[SOTW] Information & Discussion (old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Standard win this week. Congratulations, Galadin.

Completely slipped my mind, have a stick note to get an entry in now, too. Hectic week on my end, sorry guys!

Heads up, SOTW 114 is re-scheduled to Sunday. I don't have the time on Saturday. Extra day for those planning to enter. =]

@Galadín, @Stray Arrows, @Mitsuki, @Expendable

Some of the guidelines you guys have requested have been put up. I hope this is going to be a creative month for everyone when it comes to SOTW and I'm looking forward to seeing your entries.

SOTW 114 will go up tomorrow as mentioned in my previous post, but we can get started on the new guidelines for March. Good luck everyone.

It was pointed out that there were some errors in the SOTW Leaderboard - those have been fixed. All social media is up to date. Again, if anyone notices any errors feel free to contact me.

Two questions regarding this month's themes. Firstly, is the link for SoTW #118 supposed to link to a render at this time?

net9wj.jpg

And secondly, why would animation and transparency be allowed for the design of a CD case? Be it album art or a CD cover, these graphics traditionally never use animation or transparency.

It was supposed to have a link to a render, thanks for pointing that out. Fixed.

Also, free-reign on CD cases due to that if people want to add an "envelope CD pop-out" effect, which involves transparency, they can.

An example (if people want to do it without the background): http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/060/b/1/kawsone__s_cd_case_by_emey87-d2fh6xr.png Would make it so that transparency is required.

I left animation in because if people do want to get creative even though "actual cases don't have that" they can. Perhaps animated to show the backside of the CD if they care to create that too. Like I said leaving it open as much as possible. Personal I don't think of "tradition" when it comes to creativity. =]

Hope that clears some things up.

Thanks for clearing that up. I misunderstood about the CD case and assumed you meant for just the cover to be used in the design, rather than the packaging also allowed to be displayed.

No worries. Perhaps this gives more insight for the others as well. =]

! SOTW Hall of Fame has been archived and will no longer been used. To view the SOTW Winners History check out the neat little button in the navigation bar or in the first post of this thread, or... Click here.

The max dimensions for the CD case (700x700) looks to be rather large. I checked it out today and I'm pretty sure that an entry of that size will be automatically resized for the browser windows, no? Since people will be pretty much designing this one very differently from each other, is it allowed to display more than one side of the case (without the use of animation) on the 700x700 canvas? If not, perhaps the max height dimension could be adjusted for ease of display, particularly since a CD case is longer than it is high?

The maximum sizes are set at 700x700, so anywhere in between that (whatever you're comfortable with) is allowed.

And yes, you can display both back and front side on one canvas without animation, as long as it is within the 700 pixel range. Leaving the rules as they are for this one due to people already having made entries, just to keep it fair.

Remember: Doing the backside is optional.

Six

For SoTW #117 , do you want us to submit both old and revamped signatures as one image or as two separate ones?

Two separate ones works fine. Galadín

We had a standard win this week due to only having one entrant. Make sure to check out next week's guidelines and submit your entries on time. =]

Another standard win, hopefully next week there will be a few more entries! :D

Alright, sorry, guys.

Had a bit of a hectic day yesterday, so the new guidelines will be posted shortly. Thanks for the patience!

Just double checking, are the minimum dimensions for SoTW #120 supposed to be 100x100 instead of the 100x00 specified in the guidelines thread?

Yup, typo. 100x100.

Attention: SOTW Incentive April 20th-May 31st!

Every newly registered member joining Signature of the Week (SOTW) gets 100 Gil! You are welcome to invite your friends and spread the word!

For more information and/or questions ask them here or send me a PM!

I've got some suggestions you may like:

- Pretty pink (cute images and pink focus)
- Horror theme
- Animals

If I think of more, I'll post again :D

Thanks, lady. I can definitely throw those themes in.

If anyone else would like to see something specific fly by, leave your suggestions here!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back