Invitation to participate in a short survey about Final Fantasy XVI (hosted by University of Antwerp, Belgium)

RowanDaneels

Gil
[NOTE: This post was approved by the moderators. Also, we apologize in advance for any cross-postings with other forums!]

Hello everyone,

My name is Rowan Daneels, and I am a games researcher at the University of Antwerp, Belgium. For a study on the upcoming game Final Fantasy XVI, I’m collaborating with Dr. Daniel Possler from Hanover University (Germany) and Dr. Nick Bowman from Texas Tech University (USA). With the three of us, we’re conducting an online survey on people’s expectations and motivations to play FFXVI.

In order to participate, you must be 18 years or older. We will host a drawing with ten $50/€50 Amazon gift cards to divide randomly amongst all participants who complete the survey. We expect that the survey takes about 10-15 minutes to complete. Furthermore, no personal identifying information will be asked, except for email addresses to contact participants regarding the gift cards (these will be stored separately from your answers, and will only be used to contact you when you have won). Finally, we are not affiliated with any developers of the game: the results will be used for scholarly purposes only.

The online survey, as well as details on the survey, can be found at: https://uantwerpen.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_01h4KBmrrwwYa2i

Happy to answer any questions about the study, here or via email (rowan.daneels@uantwerp.be).
We’ll also share our study results once available (probably around December ’21 or early ‘22).

Thanks in advance for your participation; really excited to read all the survey responses!

I took this survey today.
Hopefully you and your academic partners manage to acquire the number of responses that you are looking for.

Keep us updated!

I took this survey today.
Hopefully you and your academic partners manage to acquire the number of responses that you are looking for.

Keep us updated!
Thanks for the help! I'm sure we will!
I'm very interested in the results, which I will share in this thread once we have them (somewhere beginning of '22).

Small update: as we received an amazing amount of responses, we already decided to close the survey. We might relaunch our survey in the future or do a similar follow-up questionnaire. If anyone's interested in that, you can leave your email using the existing survey link (which will only be used to contact you for future studies) and we can directly send a link.

Thanks again for helping us in our study!

Hello everyone,

Some time back, we invited members of this forum to take a survey on gaming motivations for a research project which was a collaboration between myself (Rowan Daneels, University of Antwerp, Belgium), prof. dr. Nick Bowman (Texas Tech U, USA) and dr. Daniel Possler (IJK Hannover, Germany). We focused on several upcoming (at that time) games, including Final Fantasy XVI.

We received more than 1000 valid responses to the survey and now, we're pleased to share those results with everyone. If you follow the following URL to the safe open science platform OSF (https://osf.io/mdvjw/?view_only=3a639ea6a7e14897bcfdfa8767f724ce) you will see a file called "Executive Summary | Eudaimonic Gaming Motivations survey.pdf." In that file, we included a short overview of our results.

Enjoy, and feel free to chat more about them. Apologies in advance if we're slow to engage the chat in here, and if needed, you can contact me at rowan.daneels@uantwerpen.be.

On behalf of our research team, please know that we really appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts with us. Game on. =)

Rowan

Seems like people are digging FFXVI's medieval aesthetics! This seems to fit a trend I've noticed on this site too (like here). People love the 'futuristic' settings too, but every now and then people want a return to the medieval-fantasy genre.

And some recognition of the trailer for FFXVI looking a bit darker as well, and I suspect some aspects of the game will be quite hard for us to watch. But, as your results also show, people have faith in this particular team to deliver a story which balances these things nicely.

I'm glad this community (and the wider FF and gamer communities) could be some small help for your study. I wish you well with any other academic endeavours.

Seems like people are digging FFXVI's medieval aesthetics! This seems to fit a trend I've noticed on this site too (like here). People love the 'futuristic' settings too, but every now and then people want a return to the medieval-fantasy genre.

And some recognition of the trailer for FFXVI looking a bit darker as well, and I suspect some aspects of the game will be quite hard for us to watch. But, as your results also show, people have faith in this particular team to deliver a story which balances these things nicely.

I'm glad this community (and the wider FF and gamer communities) could be some small help for your study. I wish you well with any other academic endeavours.
Nice to hear that our findings resonate with the community here! The desire to return to a medieval setting also probably originates from some nostalgic feelings players have.

Thanks again that we were allowed to post our research here. We appreciate that very much!

Back