FIN Let's Play Skies Of Arcadia (Gamecube)!

greenyxi

Veteran
Gil
Chocobo Egg
Kuja
Garnet
Tifa Lockhart
Sabin's Tent
Skies Of Arcadia

Hey there folks, we're finally starting up a new let's play! Skies of Arcadia is an incredibly nostalgic, turn-based JRPG from back on the Dreamcast, though this will be the Gamecube version. Proper cartoony and fun, as all good JRPGs are. I can't think of many other JRPGs from Sega actually...I guess Yakuza: Like A Dragon is their most popular?

Here's the opening:

And here's the Youtube playlist if you fancy that:

If you could let me know about the picture quality, I'll change it for the first episode if quick enough. I might need to have small bars on the bottom and top since it's a Gamecube game.

Thanks for watching! See you in a bit! Yarrr!

Episode 1 - The Air Pirates

Yar, here be the start of a new series! I'm so excited to bring a classic Dreamcast JRPG to you (though this is the Gamecube version). Today we're meeting Vyse and Aika as they attempt to steal from an airship, what with them being air pirates!

Thanks for watching! See you soon! :)

Episode 2 - Home Sweet Home

Hey there folks, today we're exploring Pirate Isle! I love the double sided nature of this town; the innocent village along with the pirate shenanigans.

Thanks for watching! Looks like we'll be heading on over to Shrine Island next time so see you there! :)

Episode 3 - In Search Of Moonstones

Hey peoples, let's check out Shrine Island! I really like this place even though it's a water based dungeon which I normally don't like in games!

Thanks for watching! Trouble ahead in the next episode! See you in a bit! :)

P.S. I'm working on the picture quality but I'm finding it bloody hard with a Gamecube game.

Episode 4 - They Came Out Of Nowhere!

Hey there folks! It looks like they came out of nowhere! Also, we head on over towards Sailor's Island, only for a bit of a mysterious chap by the name of Drachma to fortunately be hanging around.

Thanks for watching! See you in a bit! :)

Episode 5 - Sailor's Island! Yar!

Hey there peoples, it's time for us to check out Sailor's Island in the hopes that we can find a way to have Drachma give us a lift over to Valua! Fingers crossed!

Episode 6 - Those Dastardly Villains!

Hey peoples, so today we help out our merchant pal in order to gain a passport but Blackbeard wants to get in the way; time for our first ship battle! We also get to meet a bunch of Valuan villains! Things are gonna get interesting!

Thanks for watching! See you in a wee bit! :)

Episode 7 - The Slums Of Valua

Hey there folks, today we check out the lower sector of Valua! It's definitely run down and a wee bit depressing...

Episode 8 - Amidst The Catacombs

Hey there folks, so there might be a way for us to save the kidnapped people of Pirate Isle; we need to head under Valua and traverse the Catacombs! Guardian included.

Episode 9 - Saviours At The Colosseum!

Hey there folks! So we've come here to save some pirates (yar!) but will we succeed? Surely our JRPG protagonist can't lose one of his parents? That doesn't happen in a million JRPGs, sure to God ;).

Episode 10 - I Choo-Choo-Choose You

Hey there folks, today it's all aboard the choo choo train as we try to save Fina from the bad old Valuans! How will it all turn out?

I have never actually heard of this (or if I had, I hadn't registered it).

Then again, I owned neither a Dreamcast or a Gamecube and thus lacked the means to play this game.

I like the references to ancient Greece, of course! The romanticised image of Arcadia (sometimes associated with the moon). A character named Drachma (a Greek coin). They've scattered some things about here alongside sky pirates.

I have never actually heard of this (or if I had, I hadn't registered it).

Then again, I owned neither a Dreamcast or a Gamecube and thus lacked the means to play this game.

I like the references to ancient Greece, of course! The romanticised image of Arcadia (sometimes associated with the moon). A character named Drachma (a Greek coin). They've scattered some things about here alongside sky pirates.

Is it bad that I never really picked up on the Greek stuff? Interesting that Arcadia refers to moons though since the game is sorta focused on them so much :lew:.

It's such a good game. The main gimmick is the odd ship battle that pops up along with the elemental weapon system.

--------------------------------------------------

Episode 11 - Aika's Hair Is On Fire!

Hey there folks, it's time for us to head on over to the land under the red moon in an attempt to find the first crystal; the red one! Can the blazing temperatures of Maramba stop our ragtag bunch of heroes???

Episode 12 - The Tomb Raiders

Hey there peoples, it's time to check out the puzzles and traps within the Temple of Pyrynn! I do love a good pyramid!

Is it bad that I never really picked up on the Greek stuff? Interesting that Arcadia refers to moons though since the game is sorta focused on them so much :lew:.

Not bad at all.

It is only a very minor connection and not the main image for Arcadia, but an interesting one. Arcadia is a region in Greece. There are some ancient references to the Arcadian people being pre-lunar / preceding the existence of the moon (thus signifying how old they were and how long these peoples had been in these lands, as implied by those who claimed that).

Arcadia is mostly known for being an idyllic pastoral wilderness. It is also typically imagined to be the home of Pan (goat-legged god of nature).

But one of Arcadia's mythical kings was Lykaon (or Lycaon). Lykaon was transformed by Zeus into a wolf (in some traditions his punishment for trying to feed a child to Zeus to test his omniscience: either Lykaon's own son or some other child, depending on the storyteller). Sometimes his other sons were turned into wolves alongside him.

And what do wolves like to do? Hoooowwwwl at the moon! 🌑

So there is a little connection there which has persisted over time to a degree. It is cool to see it resurface in unusual places, such as in this game!

P.S. You might also recognise Lykaon as a certain ill-fated, blood-thirsty wolf species prominent in the MSQ of Endwalker's 5th zone!

Arcadia is mostly known for being an idyllic pastoral wilderness. It is also typically imagined to be the home of Pan (goat-legged god of nature).

P.S. You might also recognise Lykaon as a certain ill-fated, blood-thirsty wolf species prominent in the MSQ of Endwalker's 5th zone!

The god of nature eh? Watch this space for the 2nd moon crystal area! I wonder how many references will be there?

I had to google about the Lykaon :lew:. It's odd to see all these connections in a medium like gaming for some reason lmao. Interesting though! P.S. I did read the rest of what you wrote just couldn't think of a reply :monocle:.

Episode 13 - The Incident Under The Red Moon

Hey there peoples, today we're finishing off the Temple Of Pyrynn and checking out what unfolds when we get our mitts on the red moon crystal! It's a doozy!

Episode 14 - The Jungles Of Ixa'taka

Hey there folks! Today we're sailing through the deadly South Ocean in order to reach the lands under the green moon! Ixa'taka has such lush environments and the main village has one of my favourite tracks from this game :).

Episode 15 - Absolutely Loco!

Hey peoples, so today we check out our 2nd Armada adversary! Let me tell you...he's completely loco!

Episode 16 - De Loco's Mountain Of Traps

Hey there folks, today we need to infiltrate Moon Stone Mountain in order to find the high priest! I hope after all this he knows about the green moon crystal...

Thanks for watching! See you in a bit :).

P.S. I did a quick google after recording and it turns out that there's a moonfish on the platform where you find the treasure chest with Drachma's new weapon. Absolutely gutted!

Back