Anime Too much fan service?

Rydia

Throwing rocks at emo kids
Veteran
Gil
Is it just me, or is there more fan service than ever in anime? I usually don't mind fan service and can often find it funny, but lately I feel like I've been bombarded with it. And usually the titles aren't ecchi titles. And I find that it can really ruin the tone of an anime.

The best example I can think of is High School of the Dead. I see a girl being dragged away and eaten and her panties are visible. I found my self laughing at the inappropriateness of the moment rather than being horrified that some girl was being eaten. Another moment that could have been very intense was ruined by the infamous matrix boobs. Yeah it was kind of funny, but I never felt that I had to worry about the characters. I really felt that if they had worked on the story and characters that this could have been an awesome anime. Couldn't they have just given us a rated X sex scene instead?

I do think fan service can work and I really don't mind it in an ecchi title.

I came across this video on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...ure=iv&src_vid=M8JqlANoz5g&v=5xTKO4EhapQ#t=5m

For ecchi anime its okay but ecchi animes are almost the only things we've been getting lately, it's annoying. I never liked fanservice because its mostly out of place and pointless and I don't mean the fanservice where a girl is just naked in whatever place she is, I mean the fanservice where a girl gets her clothes ripped off for some stupid reason that shit pisses me off. I really want a good storylines. :(

I agree, it can be distracting and over the top sometimes. While I enjoyed HSOTD, I could have done without the "Jiggle Factor".

The best example I can think of is High School of the Dead. I see a girl being dragged away and eaten and her panties are visible. I found my self laughing at the inappropriateness of the moment rather than being horrified that some girl was being eaten. Another moment that could have been very intense was ruined by the infamous matrix boobs. Yeah it was kind of funny, but I never felt that I had to worry about the characters. I really felt that if they had worked on the story and characters that this could have been an awesome anime. Couldn't they have just given us a rated X sex scene instead?

I agree, it can be distracting and over the top sometimes. While I enjoyed HSOTD, I could have done without the "Jiggle Factor".

On High School of the Dead in particular, I loved it... but the fanservice was too much. I think episodes 6 and 7, or maybe it was 7 and 8, had a large chunk of the episode focusing on the girls showering and then wearing really skimpy clothes while they were at the nurse's friend's house. I didn't even mind the occasional panty shot or boobs jiggling, but I found those two episodes completely out of place and it nearly killed the anime for me.

I don't watch a lot of other anime, and when I do, it's things like Mirai Nikki/Future Diary or Umineko, so there's a good deal less fanservice in those. Mirai Nikki had a little bit, though.

Overall I think a little bit is okay, but full episodes or several minutes dedicated to it is far too much.

On High School of the Dead in particular, I loved it... but the fanservice was too much. I think episodes 6 and 7, or maybe it was 7 and 8, had a large chunk of the episode focusing on the girls showering and then wearing really skimpy clothes while they were at the nurse's friend's house. I didn't even mind the occasional panty shot or boobs jiggling, but I found those two episodes completely out of place and it nearly killed the anime for me.

I don't watch a lot of other anime, and when I do, it's things like Mirai Nikki/Future Diary or Umineko, so there's a good deal less fanservice in those. Mirai Nikki had a little bit, though.

Overall I think a little bit is okay, but full episodes or several minutes dedicated to it is far too much.

Yeah I also really liked High School of the Dead. The bath episode was just... weird and pointless. Why in that situation would you worry about getting a bath? Yeah to get zombie guts off of you, but why take that long?

I also wanted to show my friends who are not into anime but do like zombie stories, the show. But I just feel awkward doing so mainly because we are all in our mid twenties and the characters are high school students.

Back