SPOILERS Let's talk about a certain character's fate...

Mister Goober

Gil
FFXIV
Chad Thundermember
All major spoilers. Read with great caution.

I've read from a few sources that Aerith might not die this time but... Firstly, will she or will she not based on what you know? Secondly, do you think SHE SHOULD? I want to experience the same feeling the die-hard FF7 fans felt, except with current graphics. I want to see her die, as ugly as that sounds. Will she? And should she?

As long as it's not Rinoa who's dying, I won't be emotionally scarred. Aerith is not my waifu.

I, too, would prefer if they went the OG route with this one. I've always said this, and it's not even because Aerith is my least liked character. I just wouldn't like for them to change the story line so drastically to where it just becomes a "stand-alone" take, so to speak.

It's not how they "sold" the game to us when it was in production, so it would definitely bother me if other characters got her fate instead (there's speculation on Barret or even Tifa taking her place), which would feel very cheap, even if it were to make sense story wise. Copy another characters' story line for the sake of "alternate" story telling? Nah, not a fan.

I truly hope they stick as much as possible to the OG, and that perhaps when / if it happens we can see some Zack and Aerith action on working together from the "alternate" universe aka Lifestream maybe?

I'd say as long as Tifa doesn't die, I'm good.... but... I don't want any other characters to suddenly take the place of. It just makes no sense, so it would bother me if it was changed, period.

I think they should stick to the original story, I don't dislike Aerith but it's one of those things that made FF7 better for it. It's good to have some main characters die in the story every now and then as it deepens the story.

It never really affected me when I was playing it as a kid, besides the fact I was using this character as the main healer in my party and I was like oww shit gotta use a new toon for healing now.

Cosmo Canyon with Nanaki always did affect me and made me shed a tear or two. I cant wait for this part. I'm pretty sure i won't stay dry this time either <3

I feel like that if this didn't happen like it does in the original story line that it might possibly pull away from the game a bit. Aerith's Death was something that seemed very necessary to the story and really touched many FF Players in a way that made them desire to see a resolve to all of this. Her death wasn't some cheesy self-sacrifice, and it happened at such a fitting, beautiful and unique place. It's cheesy writing it out but really the entire scene is poetic in a way, and leaving that out just seems wrong and incomplete in my opinion. Do they think they could do better? Maybe they could, but I don't feel like it's easy to recreate different scenes like this in a way that they managed to in the original.. but maybe that's just my nostalgia talking. I really just want want the game to stick as close to the original as possible, including where Zack & Aerith are dead by the end of the game.

Plus, updated graphics at the City of the Ancients would look so good, including the pool of water. I just can't imagine the disappointment I'd feel watching the scene unfold beautifully just to have it last minute turn around and not do the thing that I expect it to do. I don't want to facepalm or feel embarrassed for them |:

(there's speculation on Barret or even Tifa taking her place), which would feel very cheap, even if it were to make sense story wise. Copy another characters' story line for the sake of "alternate" story telling? Nah, not a fan.
:| I've not read that before and sincerely hope that isn't going to happen. I don't know what to believe anymore but that seems really terrible and deviating too far from the original. I wasn't expecting a carbon copy but ffs that sounds awful.

A small side note, ill see if I can find some reference to this, but the creators of final fantasy 7 actually had plans to kill a lot of members of the party.
It would make for a very dark story, Final Fantasy Series had had some dark turns but I don't think anything as dark as killing an entire party of main characters.

I posted it down here, let me know what you guys would have thought if that was to happen in FF7 Remake :S

Aerith is one of the main playable characters in “Final Fantasy VII” and with her set of skills, which focused on holy and light elements, she was an ally that the party needed and depended on the most. Unfortunately, Aerith was shockingly suddenly killed in the early part of the game, which was at the end of Disc 1 of the game. Back in the days, to cater to video games with huge files, the developers released them in a set, which usually consisted of up to four discs.

This shocking turning point in the event has gotten millions of fans back in the days (and even now when they remember it) flipping tables and throwing joysticks, metaphorically. The creators of the “Final Fantasy VII” game has even admitted that they were surprised to find out that so many were affected by Aerith’s death that these gamers were even brought to tears. Tetsuya Nomura, along with the other creators who were responsible, explained why Aerith’s death was an essential part of the story.

As a matter of fact, they have even revealed that they have originally planned to kill off more of the main characters so players should be thankful still that it was just Aerith who died in the game. There was even a point when they were debating between Barret and Aerith to die. After some bickering between Nomura and fellow director Yoshinori Kitase, Nomura has revealed that the latter, along with writer Kazushige Nojima, has actually proposed that almost all main characters in “Final Fantasy VII” were doomed to die. Nomura pointed out that after being blamed by fans about Aerith’s date, he opened up that he actually had to stop them from carrying out the original plans of the story.

It seems like director Kitase and Nojima had planned to kill off everyone nearing the end, with only the final three characters chosen by the player to head off to Midgar to survive. They were referring to the last parachute part towards Midgar where they initially planned the rest of the main characters to die from a plane crash instead. Nojima explained that since he was the writer of the game, he proposed Aerith’s death on his own but discussed with the main staff on killing off everybody else.

Mister Goober - I've added special 'Goober' spoilers around the regular spoilers since some details you might not want to read yourself if you want to go in blind, but others spoilers you are aware of already in your OP. I leave it up to you about reading the 'Goober spoilers'

-
There’s a possibility that [TRUE SPOILER FOR ENDING, GOOBER ‘defeating Fate’ (AKA the Whispers) ]at the end of the FFVII Remake was a red herring. I thinks Aerith should still die because there has to be some sense of loss. It’ll affect the character arcs of other characters if this moment is lost. However, she might die in a different way this time. It is possible that, being aware of the future, the party manage to avoid her death at the moment we are familiar with, only for her to die in a different way a bit later. If so, hopefully this doesn't end up being ridiculous like Final Destination and she slips on a bar of soap and falls out of a window into the path of a runaway lawnmower or something...

I think the scene as it was in the original was, narratively speaking, fairly perfect. It worked. It made players (myself included) feel. A lot. It could be that they think they nailed it the first time and they'll do something else this time. It would be quite a divisive decision if so. It is hard to say at this stage for sure.

A small side note, ill see if I can find some reference to this, but the creators of final fantasy 7 actually had plans to kill a lot of members of the party.
It would make for a very dark story, Final Fantasy Series had had some dark turns but I don't think anything as dark as killing an entire party of main characters.

I posted it down here, let me know what you guys would have thought if that was to happen in FF7 Remake :S
Yeah, I believe this is why they [ANOTHER SPOILER, GOOBER temporarily killed Barret ]at the end of the Remake. A nod to these discussions behind the scenes about who should live and die.

Back