Staff member
Global Moderator
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
Coloured Thread
Chocobo Egg
Shiva Snowflake
Just a small topic for thought today: I've had this conversation before with my brother and I think about it every now & then. While he doesn't limit himself strictly, he does find that he listens to music with female-lead (or feminine) vocals more often that male/masculine, and I myself tend to listen to the opposite. And while I also don't limit myself either (I enjoy quite a few female lead/group vocals) I can just tell I enjoy a more masculine singing voice in general.

So, my question to you is, do you think you have a preference within your taste in music as far as vocals go, or do you think your interests are fairly wide-spread? Maybe you haven't even thought about it before, or it isn't a big factor into your taste in music? Does it help you when you're in search of new music to listen to? Lemme know your thoughts~

Interesting indeed!

I suppose when I was younger it affected what I listened to less, seeing as we still depended a fair bit on TV and radio to pick out our songs for us. Now, with YouTube and Apple Music pretty much in charge of that for me, I definitely listen to a smaller pool of sounds, and with the recommendations based on that maybe my tastes have become a little boxed in of late. I certainly seldom listen to new music, unless if it's from an artist I really like, so there's that too.

I do seem to steer more towards female vocals. Of course, like yourself and your brother, whether or not I enjoy the song isn't dependent on whether or not the vocalist is a man or a woman. If it's good, it's good!

This is a really interesting thread.

After giving it some thought, I don’t think I do have a preference. Sometimes some of the music I listen to has both a male and a female singer and I honestly don’t think I have a subconscious preference. I like a variety in life anyway so the mix is always good for me.

To pick an example of a band which uses a more or less 50/50 split between male and female vocals, I’ll bring up Dead Can Dance. I love Lisa Gerard’s singing and Brendan Perry’s singing in different but equal ways. They both bring something different to the band which really helps to define that band’s unique sound.

For example Rakim. Both sing different parts, which blend together by the end. The two vocal styles complement each other very well.

( YouTube seems to have removed the live footage. I guess understandably for copyright reasons, but it was good to see while it was on there. :sad2: It might not be the best example of what I mean anyway )

I do have a preference, I remember even talking to Adam (Paddy McGee ) about this in the Discord a while back as well.

The majority of music I listen to are male lead singers, I really just can't stand female singers most of the time. It has to be something I'm really into for me to appreciate it properly, much easier with male vocals for me.

Not really sure if there's a reason for it other than I find male voices just "easier" on the ears and more pleasant to listen to. :lew:

i love more female singers. but that doesnt mean, there arent good male singers, too. maybe its so cuz i am straight male, hearing popular music since 80s.

Although Evanescence and The Birthday Massacre are both in my top five favourite bands of all time, every other band and singer on the list is male lead. I have a broad taste in music which spans across a number of decades but the amount of male singers within that long list far out numbers the females. Over the past year I have managed to find other female artists I enjoy listening to, but they tend to either sing in a deeper register and fuller tone (like Indiana), and/or create music that leans towards the electronic genre (like So Below).

I think my reasoning is eerily similar to what Six was saying in her post above about male voices being easier and more pleasant to listen to. I only think it's strange because I reckon we have a very different taste in music but what she said really resonates. I think this might have come about for me personally because both my parents have had a notable influence on my broad taste in music and both seem to heavily gravitate towards male artists. My mother always said she found most female artists to be too shrill - whatever that means - but honestly the only female singer I can remember her listening to is Joan Baez...8(

• Haha
Reactions: Six
Back