Is There A Connection Between The Viera And Garif?

Laro

Unsent
Veteran
Gil
Vincent
As you all know Viera live without men, but how are they born then? And why are there no Viera children?
Same with Garif who live in the Ozmone Plain, I didn't see any females in that village... Is it possible that Viera men are Garif? And why the heck would they be living far from each other?

What do you think?

hmmm thats a very good question

i think that they are two differant races and dont inbreed but i will have to contemplate more before i come to a decision

thank you you have given me something to contemplate for a time...

That is a really good question.
But you know I always thought that the Viera were born from the Wood it self and since they don't seem to age (seeing how Fran is over 50.) So there really wuoldn't be a need to make more of them. Perhaps this is a one time deal like after all the Vieras are gone there won't be anymore. I mean they are supposed to live for ever in the Wood that means that they wouldn't be exposed to any danger.
As with the Garif, I'm not sure because they do expose them selves to danger...so I doubt there would be somehting like the Viera.

~Tifa~

I guess that idea would make sense...they don't really live that far apart from each other, so that could be a possibilty.

I think it's either that, or Tifa's idea.

I always assumed the viera had like one male in the village and they would all mate with him when it was like the proper season or something. Or they could be born from the wood in adult form.

I think there were some female garifs. I doubt they look any different from the males.

@tifa, first of all fran isnt 50, she is over 50 because she mentioned leaving 50 years ago. And secondly im sure they do die eventually but they just have a very long lifespan like 200 years or something. Remember fran saying "we may start in the wood, but it is not the only end we can choose".

Last edited:
I did say "Over 50" =/
Who can forget that one scene where Vaan asks her how old she is and everyone gave the poor boy the glare of death.

~Tifa~
woops misread, im doing that alot lately.

And yeah i love that.
"nice going vaan"
"Grow up please"
"Surprisingly rude"

They are 2 seperate races, that's a very good assumption though. I've heard that the Viera have male woodsmen they're just always out of the wood either for hunting, gathering food or doing some kind of other business. And on the subject of the Garif, weren't there female elders in the village? I can't really remember, but that's always boggled me as to why there weren't any Viera males...

Last edited:
Viera males and females live seperately away from each other, deeper into the woods, males anyway. Apparently, males and females only meet when it's time for them to mate or something like that. I don't think Males go outside either of the Wood whatsoever, unlike some of the females.

As for the Garif, not a clue.

I got told the above info from a friend of mine ages ago, but he doesn't come on MSN anymore so..-shrugs-

I found this on deviantart, and it's what I got told by from a friend, but on another site, so despite this being on deviantart, it's pretty much legit detail :

"Male and female Viera live separately from each other, and communicate only if the need arises. Presumably, reproduction is considered one such need, but due to the Viera's remarkable longevity (it is estimated that their lifespan is roughly three times that of Humes; Fran of Eruyt, for one, is well over 50 years old, but one could scarcely tell by just looking at her), that need might not arise more often than any other."

http://the-viera-club.deviantart.com/

^That is a good point about how long they live, why all the reproducing like bunnies? But that explanation about the Viera males seems... completely made up. Very far-fetched. Why would they live independently of one another, why have you NEVER seen one in the woods or out? So, yeah, still not clear on how they reproduce unless they're asexual beings, but I doubt living 200 years or more that they'd need to more than every century or more.

Well I personally like the idea of male viera. I'm not sure why they would live away from the females, but whatever. It makes more sense than the garif reproducing with them, because..

Garif + Viera = :gasp:

So yea, I don't think the Garif reproduce with the Viera. As for where the female Garif are, I have no idea. FFXII sure is full of mysteries..

^That is a good point about how long they live, why all the reproducing like bunnies? But that explanation about the Viera males seems... completely made up. Very far-fetched. Why would they live independently of one another, why have you NEVER seen one in the woods or out? So, yeah, still not clear on how they reproduce unless they're asexual beings, but I doubt living 200 years or more that they'd need to more than every century or more.

It's not made up. I'm sorry...but I do know what I'm talking about. Seeing as you are NOT convinced...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_there_male_viera_in_FFXII

Says right here it was confirmed in the Ultimania guide.

As for them not appearing, I don't know the answer to that. Check the Ultimania guide out or something.

I'm going for the facts that there is either males deeper in the wood or there are no males and they simply mate with Humes. These two ideas seem the most likely but yes it is an interesting subject and I might do some research.

But I find it a bit strange that the game it self wouldn't even give hints about there being male Viera. That just seems strange to me =/

~Tifa~

I'm going for the facts that there is either males deeper in the wood or there are no males and they simply mate with Humes. These two ideas seem the most likely but yes it is an interesting subject and I might do some research.

Can you check my posts please? It says that there are male Viera.

There are female Garif, most like. I mean, how can you tell? If I recall right, one of the Garif NPCs remarks that Humes can't tell Garifs apart. And there ARE male Viera, we just don't get to see them. I mean, FFXII is set in an very, very, small area of Ivalice-just an single penisula, and not even all of that.

And seperating male and female Viera makes sense. They inhabit an small area and live an long, long time. Overpopulation would be an major issue.

So, the Garifs and Viera are different races that just happen to share an general region.

Humes... Yes, I remember helping a Viera falling in love with a hume in Rabanastre. I suppose it's a possibility but wouldn't a Hume and Viera child look different than it is supposed to?

I hate that FF XII is so full of secrets -__-

I don't think that the Viera and the Garif would mate together, their children would just look....weird.

I prefer to believe that the Male Viera live deeper in the wood, it just simplifies something that could have an incredibly complex and far-fetched answer.

Back