Remastered Rant

Yeah, FFVIII remaster seems rather undedicated or committed to - as if they went for an easy sell. I wonder whether the random students who've gotten cosmetic surgery (compared to their blurry classmates) were 3D renders while the rest were modeled into the background itself. Who knows; I'll end up picking up on Switch at some point in time - simply because I'd want some FFVIII fun during a trip.

On the other hand; how much of this is the game simply being played on too high a resolution? There's only so far you can push an original design with scaling and such - and even in that article itself, the writer admits that it looks much, much better at 720p.Hell, the Switch can't even output past 720 to its screen in handheld mode.

Anyway, here's a nice list of differences: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VIII_version_differences

EDIT: And to bring back on topic: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_X_version_differences

"The English version of "I'm gonna be a blitzball when I grow up!" said by the child in Kilika Port isn't a translation error. The error originates in the original Japanese version on the PlayStation 2. The error is corrected in the Japanese release of HD Remaster, while in English the phrase is not corrected. "

Simply beautiful.

I'm honestly gobsmacked from the reception of the Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster, I consider them to be great examples of how to preserve a near 20 year old game to modern standards - The Xbox One Version being in Full 4K! That alone shouldn't be understated!

Now I can understand some of the crit' if you looking ta the PS3 release, horrible loading times and that god awful Remastered soundtrack - Listen to the Remastered version of Tidus' Theme, it sounds completely off key! But I feel the PS4 release fixed both of these issues!

I also think they did a great job updating the menus and interface, the main menu (When you press Triangle in-game) looked very gaudy in the OG. As for the character models, I admit I do prefer the OG PS2 versions of Tidus & Yuna, but it is a very small compromise for a version with 4K - I prefer it to the flat hair they've given Squall in VIII's Remaster.

Another bonus this collection gives is X-2's Last Mission, while I don't like rogue games I still appreciate that it was translated with Voice Acting and actually accessible for the 1st time ever! I can't speak so fondly of the Audio Drama set after X-2.... :P

I've hated on the S-E Ports of VII, VIII & IX of recent but I genuinely feel they got X right! If the PS5 ever gathers tech like the Xbox and manages to Upscale the original PS2 version, yeah I'd play that version but I can't recommend the Remasters enough.

Last edited:
Back