Vaan and Ashe... A sad love story???

According to the official website of Final Fantasy XII, Vaan is 17 while Ashe is 19. So Ashe is OLDER than Vaan.

Actually, I don't think age is a problem if the two love each other.
However, I don't see any "love" between the two.

I agree with some of you who said that Ache is more mature than Vaan and that they just don't "fit" each other.

So far, I've heard Ashe x Balthier, Ashe x Basch, and Ashe x Vaan.
Personally, I favor Ashe x Balthier,
but I've also heard rumors of Balthier x Fran......

Vaan and Ashe would have pretty much been the same love story as Zidane and Dagger from IX.

I think Ashe would only get into a romantic relationship for political reasons, if you know what I mean. ;)

I've never even considered VaanxAshe a possibility. From what I saw, Vaan and Penelo seemed to have a thing going for each other, and I couldn't even see Ashe with any of the other characters. Ashe seemed like she wasn't over the death of her husband (I forget what his name is). I didn't really see her have that kind of emotion for any of the other male characters.

I myself see VaanxPenelo, AshexBasch, and BalthierxFran in this game. that's just me though.

I think Ashe is DEFINITELY too mature for Vaan, and seriously, we don't need an Aladdin love thing here. Very rarely would a princess fall for a street rat. Frankly I find Ashe to be a bitch, and Vaan to be annoying as hell lol.
Ashe and Basch have a lot more history together and they just seem to fit better just as Balthier and Fran do. Penelo OBVIOUSLY loves Vaan, but he's too stupid to see it, hopefully he clues in to it in Revenant Wings.

I think the whole Vaan, Ashe and Balthier triangle is very similar to the Luke, Leiah and Solo triangle in Star Wars. Vaan was the inexperienced kid out of the street/desert who falls in love with a princess who is also chased after by the swashbuckling, more experienced hero. Granted, Vaan and Ashe aren't brother and sister, but i doubt any analogy would be perfect. For the record through, Fran and Chewbaca both fit in that they are friend's of the swashbucker and better seen than heard. :)

Well they said that they wernt going to make a love story in the game but i would have to say that ashe-Balthier had a little one in the end.

ashe had no love story with vann nor balthier

in the end she just cared for balthier

vaan just had a crush on ashe at the beggining nothing more

i agree with Aerith, i hate the idea of Vaan and Ashe being together. Just look at how Vaan and Penelo were before he was dragged into the whole mess of the war. Yes Vaan is like an older brother kinda guy but it does hint that he likes penelo. (i think he does anyway)

The game seemed to hint towards a possibility of Vaan and Ashe, what with the visual metaphors of Rasler's ghost fading, with Vaan a standing in his place at Jahara, as well as the shared ability to see his ghost. However, other than that, the mere thought of it sort of fizzles out.

There is no real reason to see them together as a couple, aside from attempting to draw conclusions based on story-telling conventions; and of course, FFXII was big on breaking conventions (that is, at least attempting to).

There is a definite vibe toward Balthier and Ashe having some kind of closer understanding, as well as a feeling that Basch and Ashe's relationship (whatever you'd want to call it) has yet to be resolved. So either of those men would be more likely to end up with her than Vaan.

Vaan X Penelo I can understand that yet a Vaan X Ashe, nope I cannot understand that in the slight, why one could ask...

With Vaan X Penelo you can see the love just vibrating from both, but when it comes Vaan X Ashe.. you have to be staring hard enough with a note book and pen in hand to even notice the love their as its faint and must truley be noticed to recognize, that and Ashe seems to be more comfortable with Balthier... Giggty Giggty Goo

Summary:
Ashe only sees Vaan as a memory of her dead husband and has something going on with Balthier.

Last edited:
I didn't really see romantic chemistry between Vaan and Ashe. I mean, I think he's attracted to her and might have had a crush on her in the beginning really, but that's it. As for Ashe and Balthier?? No no no...Balthier and Fran all the way. There was more chemistry between Balthier and Fran than Balthier and Ashe anyday. I think Ashe would be more likely to end up with Basch.

ashe i think had no love story with balthier nor vaan
she just cared for balthier and vaan had a crush on her

vaan did not have a love story with penelo either they were friends nothing more

so i think there was no love story in the game

I didn't see anything between them, I thought perhaps something may develop but alas, no....
By the end of the game I really couldn't picture them together as a couple either - I just didn't think they were at all suited. Vaan & Penelo maybe......
I was quite dissapointed by the lack of a romance actually.

i agree
vaan and ashe had no love story but has anybody noticed that on the cover of the game their is a review which mentions a love story between vaan and ashe

*clears throat*
Like it's been stated, there was no actual love story in the game... for a change. There might have been a few implications that some of the characters were or could be lovers, but romance played no part in the plot.

I thought Penelo and Vaan were somewhat a couple even if Vaan wasn't fully aware. It seemed to me that the two were just close and very compatible throughout the game, although I had no interest in their relationship to be frank.
If you did the Viera soul-mate side quest, you should remember that the viera mentioned Vaan being already taken. I highly doubt that meant he was taken by Ashe or Fran.. Some of the kids in Rabanastre would also tease Vaan about his relationship with Penelo, and they're his friends. In Revenant Wings, the two were still very close.

Random NPCs occasionally made a reference about Balthier and Fran. (Eg. in the soul-mate side-quest, the lovestruck man mentions that seeing the 'sky pirate' and his viera partner inspired him to fall in love with a viera.) But then again, none of them knew Balthier or Fran; they only jumped to conclusions like a lot of the fans do.

I'm not really sure how people got the idea that Vaan had a crush on Ashe. I didn't see anything like that; in fact, I recall him telling Basch at first that she wasn't the nicest person he met.
As for Ashe seeing Vaan in the form of Rasler's ghost the first time, I think she would have seen it in any character who was standing there that night- it's an illusion from the Occuria. However, Vaan was the hero through which we viewed the events.

If Ashe were to develop a new romantic interest, I personally would prefer to see it with Basch or even Vossler (before he betrayed her), then it would make some sense...

Each of the six main characters cared for the entire group... wouldn't you? They've been traveling together, it's only normal they show a bit of compassion; but it doesn't necessarily mean they're in love. I guess the game kind of arranged them in groups of two- Penelo & Vaan,Ashe & Basch, Balthier & Fran (let's not forget the official art ;)) but romance isn't the only relationship one can develop. Think outside the box.

Of course, there are hardly any facts there. In the world of fiction, everyone is a potential Romeo (especially for you fan-fic writers); every scene is open to speculation. After all, no one could really go interview Ashe and ask if she had feelings for any of her companions. >_>

Playing the game again, I've noticed that at the beginning Baltheir calls Penelo "Your Girl" when talking to Vaan, and he doesn't protest, and Penelo and Vaan are always together, Vaan and Ashe have one moment when they talk one on one nicely - the rest of the time she tells him to shut up. While Ashe and Balthier is more obvious, the way Ashe flipped out at the end when she thought Balthier dead cemented the fact she had feelings for him. That's just my opinion though.

Well, they both may very well be together by a brother/sister relationship??

MOD EDIT

Please put more effort into your post

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, they both may very well be together by a brother/sister relationship??

Uh...what? No. They're not brother or sister, nor do they even have a relationship like that. Ashe was an ungrateful snob and didn't care about anyone in the group, let alone care for Vaan as a brother. I honestly can't even see Ashe being capable of love in the first place, she's just a total bitch in the game. Although I guess she would probably treat people of equal status (like Rasler) better than she would street rats and pirates.

What about Ashe and Vossler...?
There was some sort of feeling between them...

As for the Balthier and Ashe brother and sister theory, Ashe is the Descendant of the Dynast King, Whereas Balthier is a
former Archadian Judge and Dr. Cid's son.

...Ashe and Reddas, maybe? Though it was very, very short...

Last edited:
Back