How Many Episodes? My Theory

VillainFan42

Ex-Soldier
Gil
FFXIV
Arza Ra'qael
Free Company
Prelude of Light <Lux>
So I decided to sit down and try to figure out, if the rest of VII Remake moves at the same pace as Episode one, how many episodes will there be overall? Well, I have a theory:

There will be four.

Episode One will cover all of Midgar, as Square Enix has already said.

Episode Two will start with the party regrouping at Kalm for the Nibelheim Flashback, and end off with the stuff at Corel Prison.

Episode Three will kick off with the car breaking down at Cosmo Canyon and end with Cloud's breakdown at North Crater, with you-know-what happening in between. (This one will be faster-paced owing to the first half being a lot of moving from point A to place B with not a lot of plot advancement.)

Episode Four will start with Tifa waking up in Junon and go until the final battle.

I figure that, since they said that they took extra care to expand on Midgar in particular, the rest of the game will be a bit more fast-paced. What do you guys think? Do you think there will be more than 4 episodes?

After Episode 1 being focused on Midgar, my initial plan has gone out the Window:
Part 1: Midgar - Confirmed.
Part 2: Midgar - End o Disc 1 in the Original... - That Moment has to hit hard & Jenova as a last Boss works.
Part 3: End of Disc 1/Crater - Midgar Return - The Ending to this Part is the biggest Issue, but I guess it could end with Clouds Return.
Part 4: Midgar Return (Expanded too) - End

4 Parts doesn't sound as marketable as a Trilogy... but with Midgar being focused as a whole part, this is the best I can think of...

I can see it easily sitting well in two parts, three at most. I don't think the expansion of Midgar means that they have to do the same all across the rest of the game. It would actually make perfect sense to extend Midgar to the length of a game like they're doing, and then put the rest in a second part. Or, what my original through process was, which is three parts. Stop part two right after the first visit to North Crater on Disc 2, and finish the story off in a third part.
The reason why I'd stop it after North Crater, rather than right after the end of the first disc, is because it makes more sense to spend the first half of a third game without Cloud at all. We just lost Aeris, and then we lose Cloud. Big, important cliffhanger. Which also gives the third game the chance to start slow. Tifa wakes up, Meteor is revealed, and Cloud is missing.

Imagine instead if the third game started right after Aeris' death. They'd be expecting players to still have heated feelings for something that may have happened in a game that they last played two years ago, because the characters would still be really heated about it. But what's more, it would probably be pretty frustrating to get to play with Cloud in your party for a few hours, only to have him stripped from you for half of the rest of the game. I think it makes worlds more sense to let the characters cool off for the week or whatever that Tifa is unconscious, have Meteor be the big opening reveal of the game, and then to avoid teasing players with Cloud, by just not having him show back up until later.

Since so much of disc one beyond Midgar is world and character building, rather than plot progression, I don't think that needs to be split up. And the same goes with most of the events of disc two, which primarily are designed to show the increasing struggle as every last hope seems to be taken from the party.

It's important to not extend things where they don't need extended. The main reasons I think Midgar is being expanded is to give some breathing room for Zack related stuff, to actually spend real time expanding on Aeris'/Cloud's relationship, and to add more weight to Barret's rushed choices to helm a terrorist organization. But if we contrast that with what the rest of disc one and disc two actually add, the goals of these sections are pretty squarely realized already. And with the new Midgar section presumably making up for the few issues these other sections had, there's little reason to expand them that much. Slow them down, add more side content, fully directed cutscenes, larger dungeons, etc., sure. But their actual story moments are pretty fine as they are.

Indeed. Most of the major story beats work best in that scenario. This also gives them even more time to produce what will likely be some variation of an open world game for the (hopefully just) two sequels. There is a lot there. But it works.

Does anyone else feel like Nomura could be lying about where PART 1 leaves off in order to stave off any leaks? Just think, a credible leaker drops news that includes parts outside of Midgar and nobody would believe them because the devs have been saying for years that PART 1 will just be Midgar. It's the perfect plan. Nomura really hates leaks and has changed his tactics on how to handle them as the years go by. So maybe this is misdirection? Just something to think about.

If it is indeed only Midgar for Part 1.

I personally think that if Midgar has been expanded on, then the rest will be, too. Otherwise, it will feel really weird.

There's two plotlines to FFVII: Cloud's past and the fight for the Planet. Every part of the story will have to serve at least one of those elements for it to be a properly told story.

Even though they'll be broken up:

PART 1 & 2 will act as "ACT I", the inciting incident/set up of the story. Both parts will introduce us to the core elements of the story as well as every character that will matter later on.

PART 3 will take the "ACT II" role; with all the confrontations/midpoints coming to light.

And PART 4 will be "ACT III"; the closure for all of it.

1566518286710.png

PART 1: Midgar (exposition)
WHY: Because it introduces us to the main players: Cloud, Aerith, Sephiroth. It introduces us to the struggle of the Planet, and teases us about Cloud's nemesis. Ending at Midgar leaves players wanting more but provides enough story where we hopefully don't feel like we did nothing the whole time. The questions we'll be left with are: "Who's Sephiroth to Cloud?" "Why is Cloud having these weird breakdowns" "What are Ancients?" "What is the role of the Ancients in saving the Planet" "Why does Sephiroth want to wreak destruction"

Great questions that will frustrate and leave us all craving for PART 2.

PART 2: Kalm - Nibelheim (exposition)

1566519258894.png

WHY: Kalm introduces us to the "core" of Cloud's character conflict. It's the first real part we delve into what really "happened" 5 years ago. Nibelheim Reconstructed would serve as the big mysterious cliffhanger for that "act". Another reason, it allows players to be introduced early on to Yuffie and Vincent and Cid, allowing Aerith to bond with them in order for her death to have a bigger impact later on. That way when we see them grieve her we're not like "lol, you knew her for a few days, shut up".

Narratively speaking, the "focus" of PART 2 would be about Cloud's past and to allow the team to actually bond. This would be the "middle" of the FFVIIR series. Ending with Cid's mission is also similar to the Midgar end. The crew sets out with a new vehicle that will allow them to see the rest of the world. It's very cinematic and gives a false hope almost to the players. I can imagine that during all of this, Sephiroth's story will be introduced more and more, not sure how, but I'm definitly expecting it.

Another thing, part 2 ending shortly after Cosmo Canyon gives us a cliffhanger for Aerith's "cetra" story / fight for the Planet. This will leave players interested for the next part. Players will be curious about her abilities and what role she is taking in the fight for the planet. And this is an important element just like Cloud's past is. Unanswered questions about Cloud's past and Aerith's Cetra significance both provide players with a thirst for the next part. Which is what Square Enix should be aiming for if they're hoping to actually sell this game in parts. Ending on a cliffhanger for Cloud's past in PART 2 and then another cliffhanger for Aerith's story in PART 3 *will* draw attention/interest for the next part. At least if it's done right.

PART 3: Wutai - Northern Crater (the confrontation )
1566519450977.png

Why: I feel like this part will be expanded on the absolute most. Narratively speaking, this part seems empty in terms of the core plotline of the story. But seeing how Nojima has now introduced "the watchmen of fate" element to Cloud and Aerith's first meeting, I think we should all expect there to be completely new parts of the story that we all never expected. Part two, I feel, should focus on Aerith's storyline. Her Cetra abilities, her past, it all plays the major part in the fight for the Planet. If it is set up like this, we can see a "beginning", "middle", and "end" just for her character alone.

Beginning with AVALANCHE leaving another continent and beginning another "journey", this time Aerith's character. First time around, the devs said that they gave Aerith more parts in the first half and made her loveable because they were trying to make people love her so that her death would be that much more painful. It makes sense that Nojima would expand on her and her Cetra story in order to make her death hit us even harder. This would also force players to witness the bonds she has with the other AVALANCHE members, therefore, making her death sad, too. This was a big problem in the OG, people felt like she had no friendships or any real time to bond with any of them (other than Cloud, Barret, Tifa, and Red).

If Square Enix plans to milk this game for all its worth, then they have no choice but to focus on the heroine's storyline in order to draw it all out. Delving into Aerith's story also allows for us to really feel the "threat" the Planet is facing.

Players will have to deal with the grief of Aerith's death, but also the breakdown of Cloud. "PART 3" will be when players truly see how royally f'd everything is. We'll be absolutely lost. The last Cetra, the most likely only one to defeat/stop Sephiroth will be brutally slain. Cloud, the story's hero, will be broken and lost. Players will feel a huge sense of shock and grief and anger. Emotions that will definitly have us all willing to sell an arm and a leg to have the next part.

PART 4: Junon - End of game (the resolution)
1566521064361.png

WHY: At this point, we'll all be so emotionally exhausted that we really couldn't handle another part. The core elements of the story will be solved, too. While the side quests (Vincent's past, mini-games, etc) will most likely become DLC.

Anyway, that's how I feel like it will be drawn out as a series.

My worries about all of this is that each game will have a crazy difference in graphics. I hate this. I can't stand seeing contrast like that in fan creations and it sucks to know that PART 1 will probably look so different from PART 2/3/4. And I can bet that inconsistency is probably on the devs minds, too. Which brings me to my next point:

People are worrying that they haven't started the other PARTS yet, but I guarantee you they have. We went five years without any information, then Hamaguchi signed on as co-director and within a year we get trailers, new actors, and a release date. I feel like the other parts will probably be released a lot closer together. With part 2 coming out in 2021, part 3 2022, and part 4 2023. They can't honestly expect all of us to wait six years between each installment.

The whole reason they announced the game 5 years ago was that they realized they were all getting older and that if they were going to do this, they should do it while they're young and can fully dedicate their time to it. It would defeat the purpose if part 2 comes out in 2026, part 3 comes out in 2031, and part 4 comes out in 2036. I'll be 45 years old and lemme tell you, I won't give a crap about the series if I have to nearly be 50 by the time it concludes. So none of us should think the series is going to take more than a year and half between each installment.

I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of PART 1 we see a release date for PART 2.

Attachments

• 1566518040328.png
    1566518040328.png
    85.5 KB · Views: 195
Does anyone else feel like Nomura could be lying about where PART 1 leaves off in order to stave off any leaks? Just think, a credible leaker drops news that includes parts outside of Midgar and nobody would believe them because the devs have been saying for years that PART 1 will just be Midgar. It's the perfect plan. Nomura really hates leaks and has changed his tactics on how to handle them as the years go by. So maybe this is misdirection? Just something to think about.

If it is indeed only Midgar for Part 1.

I personally think that if Midgar has been expanded on, then the rest will be, too. Otherwise, it will feel really weird.

There's two plotlines to FFVII: Cloud's past and the fight for the Planet. Every part of the story will have to serve at least one of those elements for it to be a properly told story.

Even though they'll be broken up:

PART 1 & 2 will act as "ACT I", the inciting incident/set up of the story. Both parts will introduce us to the core elements of the story as well as every character that will matter later on.

PART 3 will take the "ACT II" role; with all the confrontations/midpoints coming to light.

And PART 4 will be "ACT III"; the closure for all of it.

View attachment 7962

PART 1: Midgar (exposition)
WHY: Because it introduces us to the main players: Cloud, Aerith, Sephiroth. It introduces us to the struggle of the Planet, and teases us about Cloud's nemesis. Ending at Midgar leaves players wanting more but provides enough story where we hopefully don't feel like we did nothing the whole time. The questions we'll be left with are: "Who's Sephiroth to Cloud?" "Why is Cloud having these weird breakdowns" "What are Ancients?" "What is the role of the Ancients in saving the Planet" "Why does Sephiroth want to wreak destruction"

Great questions that will frustrate and leave us all craving for PART 2.

PART 2: Kalm - Nibelheim (exposition)

View attachment 7963

WHY: Kalm introduces us to the "core" of Cloud's character conflict. It's the first real part we delve into what really "happened" 5 years ago. Nibelheim Reconstructed would serve as the big mysterious cliffhanger for that "act". Another reason, it allows players to be introduced early on to Yuffie and Vincent and Cid, allowing Aerith to bond with them in order for her death to have a bigger impact later on. That way when we see them grieve her we're not like "lol, you knew her for a few days, shut up".

Narratively speaking, the "focus" of PART 2 would be about Cloud's past and to allow the team to actually bond. This would be the "middle" of the FFVIIR series. Ending with Cid's mission is also similar to the Midgar end. The crew sets out with a new vehicle that will allow them to see the rest of the world. It's very cinematic and gives a false hope almost to the players. I can imagine that during all of this, Sephiroth's story will be introduced more and more, not sure how, but I'm definitly expecting it.

Another thing, part 2 ending shortly after Cosmo Canyon gives us a cliffhanger for Aerith's "cetra" story / fight for the Planet. This will leave players interested for the next part. Players will be curious about her abilities and what role she is taking in the fight for the planet. And this is an important element just like Cloud's past is. Unanswered questions about Cloud's past and Aerith's Cetra significance both provide players with a thirst for the next part. Which is what Square Enix should be aiming for if they're hoping to actually sell this game in parts. Ending on a cliffhanger for Cloud's past in PART 2 and then another cliffhanger for Aerith's story in PART 3 *will* draw attention/interest for the next part. At least if it's done right.

PART 3: Wutai - Northern Crater (the confrontation )
View attachment 7964

Why: I feel like this part will be expanded on the absolute most. Narratively speaking, this part seems empty in terms of the core plotline of the story. But seeing how Nojima has now introduced "the watchmen of fate" element to Cloud and Aerith's first meeting, I think we should all expect there to be completely new parts of the story that we all never expected. Part two, I feel, should focus on Aerith's storyline. Her Cetra abilities, her past, it all plays the major part in the fight for the Planet. If it is set up like this, we can see a "beginning", "middle", and "end" just for her character alone.

Beginning with AVALANCHE leaving another continent and beginning another "journey", this time Aerith's character. First time around, the devs said that they gave Aerith more parts in the first half and made her loveable because they were trying to make people love her so that her death would be that much more painful. It makes sense that Nojima would expand on her and her Cetra story in order to make her death hit us even harder. This would also force players to witness the bonds she has with the other AVALANCHE members, therefore, making her death sad, too. This was a big problem in the OG, people felt like she had no friendships or any real time to bond with any of them (other than Cloud, Barret, Tifa, and Red).

If Square Enix plans to milk this game for all its worth, then they have no choice but to focus on the heroine's storyline in order to draw it all out. Delving into Aerith's story also allows for us to really feel the "threat" the Planet is facing.

Players will have to deal with the grief of Aerith's death, but also the breakdown of Cloud. "PART 3" will be when players truly see how royally f'd everything is. We'll be absolutely lost. The last Cetra, the most likely only one to defeat/stop Sephiroth will be brutally slain. Cloud, the story's hero, will be broken and lost. Players will feel a huge sense of shock and grief and anger. Emotions that will definitly have us all willing to sell an arm and a leg to have the next part.

PART 4: Junon - End of game (the resolution)
View attachment 7965

WHY: At this point, we'll all be so emotionally exhausted that we really couldn't handle another part. The core elements of the story will be solved, too. While the side quests (Vincent's past, mini-games, etc) will most likely become DLC.

Anyway, that's how I feel like it will be drawn out as a series.

My worries about all of this is that each game will have a crazy difference in graphics. I hate this. I can't stand seeing contrast like that in fan creations and it sucks to know that PART 1 will probably look so different from PART 2/3/4. And I can bet that inconsistency is probably on the devs minds, too. Which brings me to my next point:

People are worrying that they haven't started the other PARTS yet, but I guarantee you they have. We went five years without any information, then Hamaguchi signed on as co-director and within a year we get trailers, new actors, and a release date. I feel like the other parts will probably be released a lot closer together. With part 2 coming out in 2021, part 3 2022, and part 4 2023. They can't honestly expect all of us to wait six years between each installment.

The whole reason they announced the game 5 years ago was that they realized they were all getting older and that if they were going to do this, they should do it while they're young and can fully dedicate their time to it. It would defeat the purpose if part 2 comes out in 2026, part 3 comes out in 2031, and part 4 comes out in 2036. I'll be 45 years old and lemme tell you, I won't give a crap about the series if I have to nearly be 50 by the time it concludes. So none of us should think the series is going to take more than a year and half between each installment.

I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of PART 1 we see a release date for PART 2.

I hope you are right! Particularly about the timing of the releases. If the other parts are released a year or two apart then that would make fans happy beyond belief. I'm not sure if that'll be the case (this is Square Enix after all, much as we love them) but I sure do hope that we don't have to wait five or more years between releases. That would be ridiculous. Also, the voice actors would probably agree. That's a long, long time for actors to be involved in a project, so I'd suspect that Square Enix is planning on putting these out as fast as they can (but hopefully maintaining the same quality we've seen in trailers and demos so far).

I think the way you have divided up the plot makes a lot of sense. The cliffhangers would be at the most appropriate points in the story with enough of the story told in each section to make it all worthwhile and keep people interested for more.

Back