Phils Game/Pop Music Similarities #200 - Look Back On Occasion

PhilsPhindings

Gil
Featuring Final Fantasy VIII and japanese dance pop.

Greetings fellow game music lovers,

another fall, another Final Fantasy series. We start with the eight entry of the series this time which was released in Japan in 1999 and from that one with one of the more notorious songs: "Never Look Back" which is a "we are in a hurry song", the kind that usually appears once a game.

The song plays early in the game during the attack on Dollet ( or rather, the retreat from Dollet ) when you are chased by the X-ATM092 (Think: Huge, scary mechanical spider):

Comparable beats occasionally pop up in latin flavored japanese dance pop. Some examples:

Miki Fujimura - "Yōsei-den / Dynasty" (1983):

Haruomi Hosono / F.O.E. - "Ott Manifest (Ott Mix)" (1985):

And with the rhythm a little off:

Hanadensha - "Future Deadlock" (1989):

But we're just getting started! Until next week!

Phil out.

I can hear a similar melody in the first one, but the second two match the tone/style more closely. Mix them together, and you essentially have something very similar to the track from Final Fantasy VIII!

The X-ATM092 chase certainly felt very tense when I was a kid, and this music certainly helped with the intensity of that. A very, very memorable moment, to be sure. I guess giant robot spiders were already in vogue with Ghost in the Shell, but not long afterwards the American film Wild Wild West would also include mechanical spiders of this ilk.

Back