Staff member
Global Moderator
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
Coloured Thread
Chocobo Egg
Shiva Snowflake
Been playing a bit of TT lately and trying to find a few games with the rules I enjoy most, which got me wondering if some of you guys ever got a choice in choosing which rules to play by, which ones and/or combinations of them do you prefer? And perhaps what is your least favorite? Is there certain ones that really throw your game off, or are you a confident veteran TT player and adapt to any of the rules you're played?

I chose FFVIII for section since TT's origins stem from it but feel free to chime in any extra info/preferences for FFXIV

None of them. The less of them there are in a game, the better. The only thing to me that makes the special rules likeable is the variety. Outside of the need for variety, we're better off without them.

To be fair though, I was never a card completionist in FF8. As long as I get the key character cards like Squall and Rinoa, and most of the GF cards, I'm happy.

I mostly do it for the sake of the Gilgamesh card because Holy War turns you into a god.

I really love Triple Triad and believe it was one of the best side games created by SE!

My favourite rule is Plus by far since it has the potential of rendering even the lowest rated cards into being a winning hand! It's also a really challenging rule that can create a game of moves and counter moves which I enjoy a lot.

On the other hand, I'm not too fond of Random. Simply put....it's too random and feels like the computer is setting you up to fail. And the chances of losing a valuable card because it was in a hand of Bite Bugs and Fungars is too common for comfort.

In general I manipulate the crap out of the regional rules to try spread Plus and Open as much as possible and squash out Random and Elemental to keep the game as much in my favour as possible. In my defense though, I think Plus and Open are more balanced and less 'Luck of the Draw' oriented rules - so I'm only being a philanthropist really 😇

None of them. The less of them there are in a game, the better.
I echo this 100%! The standard game as it is is totally fine, the problem begins when you want to play against people later in the game to get new cards and then their Region Rules suddenly spread - I often reset the game as i hate them that much. Rules like Losing all your deck in one game is absolute BS!

I have done the Queen of Cards quests but it is very frustrating. Still, it's certainly one of FF's best mini-games.

I LOVE Triple Triad but in FF8, the rule I enjoy most is the default. I would refuse to play if it were winner takes all matching colours because i would then lose more than 1 card.

My favourite rule is Plus by far since it has the potential of rendering even the lowest rated cards into being a winning hand! It's also a really challenging rule that can create a game of moves and counter moves which I enjoy a lot.
I echo this, including your bit on the Random rule :lew: There's something very satisfying about flipping some high-level cards with your dinky one because the Plus rule applies, and Plus of course being the saving grace of the Random rule.

Though I will say the Same rule is also aligned with my favorite, so I'll take either Plus or Same. Open, of course, is always useful in Same & Plus.

Love Triple Triad, I used to have it on my phone for a bit just to pass time when I was waiting or something, I should put it back on if it's still up!

I have not played this game in so long, so I don't really have a reliable memory about the different rules of the game. All I can remember is that when I was younger I was easily confused about which rules I was playing. I'd want to play it one way but would have to play it another, and it was irritating.

I appreciate the fact that they did design multiple rules though. Just like some card games in real life (particularly, you know, the cards which have hundreds of games attached to them). It makes sense that there would be local variants on the game, and that some ideas would catch on and spread from place to place. That's a brilliant idea for world-building, but it can be a pain for the player unless they are really into hardcore card games.

I'd probably appreciate the rule changes more if I was to replay the game now. That said, I haven't played much of Triple Triad in FFXIV either yet. In both games I've always been too invested in the plot to play cards for too long, or there's always been something else to do.

Back