Help Help with boss fight(or rather sugesstions for magic/materia to beat this bastard)

DarkLordSephiroth66

Reaping souls in the Lifestream
Gil
So I am playing FFVII(for the first time in a while) and i'm kinda stuck trying to beat that boss thats in the back of Cosmo Canyon in disk 1.

I keep hitting him with as much magic attacks as possible but he just keeps destroying my ass with those levitating fireballs that do like 300 damage.

Well one thing is to have Ice-All paired up with one another, that way you can hit all three at once, also best if you have at least Ice2 going into the fight. Another helper would be shiva with at least two summonings. Other then that just focus on healing with Restore-All and maybe use a Hyper on all your chars so they have fury status in the boss fight. That way You can hit your limit breaks sooner.

Use cure against him. He's weak against holy magic. IIRC you can one shot him with a successful Raise.

Don't waste your time/mp on the fire losers by him.

Just keep attacking the boss, preferably go in to the fight with all your limits up, if you still die very easily, I'd suggest level grinding a bit in the caves. Just attack the Gi (I think his name is) though, dont waste your time on the fire.

Bolt and Ice are useful, so are limit breaks. Preferably give your whole party hyper, they do take a bit more damage, but their limits rocket up too that way.

Good luck!

Ps. I've heard tossing a Phoenix Down at him several times (might take a while) kills him too. I dunno if that applies before OR after he's damaged.

If you have a previous save still there, try buying some HP plus or MP plus from the Cosmo Canyon store as well. Could really boost your chances of beating him with a lot more health/mana.

Use cure against him. He's weak against holy magic. IIRC you can one shot him with a successful Raise.

Thanks Pockets!

Almost forgot about the cure magic trick(got my cure at level 2 so i pretty much wiped him out with like 3 hits).

I hate this boss as well. I managed to kill it instantly by throwing a pheonix down at it albeit for the 5th time though I had like 40 in my inventory so it didn't matter. Make sure each character has one HP Plus materia each to give you some leeway on the HP department. Magic wise, nothing really hits him hard apart from cure spells just dont use fire in this battle.

To ensure victory, use an X-Potion, however you can also use a Phoenix Down instead. The downside of using Phoenix Down is that there is only a 1/5 chance of it killing the boss.

Other than the cheap exploit of using an x-potion [I would never do that, as it just ruins what should be a challenging and fun fight], I'd suggest using the Fire ring you should have. I can't right off hand remember how you get it, but sometime before you get to that point you can find a Fire ring that makes the wearer not only immune to fire, but absorbs it [Heals instead of damages]. So if you get/got it, throw it on cloud, it will make your fight much less stressful.

However, I suspect you'll go the easy way out and use an x-potion/Pheonix Down lol.

Back