Um.. Explain?

Big Boss

Punished Snake
Veteran
Gil
What exactly is RPing? I love RPGs, but I just never got into RPing, probably because I don't really know what it is, or how to do it, or whatever... Can someone please explain to me, so hopefully, I'd be able to join :) ?

And of course, move this thread to where it belongs, because Im sure this isnt the right place.

In short, text role-playing is like compiling a story/book with the help of others. Each person creates a particular character (mine is a bounty hunter who sees ghosts, for example) and only posts the story from his or her point of view. That person decides how his or her character acts, thinks, speaks, fights, etc. They play out the role of their character, hence the reason it's called a role-play.

Hope that wraps it up in a nutshell for ya. :)

I made an awesome character... I just have no clue how to start combat in RP.
1cookiemonster.gif

I. Really. Suck.

well combat is pretty easy with 2 players whom i'll name A and B for ease of reference this bio assumes both fighters are identical and carry a sword and shield.
I'll do them in "bad" "okay i guess" and "RP Guru"

BAD
player a)
*blocks swing with shield and stabs at B)*
B)
*blocks stab and swings at A)*

You'll notice they dont acuratly describe what there doing and just use the standard internet tag for an action. also they dont get "in character" and just describe what happens from a third person stand point. Also you must have noted that they are obly doing the obvious, sword is for slahing or stabbing shield is there to make sure that doesnt happen to you first.

GOOD:
A)
Anius (or some other name this one i wanted to start with an A) to keep it easier to tell them apart) blocked the wild swing of his opponent and using an opening that swing had left as his enemy over extended made a quick lunge for his opponents midriff.
B)
Bena was quite vexxed with his swing was blocked by the swing of his opponent, but didnt have time to dwell on it for long before he had to jump backwards a few feet to dodge a lunge that would have cut him open like a pig.

YOu'll notice this involves, A) and B) with named characters, some basic emotions and more detail, also they put some more thought into the actions of there characters, and while A) was borderline godmodding when he said he saw an opening in the defence of B) that would (atleast by me) have been allowed because when you are attacking it IS harder to keep your gaurd up.
Improvisation is slightly better becuase B) now jumps back instead of just blocking with his shield.

"RP Guru"

Anius had been dancing with death this whole fight, it seemed as if the 2 men were brothers so close were there abilities matched, they had been going for a good half an hour now and while he had cuts and bruises from small knicks when he hadnt been able to close his defence fast enough so did his opponent, and he reconed it wasnt much longer until bloodloss would make it impossible for one of the two men to fight effectivly. Quickly blocking a swing aimed at his right neck he used the opening to step into his opponents gaurd and launch a quick lunge at his opponent's midriff, he only had to keep up longer then his opponent did and then he'd be fine.
B)
His opponent was good, infact they were so close in pure ability that they could have been brothers training under the same master, Bena thought he saw an opening and launched into a quick chop at his opponents neck he suddenly noticed how heavy his arms felt, he would need to finish this fight quickly before bloodloss and fatigue would do it for him, luckily he and bis opponents sported simular wounds and as such he would be having the same problems right about now, the fatigue and bloodloss had made his swing slow enough to be blocked he suddenly noticed how increadbly over extended that made him and when he was trying to correct his his opponent seemed to have noticed too and quickly stepped into his gaurd and stabbed at his gut, and while he was quick enough to avioid serious damage with a quick jump back he did get hit with the tip of the blade which would be long to heal. He realised an impossible situation when he saw one and quickly dropped his sword.

Okay this is where things get interesting both players using there brains and not just there brawn, also, in this example both players had gotten some nichs and bruises during the fight because lets be honest here its hard to fight with true steel and not get hit atleast a little also the players are actually crawling in to the heads of their characters and looking out through there eyes, also the writing stile is a bit different with more emphasis on it beeing realistic and roleplaying your character right then just pure game effects, for example the whole bloodloss and fatigue issues.

Normally ofcourse you'd get that whole stuff spellchecked and grammar corrected and you'd use more paragraphs but i just wanted to make a small example and this is written on my lunchbreak so i cant really keep going to long or my boss'd get mad... speaking of which I gotta run!

Good examples, Fire frenzy. To clarify what you couldn't due to lack of time, quality writing really shouldn't contain run-on sentances like those found in the (uncorrected) final examples. Regardless of how clever and interesting your battle may be, if you're not seperating long chunks of words with perriods, it gets convoluted.

Also, contrary to popular belief, a long post does not always make a higher quality post. Sometimes, it may even be BETTER to write less. In conversations as well as fights, it's about give and take. So, if a person asks you a question with a biconditional response, you shouldn't suddenly go off on a monologue (unless it's appropriate to the character). Likewise, if someone attacks you with an ability that doesn't leave them open, you shouldn't always end your defense with a counterattack.

Back