[V3] Last Movie You've Seen

I watched the entirety of Peter Jackson's The Lords of the Rings trilogy for the first time in over a decade. And I really loved it. I was surprised to find that it hasn't really aged a day (say that in Gandalf's voice if you like). Yes, technology has come a long way since, but it still holds up. One thing I really appreciated in this viewing is the quality of the acting as well. I think it was a brilliantly cast film, and you really do feel the passion that they all have for the film and how important is was to most of the actors involved.

Also Samwise is MVP, obv. The very embodiment of a great friend.

I saw Free Guy last night. Definitely don't sleep on this movie! It was actually fantastic - which, to be honest, completely shocked me. I went in with zero expectations.

Shang-Chi.

Since I haven't been into a cinema since before the pandemic, I missed out on this film when it came out. But now it is on Disney+ so I was able to watch it.

I thought it was a very decent film. Shang-Chi's friend Katy, in particular, was a likeable highlight. They were very funny together and had great chemistry. They were also flawed characters, which is what I like about some of the better MCU characters (the ones that are too perfect are less interesting).

The fight scenes, although OTT, were enjoyable. Shang-Chi had a genuinely intriguing relationship with his father (not really a black-and-white villain, as it turns out, and that works well for it).

My favourite thing though? The excellent use of Trevor from Iron Man 3 (the actor who pretended to be The Mandarin). Marvel really doubled down on his role in that film and sort of improved what was a very controversial plot twist in Iron Man 3. He had some great moments, and now (since Shang-Chi's father turns out to be the real Mandarin in the MCU), some fans of The Mandarin in the comics might feel like the character has been redeemed within the MCU.

The Descent: Part II.

As a follow up for re-watching the Descent, I didn't really care for it to be honest. Who in their right mind takes someone/a victim right back to the area they just got out of? The whole cast was very.... throw-away as well. Quite literally, actually.

They went overboard with the effects and wendigos(?) in the second film and it just lost that "spooky" charm.

Wouldn't recommend it.

Movie: Enola Holmes

Not much really to say, I put it on for background noise after finishing up a series I had been watching earlier & thought it wasn't too bad. I enjoyed it for the most part, but I'm mainly sharing here because I got a little over an hour in before I realized I was watching a movie and not a different Netflix series :tearjoy: I thought that the episode was going long but I was more impressed with how much plot there was going on till I realized it was a whole freaking movie. 💀

Also

Movie: The Adam Project

Basically if you like Ryan Reynolds then you'll probably like this movie, but it also wasn't overwhelmingly awesome or anything. The ending left me wanting a bit more but I enjoyed watching the leads go back and forth with one self through the entire movie. I'd recommend watching it if you need something to watch!

I saw this on Sunday night and was pleasantly surprised by it. Imax 3D is definitely the way to see this film. The extra cost is a big ouch but for a rare end of year treat, Avatar is the film to do that for.

Visually it is spectacular and clear in quality. You really get a good sense of being underwater and in space at times. You can tell they put a lot of effort and time into perfecting motion capture underwater (as in the actors actually filmed their mo-cap underwater rather than just pretend to be underwater and then edit the water in). On that level alone it is worth it. Like a three hour ride.

But the story was also better than the first (in my opinion) and I cared for it much more than I had anticipated. It had a bit more of an emotional heart and was less afraid to take some risks. The kids in particular were quite interesting characters, in my opinion. Overall, for me, it seemed like much more was happening in the sequel. I watched the first film again last week for the first time in over a decade and that probably improved my overall opinion on this sequel as it probably presumes you remember what happened in that film first.

Not gushing and saying it is perfect at all, but considering that I previously couldn't envision a sequel to Avatar being anything other than unnecessary, watching this film has me actually interested in seeing future Avatar films. And that's without being forceful. Genuinely interested.

I recently watched Avatar, the first part. because the second part is already going to the cinema, and I wanted to refresh my memory before watching. I hope part 2 doesn't disappoint either.

I saw this on Sunday night and was pleasantly surprised by it. Imax 3D is definitely the way to see this film. The extra cost is a big ouch but for a rare end of year treat, Avatar is the film to do that for.

Visually it is spectacular and clear in quality. You really get a good sense of being underwater and in space at times. You can tell they put a lot of effort and time into perfecting motion capture underwater (as in the actors actually filmed their mo-cap underwater rather than just pretend to be underwater and then edit the water in). On that level alone it is worth it. Like a three hour ride.

But the story was also better than the first (in my opinion) and I cared for it much more than I had anticipated. It had a bit more of an emotional heart and was less afraid to take some risks. The kids in particular were quite interesting characters, in my opinion. Overall, for me, it seemed like much more was happening in the sequel. I watched the first film again last week for the first time in over a decade and that probably improved my overall opinion on this sequel as it probably presumes you remember what happened in that film first.

Not gushing and saying it is perfect at all, but considering that I previously couldn't envision a sequel to Avatar being anything other than unnecessary, watching this film has me actually interested in seeing future Avatar films. And that's without being forceful. Genuinely interested.
Mostly ditto on this as I saw it last Saturday. I wish I had watched the first movie prior to this mostly because it.. obviously takes place after the first movie and there was a lot of plot reference to the first. I had nearly forgotten in the first one that Miles Quaritch died :tearjoy: until they obviously talked about it. Most of the movie I remembered, and most of the minor things that I forgot they did an okay job at recapping, but I definitely wished I had also watched the first movie before this since it had been so long before that. I think I may try and take some time to watch the first one again here soon even if I don't see the second one again for a while, but if I don't find time soon I may just wait till I can watch them nearly back-to-back.

I said earlier that I didn't think the story was as good as the first (but really it was still good) but I'm okay if my opinion changes if I do watch the first one again. I think the first was visually more stunning through the entire movie, but this one was still gorgeous. The water scenes were very fluid, as were my eyes at certain parts 🐋

Looking forward to the next one, hope it's just as good. I can only imagine how the movie was in IMAX 3D. I watched the first one in 3D back when it first came out as a second date with my now husband & now wish we had splurged a bit more to do so again. Maybe next time!

Also, last night I watched Children of the Sea on Netflix while wrapping presents and... I don't know what I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting this deep... plot? The art style of the characters was very strange to me but it added to the uniqueness of the more strange and complex characters. The craziness at the end was a bit over me though and that's pretty much when I got most of my wrapping done 😂 I'm not sure I would have watched it knowing what I know now, but it's not bad I guess. More of a visual experience imo, but.... yeah I'm not sure. I wouldn't watch it again, but it wasn't terrible. 3 Miko Points out of 5.[/ispoiler]

Avatar way of water (or whatever its called)

I had zero expectations for this tbh when i went to watch it, i thought the first one, whilst visually gorgeous was really boring. I was expecting more of the same for this one tbh and wasnt looking forward to sitting for over 3 hours
Im not sure if it was going in with zero expections but i actually really enjoyed it, would i watch it again? Probably not bc its too long lol

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3

These films are always a mixture of light (often silly) humour and heartfelt, relationship-driven moments. But this film definitely dials the 'feels' aspect up to eleven. And it felt earned rather than forced.

Honestly, all of Rocket's flashbacks were heartbreaking. Those poor innocent animals. Lylla's death (and Rocket's reaction) was hard enough, but then seeing Teefs and his upturned wheelchair and Floor dead on the floor was devastating. Very well done. And some satisfying pay-offs at the end.

The whole of the Guardians team (and their friends) all had a chance to shine too.

I love these guys.

Back