The Old Kingdom Trilogy

Jack's Smirking Revenge

i am the one who knocks
Veteran
Gil
This is a trilogy (duh) of books written by Australian author Garth Nix. The three books are; Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen. This is an quick summary of each book;
Sabriel
Sabriel is the daughter of a powerful necromancer, known as Abhorsen. She lives in the kingdom of Ancelstierre, a post-war like kingdom. Here, magic is a thing of myth and everything is safe. North of Anceslstierre is the Old Kingdom. Here, magic rules, technology is redundant and the dead don't stay dead. It is Abhorsen's job to ensure that they do. When Sabriel receives a package from her father, containing the necromancers bells for binding/ raising dead creatures, she must return to her homeland to get to the bottom of the problem. She doesn't know though that a greater evil is at work there, luring her there to finish the line of the Abhorsen forever. She overcomes this evil however, and inherits the title of Abhorsen, and Queen of the Old Kingdom
Lirael
Lirael is a Clayr (future-seer). Or at least she wants to be. By now, the gift of seeing the future should have awoken in her, but it has not. However, the other Clayr see a future for her away from the Glacier in which they live - at the Red Lake with a man called Nicholas, who is unearthing the greatest evil in the universe. She sets off with her mysterious companion, the Disreputable Dog to her murky future with no more knowledge than that she will be at the Red Lake. On her travels, she meets the prince of the Old Kingdom, Prince Sameth. He is Nicholas' best friend, and they both attended school together in Ancelstierre. He is also the Abhorsen-in-waiting. However, after a long and arduous journey in which they come up against a powerful necromancer, it emerges that Lirael is the true Abhorsen-in-waiting as she shares a father with Sabriel
Abhorsen
The situation at the Red Lake is worseneing. Both the Abhorsen and the King are south of The Wall, in Ancelstierre and the great evil is close to being dug up. After Lirael and Sam arrive at the Red Lake, it is dug up, but is encased in two hemisheres. These are taken into Ancelstierre where they will be joined. The responsibility falls to Lirael to stop the Destroyer being freed
So has anyone read these? I was actually surprised at how good they were. The charcters are all written very well, and when
Colonel Horyse dies in Sabriel, I truly was gutted

I have a Mr Monday by Garth Nix. I think its him anyhoo. Ive not read much into it, but Ive seen his books round Waterstones. If I werent already reading 6 books, Id have a peek!

The Old Kingdom series is very good. Great descriptive writing, well made characters and well thought out story.
Pooley, have you read the Keys to the Kingdom, the other series written by Garth Nix. Lady Friday, the fifth book in the series, was released at the beginning of the month, and while I have not yet read it, the rest of these of the series is just as good as the Old Kingdom.

I really liked the old kingdom series. I got really hooked with Sabriel and Lirael but i found that Abhorsen let the first two down somewhat.

The Old Kingdom series is very good. Great descriptive writing, well made characters and well thought out story.
Pooley, have you read the Keys to the Kingdom, the other series written by Garth Nix. Lady Friday, the fifth book in the series, was released at the beginning of the month, and while I have not yet read it, the rest of these of the series is just as good as the Old Kingdom.
No I haven't read it yet. I'm planning on reading them, I just don't know when xD

I absolutely loved Abhorsen. The ending was really suspensful, even if slightly cheesy and convenient :P I thought that at times, Lirael felt a bit dragged out though

I thought that Abhorsen was the best in the series. For me it didn't let the series down at all, it brought it to a close with an even better book than the two that came before it.

ive read the last 2 - and 1/4 of Sabriel - ill get back to it one day :lol:

i havnt read them for at least a year though but i was really sad when
Dog and Mogget died
at Least i think they were the names - Bah i wanna read them all again now XD

ive read the last 2 - and 1/4 of Sabriel - ill get back to it one day :lol:

i havnt read them for at least a year though but i was really sad when
Dog and Mogget died
at Least i think they were the names - Bah i wanna read them all again now XD

They didn't die- at least
Mogget didn't

Back