Remakes & Spinoffs

I'm generally very much for spin-offs, especially games which I really like. How do I put it... I'm the type of guy who really wants more and more, sometimes it gets really sad when your favourite game is going to end for good. So I'm always happy when there're spin-offs, sequels, prequels and all that sort.

But that said, I do think it gets ridiculous how many spin-offs SE is making for VII. It's a great game and I absolutely love Crisis Core, but IMO it got a bit too much. I thought having the movie and CC would be just nice.

Remakes are good though, especially the earlier games. It serves as an introduction for new gamers who didn't play any FF games before. It'd be really awesome if we've a VII remake.

I'm generally very much for spin-offs, especially games which I really like. How do I put it... I'm the type of guy who really wants more and more, sometimes it gets really sad when your favourite game is going to end for good. So I'm always happy when there're spin-offs, sequels, prequels and all that sort.

I couldn't say it better, SE needs to add more remakes and spinoffs so that I have something to do while waiting for the next game in the series.

Some games are worth it maybe, but there are some that should just be left to rest. I mean my biggest complaint against them is that Squenix is spending more time producing these old remakes and relating spin-offs, instead of stunning us with a brand new epic game for us to enjoy for ages.

Honestly...

They Should Remake All The 2d Final Fantasy Games Into 3d..

Then Make Final Fantasy I - IX (Including FFtactics) A Collection And Release It On PS2..

By Doing That, Every Game Before Final Fantasy XIII Will Hold Everyone Down For A While..

Between FFXIII And FFXX They Gonna Have To Try Alot Of New Things, And Also Revisit Classic Ideas.

I Couldn't Imagine A Final Fantasy XXI - SO They Need To Get Everything Settled Before 20..
There's no way they could remake 6 games within a few years. That might take a decade or maybe even two.

It would be amazing though.

I am a huge hopeful for a FFVII remake. Or maybe a remake of more. It would just take a very long time. But think about the profit! I know if Square Enix released it for the PS3 as an exclusive, I would probably spend all that money to get a PS3, just to play the remake. I know it would take a long time, and a lot of manpower to assemble everyone, but man they would make bank. It would be like stealing candy from a baby, since they already have the game made, they just need to update and fix things.

For the first time I would like them to Hear us, the fans, and what were our opinions about possible remakes and what should be added/removed, not just do after all we fans are the ones who make them rich.

That and translate more games, because the best Square Enix games only are release in JP, FFXII International Zodiac Job System, KH FM, KH2 FM+ and a few more.

However I'm up for any Classic FF being remade in PS3/Xbox or PS2 at least. I would like especially FFV, FFVI, FFVII and FFIX.

i agree i really do think its time for enix to listen to what ppl want the japanese games that stay in japan should really make an international and european appearance so the global fans not just japanese can have a taste... FFVII was awesome and the PS3 teaser trailer really was a tease... ENIX knows thats what the fans want so instead of joking around and looking for new ideas why not just simply remake (or not even a remake? just another carry on from the early ff games in high def?) one of the proven best games ever made in the world???

• Advent Children
    I say it goes with the storyline of FFVII because it lines up the past with the future, by that I mean "Before Crisis - Crisis Core - FFVII - Advent Children - Dirge of Cerberus". The storyline of VII is well laid out and goes good with the story.
(And I agree with what Cloud Reaper said.)

I remember the President of SE saying that remakes are low cost and high profit/outcome...or something along those lines. But I agree with him, because they're only remakes for the DS they can afford for it not to be successful, however, with the DS being as popular as it is, especially in Japan, it means if the remakes are a hit they get a lot of profit.

All being said, as much as I'd prefer new games I don't mind remakes, it gives us the chance to go back and get a feel of what the old Final Fantasy games were like, like FFI/FFII which I enjoyed, although some didn't. :awesome:

On the matter of whether Square is ruining the final fantasy franchise into the ground with their lousy spin-offs is controversial. Like ying and yang the spin offs attract a certain audience and new players to the company whilst the fans of the game series are hugely disappointed in the fact that the spin-offs are no where near as good as the original title. I may be new to the Final Fantasy Series but once I beat VII, I looked into the movie and spin off games and to be quite honest it was not what I expected. Point being though I believe like many companies Square is trying to keep up the legacy and attract that different type of player to the franchise so in a way the Final Fantasy name will stay alive.

When remakes come to mind to be honest I wouldn't mind seeing FFVII on the PS3 ^_^

Last edited:
My thoughts.

Spinoffs: I generally am for them. I like the idea of each Final Fantasy world being its own universe. We only glimpse that universe through the numbered games. If other games come in, do some things differently gameplay wise, and add to our understanding of the world and the characters that inhabit it, I think that is terrific. Now there may be problems with execution, (and I have heard as much of Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core) and it is ok to gripe with that. But for me, the premise of a spinoff is a-ok.

Remakes: I am less sure of this. I am all for remakes if they showcase the director's true vision of the game; a sort of "director's cut." However, if all that is being done is spiffing up some of the graphics, and adding bonus dungeons, I think the whole point of a remake is defeated. To me, the purpose of a remake is to enhance the artistry and substance of the story, in ways that were impossible when it was first told.

I think spinoffs are nice. I actually very like FFTA and some other spinoffs.
So for me they are parts of the FF series just like any other FF.
As for remakes... I prefer to avoid them.

At first I thought it will be better to play a remake of a game over the old one.
But after actually trying it, I have changed my mind.

I have played FFI remake for the GBA. It was quite easy to level up and the battles were easy as well. On the other hand, it had a big world map and at some point I got stuck and didn't know where to go. The I gave up on it.

The original FFI (on the NES) was much better. I actually had to train a lot before I was able to reach the end of any dungeon. I really felt that "my party is becoming stronger". The world map was smaller (and yet wasn't too small), and it was easier to figure out where to go. I think the game's length was perfect, so I don't see any reason to add new maps.

So I believe I'll never again play any other FF remake.

Last edited:
Remakes are great as long as you only improve graphics, and are making a game that is basically unavailable now without pirating available.

Spin offs are, or rather should be great if they would put the time into them that they deserve as a real game. If they made the spin offs the same quality as the games they deemed spin off worthy, and with great attention to detail then I really doubt anyone could argue against their awesomeness.

i dont enjoy the whole spin off thing either as for remakes ff origins for the psone is pretty well done , compared to ff anthology

Yeah. Dislike spin-offs because what it did to VII. Believe that they have ruined the original game so much, by changing character and major storyline twists. ( Ie- Cloud grabbing Sephiroth's sword and twisting him into the lifestream. In last Order they ruin Cloud's heroic moment by changing Sephiroth leaping into the lifestream himself, grhh )

It's changes into the storyline that makes the spin-off changes frustrating and annoying.

Remakes don't mind at all. If gives everybody a chance to replay the game in better graphics and those who missed out playing the game first time around, another chance to play the game. A dream come true ^_^

I don't like any kind of spinoffs/remakes/crossovers. The bad part about them is that the fact that it is a crossover is one of its main selling points. Take MK vs DC for example. Very low character selection. Short story mode. Very little blood and gore compared to previous MKs. The only major selling point was the fact that you can play as DC characters. Whoopdiedo. That's what the create-a-fighters are for.

It felt like I got kicked in the gut when I found out Auron was in KH2.

Both remakes and spinoffs are fine with me. Whether or not I'll buy them depends on the individual game. :)

I love the spinoffs purely because it gives me something to do in between waiting for new numbered games. I don't go into them expecting the quality of the main games although I enjoyed both PS2 Kingdom Hearts games as much as I've enjoyed any FF game.

Remakes are fantastic simply because it gives me a chance to play the earlier games without having to search around for 20 year old consoles and games.

I really enjoy most of the FF spinoffs made. I find they fun and interesting and give a perspective of the FF world you don't normally see. Also, the games are a chance to experiment with different battle systems and graphic styles.

I believe that remakes are alright, as long as they stay faithful to the original, without too many major changes. One of the main reasons I think remakes are okay is that they allow me to play the game on a modern console or handheld, instead of searching for old cartridges ir emulating on a pc.

For me, the game that strengthens the FF series would be, FFX-2 while FFVII:DoC makes it worst but the story of the FFVII:DoC is quite nice.

Back