Member Feedback Requested

Six

𝗦𝗼𝗹𝗶𝘁𝘂𝗱𝗲 *★.• ·
Staff member
Admin Support
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
Hey guys, our staff team has been discussing some things lately and we'd like your opinion on a couple of things.

Round 1:

1. Would it motivate you to be more active if username changes were free of charge?

2. Do you feel motivated to earn forum currency with the current items available in MogShop?

3. Would more events motivate you to be more active?

If everyone reading this could take the time to make a post and answer the above questions it would be very much appreciated. You are allowed, of course, to expand on your answers, but a simple yes or no to the 3 questions above is totally okay.

Thank you all in advance. :D

Round 2:

4. Would you like it if forum event prizes also applied on Discord? I.e coloured usernames, a specific title / colour, social media shoutouts, etc?

5. Would you like to see more Discord exclusive events?

6. Is there/could there be an interest for Mogshop at all on your end? If yes, please leave a comment with what you'd like to see in the shop. If no, feel free to comment if you'd prefer to see the current mogshop rewards just be handed out during events.

7. For those motivated by more events, would you like to see more...

1. Simple / Less time consuming events.
2. Medium / somewhat time consuming events
3. Full on / heavy time consuming events
All of the above
5. None of the above (please elaborate in a comment or on the forum)

1. On average, how much time would you spend with the FFF community (Forum and/or Discord) on weekly basis.
  • More than 2 hours
  • Between 2 - 4 hours
  • Less than 4 hours
2. On ratio, how much is this time split between Discord and the forum?
  • Majority Discord
  • Mostly Discord
  • 50/50 between both platforms
  • Mostly Forum
  • Majority Forum
3. Do you experience any blockers when it comes to your activity on the forum (e.g. mobile capabilities of the platform, lack of interest in threads, speed of interaction)
  • Yes (please let us know in a post)
  • No
4. When you do visit the here, what type of content would you interact most with?

Last edited:
1. Would it motivate you to be more active if username changes were free of charge?
Yes, it would motivate me.

2. Do you feel motivated to earn forum currency with the current items available in MogShop?
Yes

Yes, it would motivate me and the other members in this forum.

Last edited:
Would it make anyone be more active? I don't see the correlation; I'm not sure anyone is posting just because they want to change their usernames. So probably not, no. Might make for a few laughs on Discord though if people can change whenever. Would love to hear the insight behind this question!

No. I've always felt it's overly complicated and obscure. What's Gil for? What's a Mako Point and what can I do with it? How do I even get those things? Why do we need two currencies with different rules? Is it worth the effort? Why is there a need for a point system on a forum as quiet as this one? Username changes and thread colours are cool at face value but people would actually have to post to make them mean something. As for the other items in the Mogshop - which itself has desperately needed a UX overhaul for years - I'd challenge any of the staff here to tell us what they are without looking. If you can't, it might be worth evaluating why they're there in the first place. If you don't care, why would anyone else?

For example, when I navigate to the MogShop, I see I can buy a "Setzer's Tent" for 50gil. Or a "Edgar's Tent'. Or any of Dan's mascots. But why? What are they for? It's not clear. I was on staff for years and I don't even know. Why would I want to 'save' my currency for such items? (build-a-member is fantastic though, so is the eggling thing. Love your work)

Then we have stuff like Discord Nitro or a Steam Gift Card for 30 Mako Points, respectively. But who are these for? No one on the entire forum (outside of Dan who has 30 points - congrats) is even close to earning one of these. And as an admin, he'd probably have to buy himself the gift in the event that he claimed it. Beyond that, who even knew these rewards existed? Has anyone actually claimed any of the real monetary rewards? I'm just not sure I see the point beyond "hey look, post on this forum and we'll maybe buy you stuff one day"

I initially answered 'no' on discord but after more consideration I think the answer would likely be a 'maybe' instead. It's just kinda hard to care when they are all tied up with an outdated and neglected rewards system. If each event was celebrated as an event in itself, and not so much as a means to an end (rewards that seem pointless) I feel like I would want to participate more. Imagine if instead of getting some nebulous currency that you instantly forget about after winning, you were celebrated and promoted on the forum and on social media, or got special perks on discord (fancy title or unique colours, for example). What if there was just one event happening at a time, but more consistently throughout the year? Perhaps that would feel more meaningful. I don't know.

With all that said, the whole situation is extremely difficult and this is just my opinion (re. activity and rewards/events). A few of you guys have really put in 110% into every part of this forum over the years, but maybe it's time to simplify and cut back.

Last edited:
Setzer Gabbiani Great to hear, Setzer! Thank you for taking the time to fill out the questions!

Fair points who

Usernames (especially with the forum currency you need to change it) can be demotivating. For example, being stuck with a username you no longer like or associate yourself with but posting is a constant reminder. It definitely won't be a change whenever type of situation, but I think with the ease of changing your name on places like Twitter, it's only normal we follow in a similar direction.

Forum currency has definitely been one of those things that due to the original system we had in place has always been a lot more... complicated than it needed to be in my opinion as well. We did try and simplify with the two new currencies (introducing two because one is easy to earn, and the other we wanted to keep for actual paid for items by a select few individuals on Staff). So we needed to have a second currency to keep these things in check. I doubt any of us are made of gold. :wacky:

Mogshop Items, recently we added the little "display" back to under our userbars when you post (desktop only) to make the items purchased display and it's not just a tab on your profile. But I can definitely understand how this is irrelevant and uninteresting to some people. They're just trinkets themselves that are there for "display" purposes. They're a bit different than Dan's stuff as you mentioned! Definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

As far as events go, some people like to have a reason to post versus just looking for threads to post in.

Including the discord in the perks is something I've brought up as well, so I'm glad you mentioned it here. :D It's good for all of us on staff to know what members would like to see, as there's little that seems relevant anymore without dishing out actual cash, which some of us are okay with, but again, that has to be realistic.

Thank you for going in depth on your answers!

We'll be throwing out a few more questions soon, guys!

New round of questions have been added

4. Would you like it if forum event prizes also applied on Discord? I.e coloured usernames, a specific title / colour, social media shoutouts, etc?

6. Is there/could there be an interest for Mogshop at all on your end? If yes, please leave a comment with what you'd like to see in the shop. If no, feel free to comment if you'd prefer to see the current mogshop rewards just be handed out during events.

4. All of the above

Yes, that would be great!

Yes

Yes. I would like to see a variety of new items added to the Mogshop such as custom titles, custom username effects, neon username colors and new plushies.

Less time consuming events.

New round of questions:

1. On average, how much time would you spend with the FFF community (Forum and/or Discord) on weekly basis.
  • More than 2 hours
  • Between 2 - 4 hours
  • Less than 4 hours
  • Majority Discord
  • Mostly Discord
  • Mostly Forum
  • Majority Forum
3. Do you experience any blockers when it comes to your activity on the forum (e.g. mobile capabilities of the platform, lack of interest in threads, speed of interaction)
  • Yes (please let us know in a post)
  • No

4. When you do visit the here, what type of content would you interact most with?

Between 2-4 hours.

50/50 between platforms.

No

Gaming information.

• Between 2 - 4 hours, on a good week. More often than not, less than that.
  • Majority Discord

Yes. The biggest blocker for me, is that even if there were people here to interact with in a timely manner, the site is just sluggish and frustrating. Takes far too long to load any of the pages and half the time they don't even work. This is consistent in that it has been the same for years, but seems to get worse at certain times of day. And no, it's not just on my end.

Secondly, as I've mentioned above, is that 95% of the content is by the same three staff members trying desperately to keep this place alive and if you aren't interested in what they're posting about, then there's not much else going on. There's no point making a thread about... well, anything... just so you can get maybe two replies over the next 4-5 years, when you could instead post the same thing in Discord and have a conversation with actual people in real time. It doesn't compare or make sense.

My interest in FF is waning and if I wanted to talk about it, I'd use the Discord instead. So, frankly speaking, I mostly just come here to post some music when I get bored. The music thread is fun in a 'fire and forget' kinda way. Of course there's the most personal stuff - like mood threads etc - but again, all of that goes to Discord anyway.

Last edited:
- Wouldn't change my opinion of the website (However I am sure I have done this at least once :P)

- Not really, but I don't see that as the site sprimar focus.

- Earning them with more activities, I know there have been some great drawing and writing events in t he past, but what about hosting more gaming events/competitions?

- I don't use Discord.

- No.

- Not sure if it would be possible to collaborate with other groups liek KupoCon for potential prizes?

2. Medium / somewhat time consuming events - Gaming Competitions (Doesn't have to be just FF games).

• Between 2 - 4 hours
  • Majority Forum
  • Yes - Firefox Addons for my web browser.
Mostly the dedicated FF Game Forums or to talk about new releases of merch'. I think topics like what your currently playing, watching reading etc. are good topics for anyone who isn't FF gaming to keep in touch - I find topics dedicated to other games rarely get much feedback.

I liked the Timber Manics Mogozine, that was a fun attraction to the site. It also bares question if there is anyone here with competent video Editing Skills that could create a Youtube Channel to Represent the Forum? I've recently tried to do something similar for my work on a Wiki/Fandom Page for Shadow of Memories/ Shadow of Destiny - Which includes Inventory Walkthroughs, Soundtracks, Ending Guides & Tours around the games location. It's hard to gauge whether it is a succcess or not, but I'm just glad to make the content and raise some awareness for a title I am found of.

Also, I think I have mentioned this before but I do get the impression a lot of the community is on Discord as opposed to conversing in the actual forums.

I should also add that I don't play FF14 due to the subscription model.

Round 1:

i seldomly change my username, but once in a month is more than enough. i dont wanna be charged for changing my username. i am not more motivated than usual if i can change my username.
i do. i wanna buy for sure.

yes, definately.
Round 2:

i dont like discord, only forum.
i dont care about that.
i dunno

4. All of the above
all kind of events, regardless how much time it consumes. i have more than enough time
  • More than 2 hours
  • Between 2 - 4 hours
  • Less than 4 hours
depends on how active the community is
  • Majority Discord
  • Mostly Discord
  • Mostly Forum
  • Majority Forum
major forum
3. Do you experience any blockers when it comes to your activity on the forum (e.g. mobile capabilities of the platform, lack of interest in threads, speed of interaction. 4. When you do visit the here, what type of content would you interact most with?
i am doing already, what makes me fun. only blocked by inactivity of other users

Back