Nintendo Pokemon - Mega Evolutions

Moogles

Tauros and Probopass <3
Veteran
Gil
Opinions on the newly introduced Mega Evolution in Pokemon X and Y? Personally, I don't like 'em. I find it bothersome that only a select few have the ability to Mega Evolve. I'd also like to see SOME sort of drawback for using it in battle. Even if it meant sacrificing a turn in order to evolve.

...the name is lame too. There. It's out there. Mega Evolution? That's the best they could come up with at Pokemon HQ?

Opinions on the newly introduced Mega Evolution in Pokemon X and Y? Personally, I don't like 'em. I find it bothersome that only a select few have the ability to Mega Evolve. I'd also like to see SOME sort of drawback for using it in battle. Even if it meant sacrificing a turn in order to evolve.

...the name is lame too. There. It's out there. Mega Evolution? That's the best they could come up with at Pokemon HQ?

​Mega Evolution is a neat concept and yea I agree with it having to take a turn before you can attack at least that helps balance it. I just wished they did mostly Mega Evolution's for more of the first gen Pokemon, start with them and move to other gens because I would think a mega evolved Dragonite would be awesome! And I also agree with the name its a bit cliche ain't it but what would they call it though?

Personally i Don't think they should have brought in the Mega Evolutions, Its added another dynamic that pokemon didn't need, the fact that they Evolve for the fight and then Devolve after is Something that Digimon used to do. There should have been some drawback to doing it like you guys say, Loosing a turn is a good idea, another good one they could have used would be to use up the item it takes to mega-Evolve, Because it would stop people using the Mega-Evolution all the time. It's just something i feel that Pokemon didn't need to do i feel, Some say they did it to Freshen it up and add something for the younger people who have only just got into pokemon, but for those of us who watched Ash get Pikachu and watched the original Series dont need anything to keep us interested.

My opinion of mega evolution has changed slightly. Maybe that's due to the fact that even more pokemon can now mega evolve with the recent release of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Or maybe it's because I freaking LOVE Mega Swampert. I dunno. Whatever the reason, I've come to like mega evolution. I still think there should be some cost to using it; however, I did discover that only a single mega evolution can be performed per battle.

So if you have a team of 6 pokemon where each pokemon can mega evolve, you have to choose wisely and select only one to mega evolve. I didn't realize that earlier. I thought you could spam mega evolution to your heart's content.

Oh. Mega Slowbro SUCKS. Awful design.

Whilst I like the concept of Megas, they completely ruined the meta for me. That, and the introduction of the fairy type. Thanks to both together, I can no longer use some of my favourite Pokémon competitively, mainly because I liked a lot of Dark and Fighting types (once ran a mono-dark team). And that damn Slyvereon. Walls me every time. Arghhh.

But I'm getting sidetracked here. I jumped into the six gen with the remakes, so I rather like the 'newer' Megas compared to those that came out with x/y. Mega Beedrill though? What's the point of it?

I haven't used every Mega yet (hell, I've barely begun to use a lot of Pokémon in this generation for competitive battling), but the ones I really like are Mega Glalie and Mega Lopunny. Mega Glalie hits like a damn tank with STAB Double-Edge + Refrigerator, and Mega Lopunny decks all the right 'mons. Megas that I'm fearful of are Mega Salamence and Mega Kangaskhan, and of course Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon. Mega Rayquaza, whilst it can be a beast in the right hands, I've had no problems in dealing with.

Mega Rayquaza is completely OP, in my opinion. With delta stream, it's ridiculously difficult to land effective attacks against it unless you've planned in advance specifically to deal with it. Mega Gengar has given me problems in competitive play as well.

Haha Mega Beedrill. It has nice ATK and SPD stats, but suffers from a mediocre move pool and absurdly bad defensive stats. Adaptability is nice though.

I haven't used all the megas either, but in terms of competitive play, Venusaur has been a favorite of mine. With thick fat, it can serve as an excellent tank. I also really like Mega Aggron. Pure steel type with filter. Pretty scary.

I hear that. I used to run a Mega Aggron on Showdown. Haven't used it in-game yet. Stealth Rock can get the drop on Mega Rayquaza early on which is vital. Of course if your foe for some reason decides to spam Dragon Ascent, well, the writing is on the wall for the poor dear.

Honestly, I'm more afraid of Mega Salamence than Rayquaza, purely for the same reasons as Mega Glalie; Aerialite. Now, I know that Mega Pinsir has this infernal ability too, but on a psuedo-mon like Salamance, if one turn was spent Dragon Dance'ing, well...you've got a legit nightmare on your hands. I'd invest in a fairy type, purely to deal with dragon Megas, as much as it kills me to admit.

Back