why doesn't Aerith's ribbon make sense?

In the way that the relationship ended with Zack gone missing and Aerith sending this man letters that supposedly went unrequitedly... you always want the one that got away. You can't really grieve over the end of a relationship that has no solid ending. He just vanished from her life after things were going great. So she obviously held out hope over the years "Well, maybe today will be the day that he shows up..." it's clear and obvious in the way that she still wears his ribbon in later events and wears more pink because he encouraged her, that even though he 'ended it' she still felt something for him.
I agree, I mean Aerith and Zack were really beginning to develop a deep relationship that was special to both of them, as seen by the fact that Zack sent his parents that letter about actually having a girlfriend. Yes, they weren't ever intimate, but that's because they hadn't reached that stage in the relationship yet. Everything was tragically cut short by Zack's "disappearance". Who's to say they wouldn't have reached that stage though if he hadn't have left on the mission? All in all though, their relationship truly was more than just a simple crush or puppy love it was something special that had been developing more and more day after day.

Also, it's 2 AM here so ignore any errors in grammar/spelling please lol

:hmmm:

I think that they were serious... IN THEIR OPINIONS. But as an adult woman, I'm sure Aerith looked back at her past first love, who she felt she was serious with AT THE TIME, and realized how UNSERIOUS their realationship really was.

Hmm, in other words, two kids might be "Dating" and they might see their relationship consisting of cuddling and playing as serious, but in reality, as two people mature, they realize that the "serious" relationship they thought they were in wasn't as "serious" or "intimate" as they thought.

Definitely, I agree 100%. Aerith probably didn't think of them as serious after she grew up a bit, but in my opinion, I think she thought they were serious during the time he helped build the flower wagon, protected her, and went searching for his lost wallet. Even though they couldn't be together, she still tried for a few years, sending 89 letters and all, but what I consider they had was a "puppy" love (no pun intended for Zack).

I dont think we should underestimate the depth of there relationship?

Aeris was the last of her People(Acients/Cetra) she had a large responsibility on her shoulders keeping the knowledge of here people alive, Aerith was not just some regular teenager she knew of the world. The real World the mechanism of the lifestream and fragility and fleeting strength of life.

And Zack he may have been cut down by an army but it was his love for Aeris that willed him, well that combined with hatred for shinra Survival instinct and wanting to protect cloud, but mostly it was Aerith the willed him on.

It was Aeris that Zack was longing to see.

But we all know how that turned out.

I think "were they serious?" is an inadequate question to ask.
I does not do justice to the Idea of Zack and Aeris as a couple.
The existing debate of whether they belonged together supersedes the whole question:lew: Which they do.

Belong together as ascended people in the Lifestream.

Gives me an Idea............

Considering how they are pictured as being together in Advent children and the way they talked to each other like they were a married couple, deciding whether or not to keep Cloud there, I think the relationship was serious. Also, at the end of Crisis Core, Aerith senses Zack's death. Mostly only relatives or those that have a strong bond of some sort between them can experience this sort of foreboding when something happens to a loved one. they were both flirtatious in their own ways towards each other and made things light between them, but I feel they both loved each other dearly deep down. Quite sad that the only time they were able to join together seriously was in the lifestream, after Zack gave his life to save Cloud, and after Aerith was cut down by Sephiroth.

I'm probably gonna get in a lot of trouble by most of you for saying this, but Aerith reminds me of my ex-best friend Ashley.
Pure. Whole-hearted. Loves everyone. Best friends with everybody. But, turns out the she was a whore. Loved some pot on the side too. I'm not saying theres any proof of Aerith being like this... but it wouldn't surprise me. It's always the most innocent and unsuspected people who have the darkest secrets. So maybe... she was serious with Zack... because he was someone he didn't want sex all the time like she was used to... and same for Cloud... not that she'd mind having sex with either one of them, they're both very attractive men, but they didn't care about all that (strictly speaking from what we saw in-game) and so she wanted someone who she could actually depend on for real needs, because sex isn't worth the time and energy (mentally speaking).

This just in from an official SQUARE ENIX book titled DISMANTLED or Kaitai Shinsho

AERITH: "I was a little surprised that this village was Zack's birthplace!

Although called my first love, that doesn't mean that we became particularly intimate. I encountered him by chance as a flower vendor in Midgar. It was good for a little while, so I thought.

A friendly, childish SOLDIER, who gave kindness to girls. I encountered Zack and began to think that even a good natured person was from Shinra.

Therefore, 5 years ago, when Zack departed somewhere on a mission and he seemingly disappeared, I cried considerably. Yeah, I call this first love. Mother got angry at Zack when she saw me like that. That matter made him completely at fault.

At first when I met Cloud, I believed he was similar to Zack. Little actions, the way he spoke... his kindness. But Cloud is Cloud. I, now undoubtedly, love Cloud much more than Zack.

But Cloud is clueless."

So, supposedly to Aerith, they never got intimate or serious.

Play Crisis Core then tell me it wasn't serious. 89 letters is not something that most people would do for someone they haven't seen in the past four years. Then there is Zack who, all the way to the end, had Aerith on his mind. When his DMV went on the fritz the one actual combo that it did get was Aerith's. Those two are meant to be together in my opinion. They are a match made in heaven (literally).

Back